Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
Robbie Bremner

Default Overreaching Week

I am planning to do a weeks overreaching for weightlifting. I was wondering if anyone has some examples, ideas or tips to provide. There was an excellent article in the most recent NSCA SCJ about overreaching which I found extremely helpful in the palnning of the week and recovery week too.
I am looking at 2 sessions a day, with emphasis on strength and CJ & Snatch.
Any Ideas?
Robbie Bremner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Donald Lee

Are you planning on consistently overreaching? Are they going to be planned, etc.? Are you planning on deloading every 4th week or so?

Also, I'm curious as to why you plan on overreaching.

I have an E-book on deloading, so I may be able to provide you with some ideas for your deload week if that would be helpful.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Robbie Bremner

I am planning 1 week of overreaching. Not overreaching on a mesocycle scale.
A recent journal which was written by Leo Totten and Co showed that 1 week planned overreaching showed increase in peformance for weightlifters.
they only give one example of a session and i was hoping for a few more examples. I am currently writting the sessions and also need to plan the following tapering week. Will be 6 days training with 2 sessions on days 1,4,6 and 3 on days2,3,5.
Any tips for either week would be helpful.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I have an E-book on deloading, so I may be able to provide you with some ideas for your deload week if that would be helpful.
That sounds interesting. Where did you find it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Bremner View Post
am currently writting the sessions and also need to plan the following tapering week. Will be 6 days training with 2 sessions on days 1,4,6 and 3 on days2,3,5.
Any tips for either week would be helpful.
For the sessions you could probably just go back through the weeks of CA wods, and then put a strength and tech/metcon together on the same day for days 1,4,6 and do something like strength, tech/metcon, strength or vice versa for the other days.

For the back off week, you could cut back to one workout a day, and maybe halve the volume or lower the weight being used, or both.

Let us know how it goes once you get to it.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Quote:
That sounds interesting. Where did you find it?
I purchased Eric Cressey's Art of the Deload.

I searched through the net and found a couple articles that may be useful.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/overreaching.pdf

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly16.htm
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Robbie Bremner

Chris
Was hoping for something more specific for weightlifting and I'll have to leave out the metcon stuff as I want to see specific results in my lifting.
I got the info from NSCA strength & conditioning journal. Already knew about overreaching but on a mesocycle scale, not on a microcycle scale.

Donald
Had a quick scan and I have searched most of the info I found was similar to you. That is the comparison between overtraining and overreaching. As I have said, hoping for actual programme examples.
I'm throwing it together so can send it through to you if you want.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Well, it depends on what kind of schedule you're already on because that factors into how much you need to put in to develop a significant overreach state.

If you're doing 5 days a week already, you should increase the number of sessions to approximately 9 or 10. For example, 6 days a week with two a days 3-4 times a week.

If you just got off like SS (3x a week) or something like that then it might be a good idea to go to 6 sessions.

This can all depending how much you're doing each session too whether you can add more or less. 3x a week can become 9+ times a week if you're only doing a couple of lifts per session.

The key point to take away is that planning something like this depends mostly on your current level of conditioning. So if you're looking for help it would be a good idea to note what you have BEEN doing for the past couple weeks if not months.

Also, note that in the supercomp phase you must EAT LIKE A PIG. I did a 2 weeks planned overreaching session once and didn't eat enough the following week and ended up losing some strength, lol.

Last edited by Steven Low; 01-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Robbie Bremner

I currently have been doing a month of lifting and strength, working down to 1RM week backed up by posterior chain movement.

Snatch 70
CJ 105
BS 140
FS 130
Deadlift 180

I am going to use a session of-
1Snatch and CJ
2BS,PP,SLDL, bench.
3Block clean, block snatch, deadlift.
4OHS,Drop Snatch,Snatch Pull
5FS, Clean Pull, Clean-1st pull into trans., Jerks

This is a little vague but any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Dave Van Skike

why?

unless you're a 65-70kilo class lifter I think you're lifts will get more of a bump from milking a standard three week build up followed by a deload. with that FS poundage, I'd look at upping your back squat and DL as a focus. Two a days can easily be done without putting yourself in a hole.

first session lower vol. skill work, second session volume based press/pull or press/squat. dead simple.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #10
Robbie Bremner

Dave
For the past 3 months I have been doing a lot of skill work on my lifts to the detriment of Bs and deadlift. Will push these on in the overreaching week and just pure and simple want to see how tough a week would be and how the deload week will work.