Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Matthieu Hertilus

Default Warm-Up Sets

Hey everyone, just wanted to get some opinions on what's a good range of warm-up sets/ reps to use for o'lifts. Here is an example of how I cycled up to 100% of my clean and jerk.

135lbs (2x2)
155lbs (2x2)
175lbs (1x2)
195lbs (1x1)
215lbs (1x1)
225lbs (1x1)

I still feel pretty good by the time I get to 225, but I was hoping you all could chime in on some questions I had whether based on experience or research 1.) Does the high number of earlier warm-up sets hinder my potentially being able to do more than 225?
2.) Should I do larger increases in weight in the beginning?
3.) Is there a benefit to cycling down after reaching a certain percentage for the day?

Thanks in advance for the advice and comments.
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

I like jumps of 10kg, your build-up looks fine to me. That being said, I do a relatively long set of OL drills with an empty bar before I get into actual loading, so I only do one set with each loaded weight (I don't do 2 sets of any particular weight).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I like jumps of 10kg, your build-up looks fine to me. That being said, I do a relatively long set of OL drills with an empty bar before I get into actual loading, so I only do one set with each loaded weight (I don't do 2 sets of any particular weight).
What he said.

Also, various programs have you do 5 reps with a light work weight before increasing. I am not talking one straight set of five but like 5 reps on the minute for 5 minutes with a weight of about 65-70% of your one rep max. This should be a weight you never miss on snatch for example and is your opportunity to really drill in your technique because it offers enough resistance.

So like for me I have a snatch PR of about 231lbs. My warmups would be

Barbell warmups
1 x 95lbs Muscle snatch
1 x 115lbs Power snatch into an overhead squat
1 x 135lbs
1 x 145lbs
5 x 165lbs on the minute
Then proceed to do 10lbs increments up to my max4day, usually around 90-95% or 205 - 220.

Actually, pretty much all those warmup sets up to 165lbs would be "on the minute" I don't take a lot of rest time between warmup sets. From 165lbs and up I would rest 2-3 minutes depending on my workout plan.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Matthieu Hertilus

Nice insight guys, any thoughts on cycling down? I only ask because I saw a video on this site of someone doing power snatches and after he'd reach a certain weight, he would pyramid down with lighter weights.
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Brian Lawyer

never heard of doing pyramids. I know it is common practice if you work up to a point and start missing then cut weight back and work your way back up again. For example, say you get a little shaky around 90% and up. Cut back to 70% and work your singles back up again to see if you can breakthrough that mental wall. It's not good to keep missing, mentally that is.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

In my first workout of the two-week meet prep that Coach Burgener just sent me, I worked up to a 90% single, then backed off to 85% for 2 more singles, did that for both comp. lifts. Not a normal thing for me to do though.

I should probably do more of a cool-down than I do now (which is none currently). Maybe as it becomes more necessary with age...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
Brian DeGennaro

I normally beging with ~60-65% of my maxes in the warmups for the classic lifts. Typical workout that goes up to 90% looks like:

MS + 2 SnBal 2 sets @ 50kg
MS+Snatch x3 50
Snatch x2 60
Snatch x1 65
Snatch x1 70
Snatch x1 75
Snatch x1x3 77.5

C&J
Power clean+2 jerks 70x1x2
PC+2 jerks 80x1
CJ x1 85
CJ x1 90
CJ x1 95
CJ x1x3 100

Front Squats
100x2
120x2
130x1
135x2x2
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Chris H Laing

I only do the power versions of the lifts, because I have no desire to compete in oly lifting as I have other goals, and I do use back off sets whenever I got for heavy singles.

Its be like work up to max for the day, then 1-2 singles at 90% of that max, then 2-3 singles at 80-85% of that max.

This rep scheme came from the article on oly lifting crossfitters by Greg Everett, and it works well for me. I like working up to the heavy weight, but usually the form is a little shaky, so the back off sets provide a way to work on form with heavier weights while you're tired.

On the other hand if I ever go for 5x3 or anything i dont do back off sets...