Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #1
Matt DeMinico
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default Snatch & OHS elbow strain

Whenever I land a "heavy" (heavy for me anyhow) snatch, right when I go to dump it, and shortly after I've dumped it, my left elbow hurts like crazy. It almost feels like it's hyperextended, or something with the joint. It's only on the left, and I'm not quite sure why it happens. The same thing happens when doing heavier OHS, except it happens while I'm doing the movement. Any ideas on why this is happening?
Matt DeMinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Allen Yeh
Senior Member
 
Allen Yeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,245
Default

Where in your elbow is the pain and what type of pain is it? A dull pain? A shoothing pain? A throbbing? Any other movements hurt it other than snatch and OHS?

I ask because I've been having left elbow/forearm issues since March. I put forearm because it's not exactly what I consider the elbow area. I had rehabbed it pretty well until September when I rehurt myself doing death by pullups. The movements that hurt are heavy OHS, moderate snatches, push presses, jerks, kipping pullups. I can sometimes feel it there when I do rows and such as well.
__________________
"And for crying out loud. Don't go into the pain cave. I can't stress this enough. Your Totem Animal won't be in there to help you. You'll be on your own. The Pain Cave is for cowards.
Pain is your companion, don't go hide from it."
-Kelly Starrett
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Early elbow bend = significant stress on the joint = pain
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Do your elbows hyperextend? Have you ever injured that elbow?

If so, you may need to work on figuring out the "straight" position for your elbows and work on your overhead position with that new elbow angle (or should I say, lack of angle).
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Where in your elbow is the pain and what type of pain is it? A dull pain? A shoothing pain? A throbbing? Any other movements hurt it other than snatch and OHS?

I ask because I've been having left elbow/forearm issues since March. I put forearm because it's not exactly what I consider the elbow area. I had rehabbed it pretty well until September when I rehurt myself doing death by pullups. The movements that hurt are heavy OHS, moderate snatches, push presses, jerks, kipping pullups. I can sometimes feel it there when I do rows and such as well.
It's on the inside, it's kinda an "intense dull" pain when it's happening, and sticks around for a short time after. It's only at the lockout position, never when doing anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Early elbow bend = significant stress on the joint = pain
I'd put $1000 down on a bet that it's *not* early elbow bend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Do your elbows hyperextend? Have you ever injured that elbow?

If so, you may need to work on figuring out the "straight" position for your elbows and work on your overhead position with that new elbow angle (or should I say, lack of angle).
I don't think my elbows hyperextend, but that could be the problem, just a slight bit if anything, though I have no way of telling. I'm wondering if maybe I'm twisting one elbow in or out too much, or too little, not sure.
Matt DeMinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #6
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

If you could get some video of some snatches and OHS, I'm sure Greg E. could sort you out in no time.

Until then, rest, ART, foam rolling, and cold laser therapy would be things to try.

Elbows respond well to rest.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
Matt DeMinico
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
If you could get some video of some snatches and OHS, I'm sure Greg E. could sort you out in no time.

Until then, rest, ART, foam rolling, and cold laser therapy would be things to try.

Elbows respond well to rest.
It seems to be a persistent thing. I haven't aggravated it in a long time, and it always comes right back the first time, it's got to be a technique thing.
Matt DeMinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Good call then. Time for technique review!
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.