Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
Darryl Shaw

Default Eggs are good again.

Quote:
Limiting egg consumption has little effect on cholesterol levels, research has confirmed.

A University of Surrey team said their work suggested most people could eat as many eggs as they wanted without damaging their health.

The researchers, who analysed several studies of egg nutrition, said the idea that eating more than three eggs a week was bad for you was still widespread.

But they said that was a misconception based on out-of-date evidence.

Writing in the British Nutrition Foundation's Nutrition Bulletin, they said eating saturated fats was far more likely to cause health problems.

Researcher Professor Bruce Griffin said eggs were actually a key part of a healthy diet, as they were particularly packed full of nutrients.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7882850.stm
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Good thing, eh? I was getting to think that my eating 3-6 eggs per day was bad for me.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Now let's clear bacon! So overweight and sick people can stop telling me I am killing myself eating bacon and eggs every morning.....
Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Charles Moreland

My mom likes to send me her "Health & Nutrition Letter" after she's done reading it. I still wonder why she continues to do this because it usually ends with me arguing the letter's reliability.

This last issue they published an article: "High Egg Consumption Associated with Diabetes Risk."

They cited two studies (Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard) finding that more than one egg a day was associated with and increase in some people's risk for diabetes of up to 77%.

They then went on to propose that it was because people were replacing their whole wheat cereals with eggs. Soon after, they started bashing the sat fat content and cholesterol values.

I'm perfectly happy eating my 4-6 eggs per day. Happier still that I haven't bought a cereal box (minus steel cut oats) in over two years. I'll take my chances...
Charles Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Patrick Yeung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Moreland View Post
My mom likes to send me her "Health & Nutrition Letter" after she's done reading it. I still wonder why she continues to do this because it usually ends with me arguing the letter's reliability.

This last issue they published an article: "High Egg Consumption Associated with Diabetes Risk."

They cited two studies (Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard) finding that more than one egg a day was associated with and increase in some people's risk for diabetes of up to 77%.

They then went on to propose that it was because people were replacing their whole wheat cereals with eggs. Soon after, they started bashing the sat fat content and cholesterol values.

I'm perfectly happy eating my 4-6 eggs per day. Happier still that I haven't bought a cereal box (minus steel cut oats) in over two years. I'll take my chances...

WOW, your delima sounds just like mine. My mom is familar with the traditional way of thinking and is pretty sure about it all. Everytime she sees me eat or hears that I am fasting in the afternoon, she goes all crazy and tries to send me all these articles from random places. I can send her all the clinical trials and studies that Id like, but she dosent care, it 'dosent make sense' she says.

But im with Steven, I love my eggs too much.
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Yeung View Post
WOW, your delima sounds just like mine. My mom is familar with the traditional way of thinking and is pretty sure about it all. Everytime she sees me eat or hears that I am fasting in the afternoon, she goes all crazy and tries to send me all these articles from random places. I can send her all the clinical trials and studies that Id like, but she dosent care, it 'dosent make sense' she says.

But im with Steven, I love my eggs too much.
Strangers will always listen more than family....I have learned that as well.....until something mainstream comes around where they say "Hey....haven't you been saying this for years?"
Old 02-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Matthew Bacorn

It's just too bad they cop out at the end with the usual disclaimer of avoiding saturated fat though.
Matthew Bacorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Blair Lowe

3 eggs...really small bowl of scrambled eggs or omelet. 6 eggs, 1 big bowl of scrambled eggs or big omelet. Start eating hard boiled for snack or lunch and it's too easy to do 6 per day. Harder to keep eggs in the fridge.

thanks for the url so I can tell my family to STFU.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #9
George Mounce

My mother (a type I diabetic) finds it funny that someone would think eggs increases diabetes risk.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Patrick Yeung

People at work thought I was crazy when I was passing up all this free catered food from drug reps at work. When I told them I was fasting and was not eating throughout the day, they thought I was even crazier. After trying to explain this to all the medical experts, they still were not sure.

Then, they put out an article by our hospital, as well as a few other stories in the LAT and NYT (which were out maybe.... 2 weeks ago?) on IFing, and the benefits. They still havent changed their minds though...

Why are people so scared of change?
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote