Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Ronnie Ashlock

Default 70 Kg Snatch

I know, I know. Not an impressive weight at all, but a big stepping stone for me as I finally landed this one tonight. I got a really ugly 70 Kg power snatch a few weeks ago, but bombed the same weight at the Chris Dariotis Classic January 7th. So last week, I dropped the weight considerably and focused on technique and improving my form. Tonight I finally worked up to it and got it in the deep squat position, no less. This one felt good.

It comes on the eve, more or less, of the first-year anniversary of getting bonafide coaching from someone who really knows the sport. I can't say enough good things about John Thrush and the folks at Calpians Weightlifting Club. If you have access to a good coach, it is like having a gold mine. I'm one of the older lifters there (got started at age 35), and the progress curve has been slower for me than some of the younger, more athletic students, but John and all the lifters there embraced me as a brother and have helped me immensly.

I have completely fallen in love with this sport and I feel very, very fortunate to be in an area where there is a solid and experienced Olympic Weightlifting community. Wish I had about 20 years I could knock off the clock and start all over, but you begin where you are and just grow where you're planted.

Sorry if this post rambles too much or if it's the wrong place to put it. I just felt good and had to tell someone who would "get it."
Ronnie Ashlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
JW Luckett

I get it and major congrats. That must be an awesome feeling. I started this sport at 44 (now 45) and am working on a 50kg squat snatch. Almost there.

Like you, I have totally fallen in love with this sport. This happened when I started following Coach Burgener's 12-wk program. What an education.

keep it going.

jw
JW Luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Ronnie Ashlock

Thanks, JW. Keep at it and you'll get that 50 no problem. I'm sure you're plenty strong for it, it'll just be question of getting all the technical stuff working for you. That's where having a coach pays off big time. There's so many little nuances to the lifts that aren't immediately apparent. Without someone looking over what you are doing wrong, and offering feedback on how to correct it, you can, like me, ingrain some bad form and not even know it.

I want to also thank Danny John, who's been a great digital coach. I turn to his "Get Up" newsletter and "From the Ground Up" DVD all the time for insights and new "aha" kind of things. He's also been kind enough to quickly respond to every email I've sent him. That means a lot, too.
Ronnie Ashlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Yuen Sohn

Ronnie,
Way to go! Great work.

It's a bit scary how similar your situation is to mine. Actually, I was even planning on posting a message when I reach 70 (I've been stuck at 67.5 for a while now btw, haha)

Like you, I've recently fallen in love with weightlifting and sometimes wish I had started about 15 years sooner.

You just can't beat the value of good coaching and the camaraderie among your fellow lifters.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Robb Wolf

good stuff guys! I just found a brazilian Jiu jitsu coach so i am shifting gears from the Olifts to more rolling...I'll be living vicariously through you guys for a while!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
Steve Shafley

I read that as:

Quote:
Coach Burgener's 12-step program
Heh.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

I'm switching gears too....No wait...Guiness, wings, hockey and bad pickup lines...Nope still the same...
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #8
Cassidy Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
good stuff guys! I just found a brazilian Jiu jitsu coach so i am shifting gears from the Olifts to more rolling...I'll be living vicariously through you guys for a while!
Much along the lines of my training I see.
Cassidy Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #9
Allison Barns

Hmmmm....Ronnie, I was there at the meet and I would not call your attempt at 70 kg a "bomb" at all!! I thought it was a rather nice attempt.

I'm so glad to hear that you did get it!! I'll look forward to seeing you replicate it (or more?) at the next meet.

Allison
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Elliot Royce

My coach who is 50 years old just got 111kg snatch/155kg in the New England masters. He's got his eye on the world record. Something to aspire to....
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote