Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
jerry.mobbs

Default Jerry Mobbs - Starting Strength Log

Here's my SS log.

One workout every 4 days, with aim being 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise.

Not sure how long I will be able to keep doing the 5*5 for deadlifts as they make me want to go and sleep for a week.

I have been skipping the squat, bench, clean work out as my chest is sore which makes bench painful.

Mr Rippetoe mentions not trying to make to big a jump. Well I ignored that advice and bumped up my press, and guess what, I get some more fails. I should have listened to good advice.

Will update it every month and all comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jerry
94kg, 40years old, Male
jerry.mobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Jerry...fancy stuff...nice.

So you are working out every 4 days? Isn't the SS program a M-W-F progression or are we talking about something else?
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
jerry.mobbs

Mike

I try to stick to the 3 on, 1 off CF cycle.

I do one SS workout in each cycle.

I try to replace the CF workout thats more strength based.

So todays WOD is the CF total. I'd try to do the SS work out instead. Then alternate each SS work out each cycle.

So, if i did Squat, Press, Dead in 1 CF 4 day cycle, I'd try to do Squat, Bench, Power Clean in the next. It has not worked out that way due to having sore/strained moobies, but that was the plan.

Although I noticed good strength gains from just following the WOD in the last 9 months, my strength increases seem to have tailed off a bit.

Hence I decided to go back to basics and try to build a good strength base using the SS 5*5 workout within my CF regimen.

I am also training alone, so I don't really want to do any max effort stuff without a lot more hands on coaching.

For the big exercises such as Squat, Dead and Cleans I stick to 3 mins for both work and rest and 2 mins for press and bench. That way the only variable is the weight used. Reps, sets, rest periods are all the same.

Jerry
Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Rene Renteria

Any updates? I'm trying to stick to my own "Starting Strength" program and am curious about your progress, especially in combining this with the WOD, which I'm not doing. My conditioning is going bad fast, but I find if I add a set of Tabatas at the end (I've been adding Tabata Sprawls occasionally or 8x70 yd. sprints) I feel wiped out for hours afterward. Maybe that's a good thing.

I've also started to hit a wall on power cleans, I think b/c my squats are starting to feel heavy for me. (I started pretty light and have been doing small increments; I could use the form practice and capacity work.) I'm not sure what to do about the cleans except to back down to my last good weight, stay there for a while, and work on my form (which isn't so hot), instead of dong the backoff that Rippetoe talks about in Practical Programming.

Also, I was wondering why you're doing 5x5 instead of 3x5 as SS calls for? B/c you're doing ME Black Box instead of SS itself?

Good luck,
Rene'
Rene Renteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Rene:

There isn't a squat in a power clean. Do you mean hang clean? I'm no expert but to improve on your cleans you can disaggregate the issue and work on your limitation. If you clarify which version of the clean you're doing, I'll see if I can fish out some beginner tips for you since I've been getting them from my coach more or less continuously (so much to work on).

And Jerry, Rene is right. SS is a series of warmup sets followed by 3 across at the work set weight. Do you have the book? Well worth getting.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
jerry.mobbs

Rene

Heres an update

I went to a chiro on 6 Feb, and he did some small adjustments. He told me to take it easy as it would take time for my back to align in the new position.

Well, I ignored that advice and felt some lower back pain on the 9th Feb. I rested for a week and then came back on 16 Feb with reduced weights.

Working my way back up in 10kg jumps and its going okay so far. I have done these lighter workouts after the end of a metcon wod as I reckon I am nice and warmed up by then!

The good news is that I feel that the lighter weights allow me to focus on form and this will pay off in the long run.

5*5 or 3*3?

Mr Rippetoe talks about 5 being a good number to maintain good form. It also means I am starting the program with less weight than if I'd gone for 5*3 reps. This is probably better from a learing form point of view. I can also drop from 5 reps to 3 and still make progress with the program.

I started doing this with the deadlifts, and went from 5 reps down to 3 reps as 5 reps was to exhausting.

I like the results so far and am looking fwd to getting back into it in a week or so when I get back to my heaviest weights. I really like this program as its gives constant feedback.

The strength parts of the cf wod were too spread out to easily see progress, where as doing sets across give you feedback that day and can be compared to 3/4 days ago.

The good news is that I am getting stronger.

Jerry
Old 02-22-2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Elliot Royce

actually it's 3 work sets of 5 reps, except for deadlifts, as I recall. You start with squats and do 3-5 warmup sets with progressive weights with no rests (except to change the weights), then you move into your 3 work sets. But whatever gets the results....
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Rene Renteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Royce View Post
Rene:

There isn't a squat in a power clean. Do you mean hang clean? I'm no expert but to improve on your cleans you can disaggregate the issue and work on your limitation. If you clarify which version of the clean you're doing, I'll see if I can fish out some beginner tips for you since I've been getting them from my coach more or less continuously (so much to work on).

And Jerry, Rene is right. SS is a series of warmup sets followed by 3 across at the work set weight. Do you have the book? Well worth getting.
Thanks, Elliot; I'd appreciate the tips for both squat and power cleans. I was talking about power cleans. I know there is no squat; what I mean is that I was still feeling depleted from the back squats and thought maybe that impacted the cleans and led to a lack of pop.

Here's a video of some power cleans I did at 55kg, which is sort of my limit right now (5' 9.75"--oh, for that quarter inch!--about 158 lbs these days, 39 yrs old).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BMgvdRmqhA

I have poor flexibility and really feel deep in my back squats (stretched tight, butt tucking under) even though video shows I'm barely breaking parallel. Anyway, squat cleans for me need a LOT of work, so I'm sticking with power right now during this Starting Strength phase. A couple of years of on/off CrossFitting didn't do a whole lot for my flexibility (but did great things for most everything else; I think it's a great program), so I've started to do some dynamic mobility work before each workout ("Magnificent Mobility").

Anyway, sorry about the thread hijack, Jerry (and thanks for the update). I'd really appreciate any advice. I should post this to digital coaching over at XF but haven't yet.

I'll probably go up from 55kg in small steps (using 1-1/4 lb plates) and see if just getting more reps in and trying to drive from the heels more helps me past my sticking points here.

And BTW, I also highly recommend the book, although it sounds like you already have it, Jerry. Practical Programming is also good, and I'm going to try to stick with Rip's programming before going back to CF+ME BB when I've gotten stronger.

Thanks,
Rene'
Old 02-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
Rene Renteria

So as not to hijack, I'll post this again in another thread. (Good idea, Elliot.)

Good luck coming back from your injury. Although the metcon will warm you up, don't forget that it won't warmup the movement pattern necessarily, so a lighter weight warmup set before the heavy 5x5 might be appropriate, just to make sure you're feeling in the groove with the movement.

I've been warming up my deadlift by doing snatch-grip deadlifts and find that even with that my one "heavy" DL set feels better if my last warmup set is conventional DL and not SGDL.

Best,
Rene'