Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
kevin mckay

Default Hacking the Human Life Span

From wired

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...l?tw=rss.index
kevin mckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

So some computer geek wants to put resveratrol in pill form and market it to the masses as the next best thing to improve health and reverse aging?

Well, people in our society sure do have a thing for popping pills. Magic pills are even better...

Myself? I'll just stick to my healthy paleo diet for now with a glass of red wine thrown in from time to time. I'm sure the lazy though will find this news exciting.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #3
Steve Shafley

Reservatol seems to be hard to absorb.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Robert Allison

While I tend to believe that some skepticism of supplementation is healthy, I think that resveratrol supplementation may prove to be of value, and will probably give it a try at some point.

While I certainly enjoy a glass of red wine as much as the next fellow, most of the studies showing significant benefits from resveratrol use much higher levels than can be achieved by drinking wine. Of course, this has to be considered in light of the "French Paradox," which is usually attributed to French wine consumption. I guess the question becomes: are there any benefits provided by resveratrol above and beyond what can be realized by drinking wine? At this time, the jury still seems to be out on that one.

Regarding absorption, I seem to recall reading somewhere that some researchers believe the issue is not difficulty of absorption, but rather that resveratrol is metabolized quite rapidly.

I thought it was interesting that they also mentioned CR in the article

Robert
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

I see a parallel from this to IF and Fish Oil.

People could say that us IFers are trying to double our lifespans.

Depending on what more tests say, I might add these to my already pill laden diet.

Reading a book and one passage talks about the parents of the author (paraphrasing)

'My dad passed away with a beer in his hand. Didn't spill a drop. I really think that is the way he would have wished to go. My mom died a year earlier asleep in his arms in their bed, she never woke up. I really think that is the way should would have wished to go.'

It's not how long you live, it is how you go out that counts.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Robb Wolf

Low glycolytic flux nutrition, some IF and Resveratrol might be pretty effective. Steve is right, absorption is tough. There are ways around that.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

I agree.. all the diet info on this website is the best shot.

However, manipulation of our genes, biochemistry, etc..... that's the way to go in the long run. I remember an informal round-table lecture, populated by geeks of all walks of life, and the gang came up with a dozen or so obstacles to slowing aging. I can't remember them (grasping here, could be way off)... something about errors in nucleotide replication, some cells only turning over x-number of times before they croak, fancy mitochondrial issues, neurons in the CNS, etc. etc. None of which are impossible to overcome, but it may take longer than our existance on this planet, given the chance of a world-wide demise nasty enough to knock science back to it's earlier years.

Immortality is in the hands of the scientists... if the f-ing politicians and churches would just leave us alone...

Brad
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Brad Hirakawa

... yes I'm bitter I won't be alive in the distant future... custom DNA, genes ordered to go with a tall cold beverage... then again, might be a planet with an crippled environment, anarchy, disease and particle physics experiments gone wrong.

So till then... performance menu, babes, naked babes, some red wine, a picture of Robb Wolf's sweet rump, and more babes.

Brad
Brad Hirakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
Robb Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hirakawa View Post
... yes I'm bitter I won't be alive in the distant future... custom DNA, genes ordered to go with a tall cold beverage... then again, might be a planet with an crippled environment, anarchy, disease and particle physics experiments gone wrong.

So till then... performance menu, babes, naked babes, some red wine, a picture of Robb Wolf's sweet rump, and more babes.

Brad
I find myself...oddly aroused...

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote