Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Default Do or do not... there is no try.

We'll see how long I keep up with this log. For years I have been keeping track of my training in one of those cheap composition books. I still intend to track my training in my log book during my sessions. I thought an online log would be beneficial for my coach or others to look at my training program. We'll see how long I keep up with transfering my hardcopy log to this softcopy log.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
Brian Lawyer

Default Saturday 5/9/09

Competition in Van Alstyne

Weighed in at 91kg

Snatch:
95 miss

CJ
125 miss
Old 05-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Default 5/15/09

This is my first workout since my competition last weekend. I took 5 days off this week. Mainly due to very busy work schedule but also because I trained fairly hard for about 3 months prior to my competion.

Weighed 197.5

Snatches
2 x 165 (three attempts but I missed one)
165 x 3 x 4 sets

CJ
205 x 2 x 5 sets

3 rounds for time (I am trying to work in some more conditioning):
10 squat box jumps 20".
15 abmat situps
These are not olympic style squats. These are more of a plyometric style squat. I point toes forward, feet about shoulder width, interlock hands behind head. squat to parallel or just above, keeping chest up I explode through heels and try to elevate my fully extended body above the 20" box before landing on top of box.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Brian Lawyer

Default Sunday 5/17/09

Started with high hopes of making a 275lb (125kg) clean and jerk PR but didn't quite make it. I am starting to realize it doesn't work real well when I put pressure on myself. I just need to lift and see what happens. This workout surprised me because I can't remember the last time I skipped snatches and just did CJ's. Yet the results below are the same as my CJ workouts when I do 20-30 minut of snatch work first.

CJ Singles - approx 2 minute rest between each once I got up to about 195lbs.

145 Missed. It's really wierd but on Snatches and CJ's I always miss some really light one. I think I pull so hard I go backwards on my heels.
245 missed jerk
255 missed jerk
255 missed jerk
255 missed jerk
265 missed clean
225 tried to end on a good note

3 rounds for time:
10 burpees
10 kipping pullups
6:20
Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Brian,
I hope your log works out for you.

Is there a reason you like taking the 10# jumps between warm-up sets? I personally, both for training time and fatigue purposes, take 10kg jumps between sets. My coach likes for me to take no more rest than 2min. between all of my sets (to prep for following myself at a meet).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Is there a reason you like taking the 10# jumps between warm-up sets?
No reason except that I didn't do any snatches in an effort to just focus on cj's so I had plenty of time. I was really just working technique up to ~185lbs Somewhere between 185-205 I crossed the line from warmup to work sets. Otherwise I never do so many warmups.

My warmup card for my meet looked like this:

Snatch:
50kg
70 - I took a couple extra at 70kg to get dialed in.
95 opener

CJ
115 opener
Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Brian,
I hope your log works out for you.
BTW, thanks for being my first subscriber doctor G. My next workout will be Tuesday or Wednesday. I think I am going to repeat the same workout as I did last friday except do sets across at 175 for triples on sn and 225 for doubles on CJ.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
Chris H Laing

Welcome to the logs Brian. I think you'll find it easier than keeping a book because you can use the search function to find what your looking for, instead of going back and reading through countless pages.

Also, I noticed you like doing sets across of 2s and 3s for the full oly lifts. I think you're the only person I've noticed that really does that. Do you find there's an advantage to working with sets across in the full lifts?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Also, I noticed you like doing sets across of 2s and 3s for the full oly lifts. I think you're the only person I've noticed that really does that. Do you find there's an advantage to working with sets across in the full lifts?
Chris,
That's a good question. The advantage is lots of repitition at a good working weight. I probably should not have used the term "sets across". That tends to imply I am going for linear progression like on a Starting Strength model where I am trying to increase my 5 rep squats by 5-10lbs per week. That's not at all what I am going for on these sets of doubles and triples. I am really trying to drill consistency with the lifts.

The only reason I noted above I was going to try the same workout this week with heavier weights is because I think I can start working with a little heavier weight. I have been using 155-165 for my snatch working weight for a while now and 195-205 for CJ's.

Also, last week was the first time I did that workout in about two months. This week I want to repeat it just to see if I can do with heavier weights. Generally, I work with single reps quite a bit.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Default Wednesday 5/20/09 workout

I repeated the workout from last week working Triples on Snatch and Doubles on CJ. Although this workout had it's up and down moments I think these are good working weights for me on this workout. I may come back to this workout again next week using these same weights and see if I can complete with less misses. I didn't give myself enough rest time between the first couple sets of snatches which I think messed me up. I find when I am fatigued I pull more fluidly off the ground to overhead on the snatch but I half as it at the top because I am tired and just drop the weight back in front of me. Here's the workout:

Snatch
3 x 175
2min rest
2 of 4 x 175
2 min rest
2 of 4 x 175
4 min rest
3 x 175 - I managed to pull my act back together from this point forward and knock off 4 good sets in a row with no misses.
3 min rest
3 x 175
3 min rest
3 x 175
3 min rest
3 x 175
5-6min rest

CJ
1 of 2 x 225
2 x 225
2 x 225
1 of 2 x 225