Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 12-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Daniel Labuz

Default Question about Body Fat %

I heard it was not healthy, or at least not ideal to have a body fat % under 6-7% for long periods of time. Why is that?

I know that those elite bicyclists have really low body fat %, sometimes in the 3-4% mark I've noticed, do they typically stay that way all the time or just on race day/season?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Emily Mattes

I'm guessing bicyclists are not actually in the 3-4% range. Otherwise they wouldn't be performing all that well.

More medically-trained people than me will soon chime in, but there is a level of essential fat in your body, fat surrounding your organs and such, that's necessary for survival. Get lower than it and shit stops working.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

If BF% gets too low, the hormonal systems get all out of whack, that's for sure. Technical terms, of course.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

I have started to see a trend where people tend to feel really good between 8-12% -give or take a % point- BF depending on the person. This observation is mainly from a couple of discussion boards that I frequent.

I've also read, probably from crazy ole' Poliquin, that insulin sensitivity for males tends to be best sub 10%. I personally feel best around 8-10% BF... and I feel like all hell right now which is an indication of where my body comp is at post mass gain.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
George Mounce

I'm with Derek, I do best at around 10%.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Labuz View Post
I heard it was not healthy, or at least not ideal to have a body fat % under 6-7% for long periods of time. Why is that?

I know that those elite bicyclists have really low body fat %, sometimes in the 3-4% mark I've noticed, do they typically stay that way all the time or just on race day/season?

they really drop to sick levels during long stage races..it's not uncommon for amateurs to drop as much as 10 pounds on a 4 day stage race.....anyone who says they are consistently under 5% is

a) lying to themselves
b) a genetic freak
c) a taking hormonal aids.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Daniel Labuz

I see, thanks for the replies. I was jut wondering because a few climbing folks I've talked to say they stay around 4-5% all the time, and it doesn't seem like they pay much attention to diet little or at all.

I also read somewhere that bicyclists do have very low body fat %, but it didn't say if they consistently held that. I wouldn't think so due to the fact that there would be no reason to after race season since a lot of them do strength training
Old 12-27-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
Will Moore

Over the years, I have been able to maintain around 5% for long periods of time...however, it comes with a price:
1) Nearly impossible to gain additional strength or muscle in this state.
2) Enurance suffers
3) A general "crappy" feeling and bad attitude that never seems to go away.

Most of the time, these low percentages occured "accidentally" as a result of my diet, activity level at the time. Usually, when the cold months approach, I instinctively consume more calories and the percentage increases.
Will Moore is offline   Reply With Quote