Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Trygve Lunde

Default Few fasting and food questions :)

Will coffee 30 min before my workout increase the fat burning process ? and also a cup of coffee as a pwo drink? this is of course during fasting.
Is water with some squeezed lemon good do drink when fasting or should i go for pure water? ive also heared that natron/baking powder can also be good? but this will break the fast?
During the eating, should i eat the fruit at the end of every meal? or does that matter?

Thanx

i got rid of my rash btw. it was all the dairy and wheat shit. whole food 4 ever, and welcome 09 THIS IS MY YEAR i can feel it. happy new year everybody
Trygve Lunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Caffeine can have a lypolytic effect. Not sure if your coffee would be enough to make much of a difference.

Water with a squeeze of lemon is a great thing to drink while fasting.

Don't know about baking powder.

Eat the fruit where you feel best.

Stop over thinking, work hard and enjoy the ride.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Patrick Yeung

I havent been at this for very long, nor am I an expert, but heres what ive known/experienced.

From what I understand, the whole thing about IFing is no spikes in blood sugar during the day. Coffee, with pretty much no calories, if any, should be fine if this is the case. For the same reasons, I believe that any increase from lemon would be negligabile.

I always have coffee in the morning (pre workout) and again after with maybe about a tbsp or so of heavy cream between the two. I also add about 5 grams BCAA's to each. I have seen better results with this than not.

BCAA's are Branched chain amino acids, and have been shown to increase muscle regeneration and building, even when taken alone. However, unlike say a protein shake, it has no calories I blieve, or at least not on any of the packaging, and would allow for working out in a fasted state, but be able to ingest protein at the same time.

Congrats on the rash clearing up. I can understand the wheat, a lot of people are gluten intolerant and dont known it. Though, I dont see anything wrong with dairy. Isnt that considered whole food too?
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Yeung View Post
I havent been at this for very long, nor am I an expert, but heres what ive known/experienced.

From what I understand, the whole thing about IFing is no spikes in blood sugar during the day. Coffee, with pretty much no calories, if any, should be fine if this is the case. For the same reasons, I believe that any increase from lemon would be negligabile.

I always have coffee in the morning (pre workout) and again after with maybe about a tbsp or so of heavy cream between the two. I also add about 5 grams BCAA's to each. I have seen better results with this than not.

BCAA's are Branched chain amino acids, and have been shown to increase muscle regeneration and building, even when taken alone. However, unlike say a protein shake, it has no calories I blieve, or at least not on any of the packaging, and would allow for working out in a fasted state, but be able to ingest protein at the same time.

Congrats on the rash clearing up. I can understand the wheat, a lot of people are gluten intolerant and dont known it. Though, I dont see anything wrong with dairy. Isnt that considered whole food too?
Correct, black coffee is fine.

BCAA's do have a slight caloric value. Martin Berkhan has a good take on BCAA's... as does Lyle McDonald.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
Trygve Lunde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Yeung View Post

not the shitty pasturized etc. stuff but raw is fine i guess, but that is not around here.

anyway thanx again for respons
Old 01-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Trygve Lunde

also, how healthy is coffee? is it something that i should be drinking? im talking about plain coffee no sugar etc. added. Or is it best to quit it?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

It's fine. Stop over thinking everything. Eat "clean". You'll do great so long as you don't continue to get caught up in paralysis by analysis.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygve Lunde View Post
also, how healthy is coffee? is it something that i should be drinking? im talking about plain coffee no sugar etc. added. Or is it best to quit it?
Its the number one source of antioxidants in the American diet. I love the stuff.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Donald Lee

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=41017
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
Kisholi Mendis

Default fruit

With regards to the fruit, I personally find it necessary to eat it AFTER a meal. On the odd occasion I have absent-mindedly munched on an apple, I have got severe hunger pangs 15-20 minutes later. I guess it's the insulin spike and always try to eat this stuff after a good protein/fat meal, during my eating window. Of course ymmv and all that.