Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Default 5-3-1

I keep reading about this 5-3-1 stuff and my good friend Google doesn't want to explain it to me unless I give some dude $19.99.

Just out of curiosity could someone explain it to me and where it falls in the grand scheme of things? From what I gather it's a powerlifting type of program that uses some kind of wave approach to programming.

Is it a kind of intermediate program? How does it differ from other programs such as the Texas Method and what's all the fuss about?

Should I just give the dude 20 bucks and read the e-book even though I have no intention of following this program and just want to know what's going on?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

You did read this thread, correct?

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=4176

This was one of the first articles I read back in the day... helped explain a bunch of stuff:
http://web.archive.org/web/200712180...odization3.php

-------------------------------

Essentially though most of the intermediate programs are just inducing a bit of "wave" complexity into your training. As you know, novices can make linear progression by increasing the weight, but as soon as the numbers get too high this can't be done anymore.

The easiest way to increase the complexity of programming is varying the reps essentially breaking down days/weeks into sessions with (1) higher volume but less intensity vs. (2) lower volume with higher intensity on the lifts.

A program like 5/3/1 progressively increases the weight over 3 weeks building up to new RM each week. This can also be varying during a week as well, but I believe Dave said in the other thread that it's 1 week microcycles for each + back off week or something of that nature.

--------------------------------

What exactly are your lifts at right now? Height? Weight? What are you looking to get them up to?

Last edited by Steven Low : 05-09-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #3
Bill Ripley

That 'some dude' is a world class WSBB powerlifter. The book is well worth the $20, but if you no interest in following the program than why buy it?
Bill Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Nope. Heh. For some reason I didn't think to look into the GPP section for this kind of stuff. Explains it pretty well.

Quote:
This was one of the first articles I read back in the day... helped explain a bunch of stuff:
http://web.archive.org/web/200712180...odization3.php
Looks like a good read. Thanks.

Quote:
What exactly are your lifts at right now? Height? Weight? What are you looking to get them up to?
I'm 5'8" and 170-175lbs and actually pretty happy with my lifts and currently just trying to prevent them from dropping too much with as little effort as possible until I get through finals. Eventually I'd like to get my deadlift from 170kg (or possibly a little lower now) to 200kg, but I'll probably use the summer to focus on sprints and gymnastics (really want that freestanding handstand push-up and front lever). So really, I have no intention on using this 5-3-1 for a while. Just curious.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
sollo rick

Default best $20 you will ever spend

that "dude" really knows his stuff
and will get you far beyond a 200 kg deadlift
the $20 price is very fair
not everything should be free
sollo rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollo rick View Post
that "dude" really knows his stuff
and will get you far beyond a 200 kg deadlift
the $20 price is very fair
not everything should be free
I read the book today. Surprisingly quick (but good) read for being 97 pages. I like how customizable the program is. Could be fun to try out this fall if I don't end up going a more Oly oriented route.

Wendler's and Rippetoe's descriptions of the lifts differ a bit in some areas, though, but I guess Wendler's not really trying to teach people how to perform the lifts with his book...

P.S.
"Don't be Half Rep McGee."

P.P.S.
Also, while procrastinating I made an Excel calculator that calculates your weights for the next four four-week cycles for you since it'll be easier to come back to that way and not have to go through the book again this fall. It also let's you decide what you want to round to (5lbs, for example if your smallest plates are 2,5lbs or 2,5lbs if your smallest plates are 1,25 et cetera). It also has a small calculator based on the formula Wendel wrote about in his book about determining 1RM based on a multiple rep max.

Could some of you please take a quick look at it to see if I understood things right from his book? I basically used his percentages and added 5kg to the squat and dead training max and 2,5kg to the bench press and press training max for each cycle (10lbs and 5lbs respectively in the pound version).

(The fields in italics are fields you should edit - the calculator takes your true 1RM and determines your training max (90% of your 1RM) for you.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wendler's 5-3-1 Calculator - kg.zip (13.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Júlíus G. Magnússon

And the pound version.

P.S.
In case you're wondering (like a friend of mine), the actual cycles are on separate work sheets (click the things in the lower left corner).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wendler's 5-3-1 Calculator - lb.zip (14.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-26-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
Torsten Hauptmann

is there an other shop which sells the book? the problem is that i do not have a credit card (which is common in the country i live in) and therefore can not pay....

....sorry for double posting but i really want to get that book
Torsten Hauptmann is offline   Reply With Quote