Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 01-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Garrett Smith

Default Vitamin D and Athletic Performance

The Vitamin D Newsletter
March, 2007
Peak Athletic Performance and Vitamin D

Could be the best bang-for-the-buck supplement out there according to the research he collected.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
Blair Lowe

Holy guacamole! Even better than milk!

Besides sun and fish, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of VitD in anything besides a bit in eggs and livers ( blech, though I hear the dessicated Argentinian beef liver is an awesome supplement for energy ).
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post
Holy guacamole! Even better than milk!
Unless it is raw, they add Vit D to milk. It would be fair to say it is probably the best source of Vit D for most.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

On milk and Vitamin D: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
Quote:
SUNSHINE AND YOUR HEALTH

If one regularly avoids sunlight exposure, research indicates a necessity to supplement with at least 5,000 units (IU) of vitamin D daily. To obtain this amount from milk one would need to consume 50 glasses.
I don't even think the GOMAD program would cover the 50 glasses--even though it might feel like it...
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Unless it is raw, they add Vit D to milk. It would be fair to say it is probably the best source of Vit D for most.
I'd say Cod Liver Oil....2 for 1 with EPA/DHA and Vit D.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

MOD,
Carlson's has 2000iu A and 400iu D per teaspoon. To get the D mentioned above (for any of us with jobs that don't allow us to get 20 minutes of full-body midday sun exposure), that's ~12 teaspoons (4 Tablespoons). That would also be 24,000iu of A, more than even WAP recommends for adults--and close to what Chris Forbis said he got hypervitaminosis A from @ 30,000iu A / day). That would also be quite a bit of EPA/DHA, about 12 grams of total EPA/DHA in the 60g of fish oil. I had an ND friend who tried taking 15g of EPA daily and he definitely had some excessive problems with clotting due to that high a dose.

Green Pastures CLO has 5000iu A and 500iu D per serving. Obviously one gets into huge vitamin A doses if they were to try to get 5000iu D from this product alone, let alone 2000iu D. Depending on which product from Green Pastures one gets, there may or may not be much EPA/DHA present, as that isn't so much what their products try to emphasize.

The combo I'm tending toward is 2400mg total EPA/DHA, 5000iu A / 500iu D from CLO, and then filling in the D3 from a cholecalciferol product as necessary.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
George Mounce

My point is, the general population is getting it from milk.

Not to insult here, but this sounds very snake oil. All the sudden Vit D is the cure-all for everything? I will wave the BS flag.

So now we all must take fish oil and Vit D, when 10 years ago it was Vit C.

What the hell happened to real food? Our paleo ancestors weren't out looking for pills and capsules.

I have gotten sick one time in the last 9 or so years, and I can guaruntee it had nothing to do with vit D. Viruses will occur regardless.

I mean the addiction of the board to Vit D has bordered on the same thing Keys was talking about with saturated fats and cholesterol. Am I supposed to believe that the Vitamin D Council isn't biased?

Heck I can find a green tea study that shows drinking green tea lowers the risk of all forms of death!
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Not to insult here, but this sounds very snake oil. All the sudden Vit D is the cure-all for everything? I will wave the BS flag.
Funny that the original snake oil was actually from Chinese sea snakes and was full of EPA (which helped people and their aches and pains).

Anyways....I'm just sticking with fish oil or eating fish (Vit D in them...yummy sardines). That and sunshine. I bet there are bigger issues like why people do not retain Vit D or properly utilize it....something tells me it's a series of complicated processes that all comes back to eating right, moderate exercise, no sugar, being outside and living a happy/less stressful life while getting plenty of sleep. That's my game plan.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

The avoidance of the sun and the detrimental effects are finally being realized, along with optimal blood levels of vitamin D (which should be those of folks spending time every day out in the midday sun with no sunscreen and plenty of skin exposed).

I'm one for believing it, as no life would exist without the sun, and most people are getting pathetic amounts of sunlight on bare skin.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Funny that the original snake oil was actually from Chinese sea snakes and was full of EPA (which helped people and their aches and pains).

Anyways....I'm just sticking with fish oil or eating fish (Vit D in them...yummy sardines). That and sunshine. I bet there are bigger issues like why people do not retain Vit D or properly utilize it....something tells me it's a series of complicated processes that all comes back to eating right, moderate exercise, no sugar, being outside and living a happy/less stressful life while getting plenty of sleep. That's my game plan.

In The Prize there is another genesis myth for term "snake oil" that suggests it started when settlers in Penn. noted that the Seneca tribe would skim oil off the surface of the river..thsi oil was runoff from petroleum deposits....folks bottled it and sold it as "Seneca Oli" a curative for all what ails ye.....

really puts the yum in petroleum.

Less vitamin D in my story I'll bet. I prefer your snake version.