Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Mike ODonnell

Default Keys to Gut Health

Someone asked me to do this, so here's what I believe is essential for "gut health". I may miss a few as it's late and I am about ready for that ZMA to kick in.

Foods:
- of course organic, free range, all that good stuff. The cleaner the foods, the better the digestion, less bacterial ingestion.
- more raw veg and fruits, live enzymes, less cooking and destruction of enzymes.
- No processed or "mutant" foods....microwaved, processed, etc...mutated from it's natural state for optimal breakdown. Microwaves have actually been shown to change the protein makeup.

Bacteria Balance - More good, kill the bad
- add probiotics (more good)
- avoid antibiotics (kills everything)
- Apple Cider Vinegar, Garlic good for killing off bad bacteria
- No sugar, alcohol (yikes), bread or vinegar (feeds bad bacteria)

Digestion
- more raw foods (above)
- add digestive enzymes
- try to elminate food combining (too much starch and proteins)
- Drink less water with meals, dilutes the enzyme pool

Gut Irritants
- reduce allergens/irritants such as wheat, dairy, corn, soy, etc.

Gut Repair
- allow for time off (fasting) to repair
- High fiber (keep the track clean)
- EFAs/Glutamine essential for repair and health
- Vitamins and minerals

That's all I can think of....as the Z...and the M....have kicked in.....now the A is about to lay me out.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Yael Grauer

Check this out too: http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndi...ivehealth.html
Old 01-05-2007, 04:29 AM   #3
Steve Liberati

Thanks for the post Mike. To the point.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Best part about gut health.....you lose weight and feel better.

Jordain Ruben is huge on it in his Maker's Diet (the link above), and more people are writing about it. You can also look up "Leaky Gut Syndrome", and see things like:

Below you can find a list of symptoms associated with Leaky Gut Syndrome: Abdominal pain (chronic), Insomnia, Bloating, Excessive flatulence (Robb), Anaphylactoid reactions, Shortness of breath, anxiety, Fevers of unknown origin, Gluten intolerance (celiac disease), Hemorrhoids, Heartburn, Malnutrition, Migraines, Muscle cramps, Multiple chemical sensitivities, Muscle pain, Myofascial pain, Mood swings, Poor exercise tolerance, Poor immunity, Poor memory, Recurrent bladder infections, Recurrent skin rashes, Brittle nails, Hair loss, Swollen lympth glands, Food allergies, Constipation, Diarhhoea, Liver dysfunction, Brain fatigue, Abdominal spasms, Constant hunger, Depleted appetite, Sluggishness, Depression, Chronic fatigue

Below you can find a list of conditions that have been linked with Leaky Gut Syndrome: Celiac disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Autism, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Eczema,
Dermatitis, Ulcerative Colitis, Candidiasis, Chronic hepatitis, Asthma, Cystic Fibrosis, Accelerated Aging, Endotoxemia, Colon cancer, Crohn's disease, Food allergies, Giardia, Arthritis, Pancreatic dysfunction, Hives, Acne, Anyklosing spondylitis, Inflammatory bowel disease, Liver dysfunction, Malnutrition, Psoriasis, Schizophrenia
Old 01-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

That list reminds me of most 'celebrex' or 'zoloft' comercials.

I just picked up some probotics from Costco. They are said to be full of the enzymes found in yogurt. Are these good? (don't know the name off hand).

Also,

How do they diagnose leaky gut syndrome? and Are there varying degrees?

Last edited by Jeremy Jones : 01-05-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: no pickles
Jeremy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

This is where we need Dr G to step in....he's the expert. Not sure how they diagnose leaky gut as far as I know, it is not an official medically recognized condition, more so through the naturopathic community. Chances are....all our guts are f&%$'d up. Probiotics are hard to really know.....some are cheap...some are really pricey....you may get what you pay for or you may find a decent bargain one.....same goes for dosages, how much do you need? Only if you could someone test for the biological balance, but don't think that is possible.

So you can see prevention can be a total guessing game. Much like fish oil and inflammation, some may need 3g a day for improvements...others may need 10g/day.

Oh yeah....Chlorine kills good bacteria and offsets the gut bacteria balance. So many suggest a shower filter as you get exposed to more water in a 5min shower than you can drink all day long.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
Yael Grauer

I know Dr. G sells a different kind, but I really like the probiotics you can buy on metabolictypingonline.com because they have something like 12 billion CFU's (90 mg) of probiotics using something like 10 different microorganisms--not just acidophilus.

Additionally and I think more importantly you want to get some kind of probiotics in your food, sauerkraut or kimchee or fermented veggies. Kombucha is good but really strong. Play with it and see how you feel. I don't take probiotics in pill form anymore except for every once in a while.

Dr. G would recommend the Body Ecology Diet book; I'd add to ignore all references to soy or the blood typing diet in said book.