Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-19-2009, 01:42 AM   #1
Robert Moseley

Default Rob's CA WOD using mainly DB's

Hi all Ive started the CA WOD but.. mainly use DB's rather than the BB for the oly lifts also for the front squat i sometimes substitute zercher squats and db front squats.

The reason well... I'm just to lazy to learn the oly lifts with a barbell lol

No thats a joke there is a reasoning behind my madness i guess some personal history might explain.

Ive practiced many different sports climbing, caving, boxing, a bit of judo, running, power lifting the usual body building routines when i was younger (had my first weight set when i was 12) and spent 4 years running around with a pack on my back on behalf of Her Majesty.

I don't have great genetics I'm no special athlete (39 yrs young now ) just loved my training and I've noticed most guys from the forces love hurting themselves training (god bless met cons).

I first came across crossfit roughly 3 1/2years ago and it seemed a natural progression to my training I was after more functionality and GPP. I have to say i have never felt so good as i did then.
I found with the clean I had a big problem racking the weight and no matter how much stretching the triceps and wrist joints i just couldn't get the bar onto the shoulder, I guessed I was one of those that couldn't rack the weight.
I got to a 115kg clean and the weight was getting to much for my wrists so decided to use the dB's

After a week of using the dB's I noticed a big diff on the punch bag, as well as my take downs when practicing a bit of wrestling with a mate.

Well 2 years ago i started with a problem with my leg which messed my training up and the problem was only finally diagnosed when it went to my other leg about 8 months ago. After a course of tabs I'm BACK during the time off a mate who is into mma mentioned Ross training so i ordered one of his books and did some research.

I came back about 2 months ago gave Ross a try and liked some of his ideas but missed crossfit, i also wanted to be lifting more but had no idea how to fit it into a routine. After reading on the forums i came across you guys and love what i see so... I'm planning to try and keep the functionality i found with the dumbbells, add a bit of Ross and follow your WOD and see where it takes me.

This is the start of the second week strength for me and loved the first week, which ill post later. My legs felt drained and my core felt tired but that was probably to many met cons (everyday lol)

Another thing due to the problem with my leg i have to run everyday so the metcon tends to always have a running element, just now its on the treadmill but come summer time I'll be back on the track.

To give you an idea of what i can lift for progression purposes

All db lifts are from the floor
Db one arm clean and push press 40kg two arm 32.5kg (each db)
Db one arm power snatch 50kg two arm (30 kg)
squat bb 140kg (3 reps)
deadlift 185kg (3 reps)
zercher squat 100kg (1 rep) Just love this exercise
Hang power clean 100kg (1 rep)

This is some of the top of my head ill add more when i can find the scraps of paper i wrote them on i think there are crammed into my chalk bag.

Now i know i wont get as much power from using the dB's compared to the bb but I'm interested to see where i can go with this. I'm still unsure if i should be bringing the dB's from the floor or not but ill be mixing it around so see what happens.

Also after my warm up i practice the frog or handstand press ups both of which I'm so lame but hey.. i like a challenge.

Well thanks for reading and ill post last weeks (1st week of strength) later.
Robert Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Welcome, what is the problem with the legs?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Robert Moseley

Thanks for the welcome Allen, and its just a genetic blood clotting thing going on nothing to serious more of a pain in the ass than anything.

Well time to dig out those scraps of paper and give you all a good laugh

Day 1 Week 1 of the strength workout that started on Dec15th

Back squat - 83% x 3 x 5 110kg
Snatch deadlift - 110% (of snatch) x 3 x 3 60kg db so a one arm dead really
Push press - 80% x 5 x 5 40kg db one arm clean and press
weighgted pull ups 3x3 20kg plate
Stomach The flag as low as i could for 2 then planks using a swiss ball 3x30 secs

the metcon was
run 800m
30leg lunges (each knee touches the floor)
15dips
farmers walk 30m with 35kg db in each hand
20 pressups
rinse and repeat no rest only walking to dumbells etc'
Old 01-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

Welcome to the training forums as Allen said. You might want to give 1 arm / 1 leg DB DL's a go and see how they work for you. I don't know that there is any real carryover to the DB olympic lifts but I have played with DB DL's a lot when I injured my leg last year. Lot's of fun variants, same side leg and arm, opposite side leg and arm, suitcase or db between the leg. Good stuff.

