Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Chris H Laing

Default weight training + grip training

So I've recently become interested in grip training, specifically in the strength to close grippers.

My hand strength is very low at the moment, and as such I have bought the two lowest level CoC grippers. They're getting here on the 9th.

Anyway, my question is how do people combine grip training with regular training without them interfering with eachother.

My schedule is going to look like this...
Mon - weighted dips, front lever holds or pullups, powercleans
Tues - l-sit holds or walks or spins, 10-15 min conditiong w/ KBs and jumprope along with bw type stuff, and then tumbling at night
Wed - planche holds or pushups, weighted pullups, squats
Thurs - same as tuesday
Fri - weighted dips, front lever holds or pullups, deadlifts
Sat, Sun - rest

Then the next week the upper body work on mon,wed,fri would switch so it would be two days of planche, weighted chins and only one day of dips, front lever.

I'm basically just looking for some advice on how to include gripper training into my workouts. Would it be better to do it on mon, wed, fri immediately after my workout, or a few hours after, or on maybe tues, thurs, sat? I'm just completely lost when it comes to programming grip training with other training and could really use some help.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Dave Van Skike

check out power and bulk's section on this grip training.

if you think the crossfit board's zone discusssions get ugly check out the grip board...those guys are deep politik.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Derek Simonds

Gripboard is not for the faint of heart. Some incredible information on grip training there though. They have an incredible FAQ and start here guide which is definitely worth the read.

Be really careful with your grippers not to overwork yourself. It is easy to end up with some very nasty finger and thumb pain. You have to work your extensors as well as your flexors and this is usually done with a thick rubber band around your fingers. I would do something like this and I am no grip expert.

Mon Grippers sets of up to 20 reps
Wed BB Crush, BB Extension and BB Flexion once again sets of up to 20 X 3
Fri Grippers sets of up to 20 reps

This is a real basic template and you could change up Friday and add in some pinch grip training, sledge levering, fat bar or KB work.

I recommend reading anything you can find by Jedd Johnson of the Diesel Crew. He is the man when it comes to hand strength. He did a compilation post somewhere that I can't find right now on how to set a gripper. That is a must watch. Here are a couple of links

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2009...to_the_wr.html

and basically anything in this part of the Diesel Crew forum will get you excited for grip training.

http://www.dieselcrew.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Chris H Laing

Thanks for both of the replies.

Derek, in reponse to your suggested routine, I've been reading up on grip training on the gripboard, and it seems to me like most of the stronger guys dont go for high reps when trying to get to higher grippers.

I did some reading on the KTA program (supposedly the best way to move up a gripper number) and from what I gather its mostly singles. I imagine that training grip is like training anything else, and that reps 5 and below are best for strength, while high is more towards hypertrophy and endurance.

This is pretty much a long winded way of asking why you chose up to 20 reps for these exercises.

Also, I'm on the lookout for a sledge hammer, because I think my lack of wrist strength is the only thing keeping me from a one arm elbow lever.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
Derek Simonds

What I was trying to say is if you only have 2 grippers to chose from and they are the CoC starter and the trainer you will quickly progress past singles. You can work up to sets of 20 with easier grippers to build some size in your palm which you really need to set and close the stronger grippers. Check out this dudes hands. That is Harlan Jacobs and the gripper is a CoC #3

http://www.dieselcrew.com/forums/sho...=3852#post3852

If you keep buying stronger grippers the same rules apply as strength training. Probably even more so. Negatives and partials are the standard when you get to the harder grippers.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Chris H Laing

Thanks Derek. I might do some 20 rep sets when I get stronger on the grippers after all. Maybe like one day a week of high reps, one day of low rep, and one day of sledgehammering.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Sam Cannons

I have worked up to doubles and an occasional triple on the #2 COC, i follow a simple program, I do a basic texas method tues/thurs/sat with snatch on mon/fri. On Saturdays i do a 5rm deadlift followed by 3x3 fat bar deads using a towel, then later that day i work 3-5 sets on the 1 and 1.5 keeping reps to 5-8 and then about another 5-10 singles in the number 2. Hands are pretty tired on sunday but its a rest day or light cardio so no dramas.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
George Mounce

Here is an awesome set I've been doing as warm-up.

http://www.straighttothebar.com/2009...to_the_wr.html

Here is a lot too: http://www.straighttothebar.com/grip/front.html

The ultimate list of badass grip stuff? Here: http://www.straighttothebar.com/grip...ise_index.html
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote