Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Nutrition Logs

Old 11-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
Mandy LaGreca

Default Mandy's nutrition log

Thanks for all your help everyone! I will start writing what I eat here before I dive too much into any tracking and crazy stuff like that. Im sure I can clean up my eating first and foremost.
PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST WITH ME

My IF plan is to IF on about 3 days a week, Saturdays, Mondays and Tuesdays. The days can change. Starting with 12-14 hours of fasting.

I do like to have a cup of coffee with a little milk when I wake up though, would that consider "breaking my fast"?

Anyway, today I am not IFing.
Woke up and had a cup of coffee with lowfat milk, 2 scoops whey protein, 1/2 banana and 1 tbsp defatted Peanut butter powder (PB2) to fuel me for my workout today, which is 30 minutes spinning and a 60 minute bodypump class which I teach.

I will post more later.

Thanks!!
Mandy LaGreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy LaGreca View Post
Thanks for all your help everyone! I will start writing what I eat here before I dive too much into any tracking and crazy stuff like that. Im sure I can clean up my eating first and foremost.
PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST WITH ME

My IF plan is to IF on about 3 days a week, Saturdays, Mondays and Tuesdays. The days can change. Starting with 12-14 hours of fasting.

I do like to have a cup of coffee with a little milk when I wake up though, would that consider "breaking my fast"?

Anyway, today I am not IFing.
Woke up and had a cup of coffee with lowfat milk, 2 scoops whey protein, 1/2 banana and 1 tbsp defatted Peanut butter powder (PB2) to fuel me for my workout today, which is 30 minutes spinning and a 60 minute bodypump class which I teach.

I will post more later.

Thanks!!
I am not sure if you are male or female but I would point out that many woman 9if that is the case) do not do as well with IFing as men (myself included). Also technically coffee with milk is breaking the fast!! I do my coffee black, unadorned at all!!

And in regards to your shake, real foods might actually serve you better. Most here do not do the "shake" thing. ANd myself, I do not eat PB, rather almond or other nut butters as I am eating more primal/paleo foods!! I would also switch up the banana to an apple or berries, less of an insulin spike.

Just my thoughts....
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Mandy:

Hi, there. I'm a veteran of the Diet Wars. Literally! I've lost about 85 lbs. and am currently working to take off 10 lbs. I gained during a recovery from surgery.

For most of us, it's hard to think about making sure we eat some high quality fat with our meals, but it honestly "works." It works in helping you feel full with fewer total calories, it works in terms of tastiness of food, it works in building health (if you choose the RIGHT fats) and it works in terms of fitness.

What are the right fats? Well, look for omega-3 fats in fatty fish like sardines, salmon, herring, mackeral; flaxseed and flaxseed oil; and other kinds of healthy fat found in nuts, seeds, avocados, olive, olive oil, coconut oil, nut butters, nut oils. Some people will tell you that the fat of fully-pastured animals is also healthful.

Your breakfast has no fat in it!

Also, that PB2 stuff is a manufactured, adulterated food. There's nothing wrong with a tablespoon or two of a good nut butter, like almond or macademia nut butter, as part of your breakfast, if you like that stuff.

If you are new to changing up your diet, try to think about getting some fat food and some protein food with each meal.

Susie
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Craig Loizides

Lean meat, lowfat milk, defatted peanut butter? Here's another vote for getting over your fear of fat.
Craig Loizides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Mandy LaGreca

hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Maybe you are right, but I have had poor experience with high fat diets in the past, as Ive always gained weight. Moderate fat works best for me, about 30-40% of my diet.

Anyway, regarding the whey shake. I only have them when I am in a time crunch. I have a one year baby who demands alot of my attention and doenst sleep at night, so I need to eat things that satisfy my hectic lifestyle. Standing there cooking all day when she is tugging at my legs is not desirable for me, I need a balance. I dont usually eat bananas, my dad bought them and they were accessible, will keep that in mind next time. Also, the PB2 was just added as flavoring that's all. I cant buy the real nut butters as they are binge triggers for me. (yes, it gets more complicated)

So, this was a hectic afternoon. I finished up teaching my class, after chit chatting with members and feeding the baby at the gym, I arrive home at 12pm hoping that she is alseep so mommy can eat lunch as mommy was starving. Well, this time she decides she wants to be awake, so I go driving around the neighborhood for a half hour, with an apple in hand because I was starving.

by the time i finally get around to eating, here is what Ive had, and its a big meal b/c my appetite was raging:
1 slice Ezekiel bread
2 eggs
10 almonds
mixed veggies of broccoli, onions, peppers, water chestnuts, mushrooms
1 tbsp flaxseed oil

I feel great now and WARM! Must be the fat.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
sarena kopciel

WHen you have time (yeah sure with a one year old) or a friend, spouse, other that can watch your toddler, try to cook up a lot of chicken breasts, meat patties or meatloaf, perhaps a roast, grill some fish, boil a dozen eggs, etc, etc. The key here is to always have protein available at the drop of the hat!! I also find I can add some nuts or a 1/2 an avocado and I have have emergency rations of something to use to build a meal.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Mandy LaGreca

I like the idea of boiled eggs, even though they taste horrible. Ok, maybe I just like treating myself with a little chocolate whey once in a while, maybe I will just use that as dessert instead..............
Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Mandy LaGreca

So I finally went down for a nap from 2-3pm and needed it after being up every 2 hrs last night.
Woke up grouchy at 3pm due to needing more sleep.
Woke up hungry.

3pm snack: 1/2 of an Ezekiel bun and one and half small apple, 5 almonds and a few bites of my baby's beef veggie mix that I made for her while we fed and ate together. Sometimes its hard to think about my needs when I have to meet hers first.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
sarena kopciel

Ideally you and babe could be eating the same thing, just quantity would change!!