Enjoy the DB's and good luck with the leg thingy. My mother in law has a similar problem it has a strange name something 5, whatever it is sucks. She is on blood thinners pretty much for the rest of her life. Twice she has been hospitalized due to clots and the pain. Pretty amazing how our bodies work or don't sometimes.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Chris H Laing

You have a really interesting idea. I'll be keeping my eye on your log to see how everything works out.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

I originally started CF with just KBs and DBs, I think you'll be fine.

As far as the leg clotting issues, you may want to look into nattokinase and lumbrokinase:
  1. http://books.google.com/books?id=4Tf...sult#PPA107,M1
  2. http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T447441.html
Also, Hemex is a laboratory that specializes in blood coagulation disorders, you might want to contact their client phone line to see if you can find out more info on your situation.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
Robert Moseley

Thanks for the replies and the welcomes I much appreciate it.

Derek I have the same as your mother in law for a guess, ive Factor v (5) leiden im suppose to go back to the docs soon and start aspirin treatment but im holding off for a bit and trying to see if i can manage it myself hate being on medication it makes me feel weak if that makes sense, but i know i need to go back soon. And love the idea of the one legged stuff, definatley going to start throwing them in soon. I do use the bb for back squats and zercher (sub for fronts) squats.

Thanks chris not sure where ill end up going with this but for now it feels great, ill be starting bag work soon so see what the power and speed are like.

Thanks Garret ill look into those, ive done some research already NHS direct etc so have a reasonble understanding but more info cant hurt.

Cant read my dam notes from last week so going to have to start the log from this week.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 AM   #8
Robert Moseley

Well today think maybe went a bit to heavy on the mid hang muscle snatch

Added db split jerks for warm up,
2 dB's for singles and doubles 10kg (each) 15kg 20, 25kg
The went to single db 30kg 40 and then 45kg
All from the floor I think I need to try hanging to make it harder once I get to 50kg one arm ill prob try that.

Mid-hang muscle snatch - 62% x 3 x 3 25kg DB's
2-position snatch (floor, mid-thigh) - 60% x 4 sets 30kg db

Metcon

The bear 45kg BB 4reps then 10x15kg db swings per arm then repeat for 4 sets.
Time wasn't exact but looked at under 6mins which isn't great but felt better than last week.

some stomach.. flag (or as best i can) 2x2 then 3 30sec plank holds using a swiss ball.
I guess Russian twists using an adjustable pulley mc. Hard and fast 4x3 i forgot to write the weights down but finish 3 plates from the bottom, I think it turns into more of a judo throw type movement rather than a Russian twist form wise.

Then a steady run for 10 Min's just to work the legs.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Robert Moseley

Bad day.. worked a 14hr shift and didnt get home till gone ten this morning, was helping a mate out this afternoon, have the plumbers in working on the bathroom and knew i wasnt going to get any sleep. So had a shower and dragged my sorry ass down the gym, couldnt get a metcon in just to tired so did the routine of the day.

front squat - 75% x 3, 81% x 1, 77% x 3, 80% x 1, 79% x 3
Snatch pull - 103% (of snatch) x 3 x 3
Rack jerk - heavy single; 90% x 1, 85% x 1 x 2

my version is...

zercher squat played around with what felt right.. 82.5kg x3 87.5kg x1 85kg x3 then 90kg x1 85kg .. ran them one after the other rested a few mins then did it again.
As I dont do the snatch on the bb just use db i went for a close grip pull 115kgx3 x3
rack jerk.. now for some reason i struggle with this, the jerk movement hurts my lower back. I much prefer the split jerk, bumbled through them and ended up with single db 35kg and 30kg.
My stabilising muscles felt pretty weak not sure why, could be that id been awake for over 24hrs and feeling flaked.

Note *
Research on the jerks and see if i can get away with the split jerks without much power loss.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
Chris H Laing

What youre doing is so cool and original. I love it!!

How are you doing the snatchs and cleans? Do you go one arm or two? Also do you land in a full squat when it called for it? I feel like full squat one armed snatchs would be really tough.

Keep up the strong work.