Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Brian Lau

Default Snatch and Clean & Jerk critique

Finally managed to get some decent video, and would be grateful if you guys could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Snatch - http://www.vimeo.com/2633915
Clean & Jerk - http://www.vimeo.com/2633806

Links to the original quicktime movies available at the bottom right of each page for those who want to do the frame-by-frame thing.

I can see some problems, but I'm a bit confused on how to go about fixing things. Pointers or cues on what to focus on (and in what order) are especially appreciated.
Brian Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
Yuen Sohn

Brian,
Looking good.

I think the biggest thing holding you back at the moment is that you're coming up on your toes early:

and that position is subsequently affecting your power.

Try keeping the weight on your heels a bit longer leading into the 2nd pull. See Steiner's sequence and notice how late into the lift he keeps his feet planted:
http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3427

Also, get your back set tight (arched) before you commence the lift. You get a bit of air time, but I wouldn't lose sleep over that right now.

Last edited by Yuen Sohn : 12-28-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: less blah blah; more Steiner
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Brian Lau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuen Sohn View Post
I think the biggest thing holding you back at the moment is that you're coming up on your toes early:
and that position is subsequently affecting your power.
Thanks for having a look!

Besides cueing myself to stay on my heels, are there any specific assistance exercises that can help keep me on my heels longer? I had no idea I was coming up early until the video, so it's not a conscious extension.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Yuen Sohn

One thing you can try is working the snatch from the top down, starting from the hang above the knees then eventually adding in the preceding steps (hang below the knee, floor) as you feel comfortable with each segment of the lift. The intent is to help you get comfortable with your 2nd pull without having to worry about all the stuff that comes before it

Stand with the bar using your snatch grip, then slowly slide it down to above knee level -- while doing so, make sure to maintain a tight lower back and big chest, push your butt back, keep the bar close to body all the while keeping the weight on the heels. When the bar is just above knee level, snatch it (for some reason, the cue of pushing myself off the floor clicked more with me than the "jump" cue, but they're both intended to accomplish the same thing). That's how my coach had me start out and I think Dan John terms these 'RDL Snatches'

As said before, you'll eventually want to add in the preceding stages of the lift (below the knee, floor) to get comfortable with the transitions.
P.S. there's a great video of a 3 position snatch in the Exercises section of this website.

Good luck!
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Brian Lau

Thanks for the info! I tried hang snatches and 3-position snatches today. These felt great, and I'll keep at them for a couple of weeks and get some more video.