Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Weird Question

Everyone knows that squats and deadlifts are a couple of the best mass builders out there.

Now, if you were doing squats and deads as your lower body work, but your upper body work consisted of nothing more than pushups, pullups, pike presses, etc instead of benching, bent-over rows, or whatever. Would you still gain a lot of mass in your upper body, or at least enough to be properly porportioned? Or would you be very disporpotioned with massive legs and an average looking upper body?

I prefer bodyweight work, at least for the upper body, I love pushups, dips, pullups, etc over benching and bent-over rows. But they are hard for the lower body. I throw in sandbag work and sleds, but I just dont feel like Im growing strong from it. So I was thinking of throwing in front squats and deadlifts and/or power cleans. I just dont want to look oddly disporportioned or something...
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

You need to do progressions with decreased leverage bodyweight exercises.

For example, planche, front lever, back lever, etc. as well as other such movements on rings. It' definitely possible to build "decent" mass... just look at most gymnasts (or rather Coach Sommer's older gymnasts if you want a more realistic goal).

I pretty much do all bodyweight work with upper body and most of the people I know would like to have the upper body mass I have... although it's not a lot compared to if I was lifting weights and eating everything in sight.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I pretty much do all bodyweight work with upper body and most of the people I know would like to have the upper body mass I have... although it's not a lot compared to if I was lifting weights and eating everything in sight.
Bingo.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Chris H Laing

How bout lifting BODYWEIGHT and eating everything in sight?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yep... everything depends on your goals.

If you wanna be able to have cool party tricks and/or master your own body and/or have super good proprioceptive ability and/or do cool things that gymnasts do, etc.... bodyweight may be for you.

If you want tons of mass you might wanna lift more weights... and eat more.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
sollo rick

Default Steven is soo right here

I have to say it is not that easy to get big legs, unless you are taking magic supplements, especially if you run, Stairmaster, row, crossfit or kick. Occasionally you see this happen to women and it is body fat related could anybody find a picture of a man with legs to muscular? No Tom Platz please. Nothing beats out lifting meatheads in a globo gym either and then there is this for a goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sqb6...e=channel_page
sollo rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Brian DeGennaro

Sollo, are you saying that it's really hard to get very muscular legs unless you're juicing?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
sollo rick

Default not cut

There is a difference between big and muscular
The original comment was legs too big for the upper body
Unless one has some pretty spectacular genetics do you disagree
That it is hard to get really big legs? Especially if one does other things
Like running… cut legs are not that hard and that is not what was meant
It’s rick by the way my blood was flowing into my big legs when I filled out the name thing
Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #9
Brian DeGennaro

I don't have great genetics (parents were never athletes and do not have athletic builds) and I ran track, and I've been told on al occassions my legs are pretty big. Here's an ok quality photo from the 400m I ran about 10 months ago. At the time I was CF'ing as well.

http://wingedfootfotos.com/enlarge.p...als//400mDash/

There were other people I'd race against (or even throwers and jumpers) who had legs like mine as well.

I'll agree that if you're a BBer that doing your cardio will diminish some of your size gains in the legs. There are plenty of examples of that (Draper, Arnold, etc).
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
sollo rick

Default practice

This is good practice for when I run for president, lots of discussion on small things. I stand by my statement that it is not that easy to get big legs. Starting to do some squats is not going to make someone look out of proportion. Especially if you run, crossfit… I daresay this man has done plenty of squats and his legs do not look out of proportion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GaZX...e=channel_page My parents came from more simple times and managed to go their whole lives without doing a Squat, Bench Press or Deadlift. A genetic trait needs an environmental trigger to manifest, so I have unknown genetics, not bad genetics. As do you for your parent were not athletes.
Magazine racks are filled with articles on how to get big, globo gym trainers charge for helping people lose weight and get big. This market does not exist because getting big is easy. Here is a chance for you to make a lot of money if you have such knowledge. We can both agree you have big legs; my question is was it easy? Was it done quickly? 400’s are darn hard for me. I applaud your success and look foreword to reading about your training