Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Billy_Brummel

Default Give me knowledge!

OK, I'm looking to do some reading on anything remotely training oriented. Wanna give me some book recommendations? I'm a training neophyte, so I'm looking to lay some foundation here. The books I already have on the list are Starting Strength, Paleo Diet, Body Ecology Diet.

Thanks!
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Get a copy of Robbs brain...it has everything you will ever want to know...and things you don't want to know about.

Seriously...it all depends on your training focus. For instance are you going to want to gain lbs or train for sports? So many books out there. The 3 you have on the list are probably the best for overall health, strength and nutrition. Until you have read those, I really wouldn't worry about what to get next. Too many books will just make it more complicated than it needs to be....but once you have that solid foundation I like the "Eat, Move and Be Healthy" book by Chek (most of it is really nutritional), "Functional Training for Sports" by Boyle for things to add in for sports training, and pretty much any information is on the internet for free if you want to do some digging around sites and their forums/message boards (like this one, CF, T-nation, etc....have to go through alot of BS stuff but there are good articles out there....just find good authors and follow their stuff, like Poliquin, Cosgrove, Pavel T, etc...) Or just keep asking questions on forums that have access to top notch guys (plug for PM) who have already read every book there is and can simplify it down to a one or two word answer....like if you want to grow, then you squat-eat-sleep. See....easy reading!

Or do what most do, go the Barnes and Noble, get a coffee and read all their books for free for a couple hours, google at the women and use lame pick up lines in the travel book section....it's bound to turn out to be a good day somehow.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

CrossFit Journal
Performance Menu

Best $55/year you'll spend.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

So many good books around and so little money to spend...woe is me!

I echo Scott's recommendations, the back issues are well worth the 5 dollars.

Rip just came out with another book which I've heard good.

To add onto what Mike said, any book in which Alwyn Cosgrove is a co-author is worth the money. The Core Performance book by Mark Verstengen is a good read for all the dynamic warmup stuff, pre-hab, and recovery stuff.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Yuen Sohn

You can't go wrong with the writings of Dan John...

http://danjohn.org/book.html
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Neal Winkler

I think both of Rippetoe's books, "Starting Strength" and "Practical Periodization" are classics.

"Ultimate Back Health and Performance" by Stuart Mcgill is the best book on core training.

For nutrtion, SKIP "THE PALEO DIET"! Get "Protein Power Lifeplan" by Michael and Mary Eades.

The other nutrion book you must read is "The Great Cholesterol Con" second edition, by Anthony Colpo.

Know these 5 books like the back of your hand and you'll be smart cookie.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Steve Shafley

Wow. Neal and I agree SPOT ON.

Also:

When you order the Rippetoe books, see if you can get a deal on Bill Starr's "The Strongest Shall Survive" and "Defying Gravity"

"Defying Gravity" is probably the greatest book ever written about the psychology of lifting competition, and has some great advice on peaking.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Mike ODonnell

Another book that is crucial: You own training journal...so you have your workouts planned, nutrition mapped out and make progress.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
Yael Grauer

Robb's going to tell you to read Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival.

I really like Nourishing Traditions: The Book That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats, mostly because the recipes rock, but not all of them are Paleo.

Ross Enamait's books (Never Gymless, Infinite Intensity) have a ton of cool exercises to mix things up. Variety, baby.

And you should read Sandman #50.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
Billy_Brummel

Neal/Steve:

Why do you prefer Protein Power over Paleo?

Is it the saturated fat thing?

Everyone else:

Thak you for the great suggestions! Now to find the money for the books in my couch cushions!
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote