Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 12-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
Emily Mattes

Default Questions about self-myofascial release

I read that eventually, if you do SMR enough it will stop hurting. When does this happen? Does it happen if you're using PVC pipe instead of a foam roller?

Also, can you do it too much? Since I got my 4'' PVC pipe a week ago I've been doing it after every workout along with home sessions, for at total of at least two or three times a day. In addition I also roll a tennis ball and smaller PVC pipe over my quads while sitting around as they seem to give me the most trouble. Is this OK?
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
Ben Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I read that eventually, if you do SMR enough it will stop hurting. When does this happen? Does it happen if you're using PVC pipe instead of a foam roller?

Also, can you do it too much? Since I got my 4'' PVC pipe a week ago I've been doing it after every workout along with home sessions, for at total of at least two or three times a day. In addition I also roll a tennis ball and smaller PVC pipe over my quads while sitting around as they seem to give me the most trouble. Is this OK?
No, it's NOT OK, and yes, ANY is too much. Throw that junk away and read my answer to your other question:
http://www.cathletics.com/forum/show...7&postcount=13
http://www.bettercise.com/

“People who do not eat butterflies will wear their clothes the wrong way, and people who wear their clothes the wrong way are inviting lemmings inside.”
~Muzhduk the Ugli the Third~
Ben Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Emily Mattes

Well, I'd definitely like to try the stretching method you mentioned. I emailed you.

Regarding SMR, I should mention it hurts while I do it but afterwards I feel pretty good--when I was asking about the hurting it was because I read when you do it enough it won't hurt while you're doing it. It seems to help with the stiffness a bit. I'll agree that a lot of the "miracle cure" stuff that seems to be attached to it smells hokey, but at the worst it still gives me a rather nice massage and warm-down.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

PVC is pretty tough on the body, that's why they tend to refer to it as "foam rolling", not "hard PVC pipe rolling".

FWIW, Dr. Cobb of Z-Health is not a fan of foam rolling either. I'd personally rather get some Thai massage...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

It will go away. Just means quads are one of the problem spots.. like they are for most of us since there a large muscle group. Will take longer cause its PVC instead of foam like Garrett said.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Grissim Connery

just like any body adaptation, a splurge all at once isn't gonna make it go faster. just relax and let your body sink into its own pace.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
Alan O'Donnell

Sorry, noob question, but what exactly does foam rolling do, and assuming it does it, what's the controversy?

I've done a little SMR since starting crossfit and have gotten a few clinical deep-tissue massages, but I can't say that I've noticed any improvement.
Alan O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Greg Battaglia

I'm surprised to see a few knocks to SMR. I has been a godsend for me personally. Combined with TGU's and shoulder dislocates a consistent pre-workout tennis ball session on my shoulders has brought me from being in severe pain when overhead lifting to only slight occasional pain. I'm a believer in SMR, it works well for me and it's cheap.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Derek Weaver

I think SMR is great. I've never read anything against it that's made much sense to me.

I never really got the pvc thing, but foam rolling has been fantastic.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Fury View Post
No, it's NOT OK, and yes, ANY is too much. Throw that junk away and read my answer to your other question:
http://www.cathletics.com/forum/show...7&postcount=13
Would you mind sending me the 11 stretches?
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote