Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Emily Mattes

Default Are higher box jumps less effective for power development?

I heard from a trainer on another forum that the ideal box jump height is 12''-18''. At higher than that, you're simply training yourself to pull your knees to your chest quicker and start losing full jump extension, thus training yourself to jump incorrectly.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? Should I aim for lower box jumps during training and metcons?
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
glennpendlay

Emily,

I totally disagree with that.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Robert Callahan

Too me that same logic could be used to say:

You should never lift really heavy in Olympic lifts because when it gets heavy you have to pull yourself under the bar much more which means you are getting used to "cheating" and not getting the bar up as high as you could.

This of course is silly, just like that trainers ideas on how box jumps should be programed.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
Patrick Yeung

So having a higher box jump would be less than ideal?

Besides, isnt that why people train their vertical jump as well?
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I heard from a trainer on another forum that the ideal box jump height is 12''-18''. At higher than that, you're simply training yourself to pull your knees to your chest quicker and start losing full jump extension, thus training yourself to jump incorrectly.

Can anyone else weigh in on this? Should I aim for lower box jumps during training and metcons?
Was he talking about doing box jumps in aerobic circuits or doing singles and doubles?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Well, if one's goal was to jump to clear something, then training a jump while tucking the knees would be the "correct" way to jump.

Also, I've never seen anyone who can do high box jumps that seemed to have problems with "regular" jumping (ie. I don't see them doing vertical jumps and still tucking their knees).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Alex Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Too me that same logic could be used to say:

You should never lift really heavy in Olympic lifts because when it gets heavy you have to pull yourself under the bar much more which means you are getting used to "cheating" and not getting the bar up as high as you could.

This of course is silly, just like that trainers ideas on how box jumps should be programed.
Well, some s&c coaches in sports programs just program the power lifts and never the full version and offer this reason.
Alex Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Daniel Olmstead

As long as your hips are coming to full extension at the top, I can't see how higher isn't better.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Greg Everett
Administrator

I think it's really the middle-height jumps that are suspect. To get onto a BAB (Big Ass Box), of course you have to tuck and lift your feet - but you also have to jump. No one jumps to stomach or chest height with a great tuck alone.

With shorter boxes, you can limit the tuck intentionally, but with those mid-range jumps (especially in a CF-type metCon when all people are thinking about is banging out reps), you can get lazy and just lift the feet up without much of a drive.

To make a blanket statement like that trainer (I think I know who we're talking about here, actually) is a pretty good indication that you've never actually had athletes do legitimately high box jumps - as in ones that threaten to kill them if they miss. I assure you there is a jump involved.

I actually had this conversation with one of our lifters the other day - by and large, S&C in the professional sports arena is babysitting and making sure no one gets hurt in the gym. Those athletes are so talented and physically dominant already, you can appear successful doing just about anything.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
To make a blanket statement like that trainer (I think I know who we're talking about here, actually) is a pretty good indication that you've never actually had athletes do legitimately high box jumps - as in ones that threaten to kill them if they miss.
No shit on this. Really high box jumps are f'n scary.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote