Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Sarah Markle

Question Low Platelet Count

Just got bloodwork back, this one being a 6-mo. follow up. Both show my platelet counts being low, 125, 126 respectively (range 150-350). I am paleo/zone, daily WODs, only supplement is Barlean's Fish Oil, and I take about 6g/day- per Robb Wolf's 2-10g suggestion, as well as Paleo/Skin Care book's recommendation. My doc has referred me to a hematologist. WBC counts are within range each time, no 'symptoms' of anything. (that I know of, at least) I don't consider myself to bruise easily. I'm just putting this out there before going to hematologist. Any thoughts?
Sarah Markle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Do you have trouble clotting? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sounds like a case of possibly "treating the numbers" rather than seeing if the person is in overall good health with one or two questionable numbers here and there that may be due to just random chance or odd genetics or something.

But I may be wrong.. shrug.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

If you were my patient, I'd start exploring into solvent toxicity, both through history and testing.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Sarah,

I had some blood test a while back that produced some odd results too (Link) and despite me being ridiculously healthy my doctor insists on repeating the test every couple of months to see what's "wrong" with me. Here's my latest set of test results from 2-19-09

Full Blood Count - FBC
Haemoglobin estimation 13.4 (normal range 13.0 - 18.0)
Total white cell count LOW 3.5 (4.0 - 11.0)
Platelet count 194 (150 - 450)
Red blood count LOW 4.18 (4.5 - 5.5)
Haematocrit 0.406 (0.40 - 0.50)
Mean corpuscular volume (MCV) 97 (80 - 100)
Mean corpuscular haemoglobin (MCH) 32.0 (27.0 - 32.0)
Mean corpusc. Hb. conc. 32.9 (31.5 - 35.0)
Red blood cell distribution width 12.4 (11.5 - 14.5)
Neutrophil count LOW 1.5 (2.0 - 7.5)
Percentage neutrophils 43 (40 - 75)
Lymphocyte count 1.6 (1.0 - 4.0)
Percentage lymphocytes 45 (15 - 45)
Monocyte count 0.3 (0.2 - 0.8)
Percentage monocytes 7 (2 - 10
Eosinophil count 0.2 (0.0 - 0.4)
Percentage eosinophils 4 (0.0 - 7.0)
Basophil count 0.0 (0.0 - 0.1)
Percentage basophils 1 (0.0 - 2.0)

Serum vitamin B12 283 (170 - 900)
Serum folate 5.9 (2.5 - 20.00)
Serum ferritin 92 (20 - 300)

My renal profile and liver function test were both normal and the only other thing that was a little off was my serum sodium at 134mmol/L (136 - 145) but my sodium levels are always lower than normal.

I know a couple of other people on this board have had similar issues with slightly odd blood test results. My best guess is that the combination of a paleo diet and plenty of exercise means you experience less inflamation than the general population so your immune system doesn't have to work quite as hard to keep you healthy. Basically as long as you're feeling okay I wouldn't worry about it.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Ever do much painting? Or any other activity that exposed you to much solvents? Try entering your ZIP code at www.scorecard.org and see what comes up when you look around.

From http://www.nontoxicprint.com/thetoxicityofsolvents.htm :
Quote:
The World Health Organisation (WHO)

See the following:
1. IPCS INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME ON CHEMICAL SAFETY Health and Safety Guide No. 103
2. WHITE SPIRIT (STODDARD SOLVENT) HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDE
3. UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME
4. INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANISATION

Effects on humans
The odour threshold of white spirit is quite low, and vapours can be detected at levels of 0.5-5 mg/m3. Tolerance of the odour may be developed.

Eye irritation has been reported in connection with acute exposure down to a level of 600 mg/m3 (100 ppm). At higher levels respiratory irritation and more pronounced eye irritation occur. Acute CNS symptoms such as headache, drunkenness, dizziness and fatigue have been reported in several cases of occupational exposure.

Controlled 7-h exposure to levels of 600 mg/m3 or more resulted in impaired balance during walking and to an increased reaction time. Exposure to 4000 mg/m3 for 50 min resulted in impaired performance in tests for perceptual speed and short-term memory.

One case of cyanosis, apnoea (asphyxiation) and cardiac arrest after excessive inhalation exposure during painting has been reported.

Ingestion of white spirit has been reported to produce gastrointestinal irritation with pain, vomiting and diarrhoea. Lesions of the mucous membranes in the oesophagus and the gastrointestinal tract followed the oral exposure.

Due to its low viscosity and low surface tension, white spirit poses a risk of aspiration into the lungs following oral exposure. A few ml of solvent aspirated into the lungs is able to produce serious bronchopneumonia and 10-30 ml may be fatal.

Prolonged dermal exposure to white spirit, e.g., resulting from wearing clothes that have been soaked or moistened by white spirit for hours, may produce irritation and dermatitis...Single cases of acute toxicity to the kidney, liver and bone marrow have been reported following exposure to white spirit at high levels.

However, clinical studies reveal decreased erythrocyte, leucocyte and platelet counts, and increased mean corpuscular volume in exposed workers. Similar haematological changes have been observed in animal studies.

Numerous epidemiological studies have been performed involving painters with long-term exposure to white spirit. Increased incidence of complaints of memory impairment, fatigue, impaired concentration, irritability, dizziness, headache, anxiety and apathy have been demonstrated in several cross-sectional studies. Studies including neuropsychological tests have shown impaired ability in performing some of the tests. In some studies an overall reduction in cognitive functioning was noted to a degree that corresponded to a diagnosis of chronic toxic encephalopathy. In a few studies a dose-response relationship was established. This was the case in a comprehensive study in which painters predominantly exposed to white spirit were compared with non-exposed bricklayers. Painters with low solvent exposure were comparable to non-exposed bricklayers with regard to neuropsychological test results. However, the prevalence of impaired functioning increased with increasing exposure in the groups of painters with medium and high exposure.
For those of you who may think this is crying wolf, that is not my intention. It is catching tendencies/patterns of potential concern early (before disease has really settled it) that is true preventative medicine.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
Sarah Markle

Thank you Dr. G, Steven, and Darryl....all info is dully noted. Now, I almost wish my wbc was lower and not 'normal' since maybe that means I'm not as physically fit as I should be! (and I think I'm pretty damn fit!) I did find a company here that apparently releases formaldahyde....yikes. Also: I totally get the theory of treating numbers, not the patient, as the nurse gave me these results/referral over the phone.

One more: my absolute neutrophils have taken a huge jump, from 2960 to 8119, while absolute eosinophils dropped from 34 to 10...both of these going from being in range to high, and low, respectively. I don't mean to take advantage of great, free advice, but your thoughts?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

I would definitely look into toxicity with those other numbers having shifted like that.

This is the panel I use for solvents:
http://www.usbiotek.com/Services-Env...Pollutants.htm

Benzene apparently decreases platelets, here's an article regarding tap/bottled water and what the various compounds can do:
http://www.ewg.org/node/27368
Old 02-28-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
Sarah Markle

Thank you Dr. G.