Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 01-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default 9 yr old vs. pit bull

This is incredible...

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/l...?video=YHI&t=a
Old 01-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Allen Yeh

That's awesome, some of the comments about the kid are just ignorant on other articles I have seen about it.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
Blair Lowe

That boy is to be commended. Definitely should get an applause as that was balls to the walls.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
Grissim Connery

good stuff. i sometimes spar with my dogs some. i've never put one out. it's fun to see that the same stuff kinda works on them. the hard part is that their ribcages seem rounder, so they are about to roll off their backs more easily. thus side control sucks, but at least they give you their back hah.

i probably would have run away hah. pit bulls are no joke. funny that a 9 year old has more balls than me. thus i'm gonna take it upon myself to be an ass hole and point out that the kid had his palm incorrectly facing toward the dog's head. maybe that can boost my ego somehow...
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Derek Simonds

My instructor and I always joke about sparring with our dogs. I triangled my lab before. Not an easy task mind you.

I wish I had learned a RNC at 9 even with my hand turned the wrong way.... Even if I had known how I don't think I would have been able to attack the dog. Crazy.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

One of the middle school girls at my school saw her friend get bitten by a dog and literally pulled her out when the dog would not let go. Pretty courageous.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

He's a brave kid, no question about that, and he did exactly the right thing pinning the dog and choking it because 99 times out of 100 a dog will submit when it's pinned by the neck because that's how fights between dogs are usually settled.

I used to work for an animal charity training and rehabilitating dogs and I'd think twice about getting into a fight with a pit bull because I know from experience that anything bigger than a border collie can do you serious damage. The worst fight I got into with a dog was with a rottweiller bitch that attacked me because she got a little freaked out when I entered what she considered her territory. She didn't have a collar on at the time and to be honest I'm not sure I could have pinned her so I had to kick her in the jaw as she charged me to stop the attack. The remarkable thing is that despite getting kicked square in the jaw with a heavy combat boot she wasn't injured but the shock and pain was enough to turn fight into flight which was lucky for me as she would have ripped me to pieces if she'd managed to get her teeth into me. I think the whole thing was over in less than a minute and once I'd calmed her down she turned out to be a very gentle, affectionate and good natured dog but because of that one attack she was deemed too high a risk to re-home and she became one of the kennels permanant residents.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
George Mounce

Isn't that how Gracie got his nickname, same kind of deal?
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
Chris Rice

The boy did a great job but was also pretty lucky not to get himself chewed up - a full grown pitbull can do some serious damage! The little fellow should get some sort of award for his courage.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
Blair Lowe

A heavy gymbag full of books when swung does good damage to medium sized dogs as will combat boots or a fair sized stick or pipe.

A rock in a hand works but a small sledge works better ( I had to carry one around to hammer back on the crank arm on my POS bike for awhile and since I was biking through a somewhat rural area with free to run dogs, they would chase me alongside ).

I can't say I'd try to grapple a pit or anything bigger if by myself. However, he wasn't doing it to fight it, he was doing it to save that friend of his and that is beyond words commendable.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote