Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Brian DeGennaro

Default I'm Working On It...

So I'm going to start logging my workouts here. Figured that would be better since my blog is going to be devoted to writing articles and my thoughts.

Yesterday I took off completely. I never thought I could be so wiped from my first meet. Wow. Today I just played around with DB clean and presses, weighted chins, windmills, pistols, some grip work, and so on. The next week of training is going to be like this: just some odds and ends work, a change of pace from weightlifting. Tomorrow I'll prolly do some sprints on the track and technique work with light weights.

Then when I get back into lifting, hit it hard. I need to get my technique spot on and I need to get used to handling heavier weights. My goal is to qualify for Jr. Nationals.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
Brian DeGennaro

Today was some light power snatches and clean&jerks. Started with 40kg on the snatches and then used 60kg for my work sets. I'd power snatch and ride the weights down as best as I could. I did triples on c&j with 60kg, doing what Greg told me to do: clean to various heights and ride it down. Things were feeling a lil off but that's because I'm still feeling it from Sunday.

Afterwards I did 3x8 of glute-ham raises, 1x10 DB clean and press 20kg (l/r), handstands, 2x5 press (60kg, 65kg), and 1x8 weighted pullups (~14kg). Not a terrible workout, just something easy to get the blood flowing.

Tomorrow I'll do some light snatches and cleans again, more DB work, more weighted pullups. I might try to do some sprints if I can as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Brian DeGennaro

Not tracking sets and reps with anything for the week. Light weights, technique only.

Exercises in order:

Snatches 40kg; focusing on pulling that bar nice and closer to the body, instead of swinging the bar out. A ton of triples.

Power cleans 40kg, 80kg; fucusing on whipping those elbows around fast. First set of power cleans the weight crashed on me as usual. Afterwards I fixed that problem. Did a bunch of doubles and triples.

Tested vertical jump. 28" after snatches and power cleans, and still feeling very off since Sunday.

RDLs; 60kg and 100kg, prolly around 8 reps for both sets.

Clean DL; a bunch of doubles with 140kg.

Glute Ham raises; made sure to squeeze the glutes REALLY hard before i curled up. Prolly did around 14 reps.

Pullups; strict, chest to bar, 5 reps.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Brian DeGennaro

So I started doing sprints again. Man I haven't done ANY running since the end of May, after my last track meet. I decided to take it relatively easy. I did 4 200m sprints, all at a 30s pace and a 200m jog inbetween each. I felt REALLY good, better than I normally do when I do repeats. Next week I'll prolly do another 4 200m at a faster pace or more at the same pace, we'll see.

Afterwards, played around with 40kg on the snatch, focusing on "power" snatching it and riding down at the same time. Eventually I decided it would be better to do 4-position snatches. Prolly totaled 4-5 sets with that at 40kg. Then I moved to 4-position cleans with 40kg, finishing with a jerk on the 4th clean. Topped it off with 3x3 with 112kg back squats.

Then I played around with pullups, doing a few sets of 5 with 15kg added, then sets of 3 on bar muscle ups; threw in some 30' handstand walks and planche holds. I like doing my gymnastic conditioning at the end, still keeps me fresh on my relative strength.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Brian DeGennaro

Sorry I haven't logged anything this week, I have just been taking it relatively easy, very little lifting or anything, just trying to rest up.

Monday and Tuesday I mostly worked on ankle and wrist flexibility by sitting in the bottom of a front squat for a count of 10 with 60kg. Played with presses (heavy single at 77kg) and pullups. After that I went home to LI for the holidays.

Wednesday I worked out with my friends at CFNYC. We did triples on front squats; kept it easy at 116kg for 3 sets of that. Afterwards we worked on rack jerks. Inbetween drops I ended up power-cleaning 84kg a few times. I did a few singles at 107kg, one near miss and one success at 116kg, and a miss at 125kg. Overall it wasn't a bad day; the misses happened because I pushed the bar away from me. I plan to hit next week hard, gearing up for the next meet and qualifying for Jr. Nationals.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Brian DeGennaro

I don't even want to talk about Monday's workout. I missed so many snatch attempts. The only good thing that happened was a 110kg rack jerk and the conditioning. I don't think I was concentrating at all while lifting, which is probably one of my largest issues.

Today however, was an amazing workout.

Snatch

40x3
50x3
60x3
65x2
75x1
77.5xF
77.5x1
77.5x1
70x1
70x1
70x1

Clean and Press

40x3
60x2
60x2
70x1
72.5x1
72.5x1
72.5x1
75xF

Clean and Jerk

60x3
70x3
70x1
80x1
80x1
80x1
80x1
Technique work at 40kg

Pendlay Row
40x5
60x5
70x5
70x5
70x5

Topped the workout with some farmer's walks with 55lbs in each hand. I added in Pendlay Rows because I think off the floor my back feels like a weak link. I don't know for sure, but I figure adding in more back strength is never a bad thing. Snatches were 10x better today because I was focusing really well. This is the first time I have only missed 1 snatch in a workout. Focused on staying on my heels, head up, weight close. Much less jumping forward.

For those wondering, I do clean and presses because I still find them a GREAT exercise. It's a great way to warm up for c&j and is great for shoulder strength.

Tomorrow is going to be light everything, heavy RDLs.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
Brian DeGennaro

Light day today.

3 Pos. Snatch

50kg
40 (power snatch)
40 (pwr)

Pendaly Row

40x5
40x5

Deadlift

120x3
130x3
150x1
150x1 (mix grip)

CF WoD (10 lunges, 50lb DB, 15 swings, 50lb DB; 5 rounds for time)
4:54

Press
61x3 x 5 sets

Not a bad day. All the deads up until the 2nd 150kg lift were clean deads. They were feeling really heavy today for some reason. I have pulled 150 for a triple, hook grip and all. Again I need to get used to pulling heavy from the floor.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #8
Brian DeGennaro

Wow my butt (and nothing else) is ridiculously sore! Didn't O-lift today to my surprise. Instead I was caught off guard at work by two friends and I lifted with them.

Press 4x4
61kg

Deadhang Pullups (chest to bar)
4x5

Back Squat 3x8-10
102kg

BS 1x25
61kg

It was a very out of the ordinary workout for me but really easy. I wasn't expecting to do so well with 102kg on the squats but hey, I had a good day despite a sore butt.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:59 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

I'm a big fan of the Pendlay rows, what do you think of them so far?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
Brian DeGennaro

It's hard to say at the moment. I've been hitting them pretty light with 70kg. I was thinking fo resting up this weekend, going for PR snatches and C&Js on Monday in prep for the meet Sunday. But I may do some rows today just to give my back something to do.

What do you think of them?