Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default I made some clubbells

there are some pictures

They are about 2 feet long. I tried to put a shoe, some bananas, and my hand in there for some perspective. They are hollow right now. they weigh in at 11 pounds right now. i can easily fill them with sand to get pretty heavy, and then lead to get really heavy.

one's made from a 1.5" by 12" nipple, a 2" by 6" nipple, a 2" to 1.5" reducer, two 2" closed nipples, two 2" couplings, a 2" cap, and a 1.5" cap. the 1.5" handle is pretty wide and really works your grip when you start swinging these. it cost me about $50 to make it. i could have made it cheaper, but i was able to make it reasonable top heavy by making it this way without making it too long that it would hit the ground. plus, i can unscrew them and make one big club.

i straight up sat on the floor in home depot and put this together there. i took the pieces out of the packages too. once i had my model, i just grabbed the same pieces for the second club and had them double it at the register.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Grissim Connery

$50 per club that is
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Make sure to cover those exposed threads, especially the ones on the close end of the handles.

Are you going to put anything grippy on the handles?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Grissim Connery

do i need to cover the threads so that my hands don't catch on them or is there another reason?

i went and bought some grip tape today. i'm not sure if i like grip tape or not. i used to play a lot of lacrosse, and when i was young i loaded my stick up with grip tape. later i realized that i really didni't like any grip tape except for right at the butt of the stick, so i knew how close i was to the butt. i found that it was hard to maneuver the stick and slide it around as much as i needed with all the grip tape. i'll see how i like it on the clubs though. i'm not gonna be cradling and twirling these guys around as much as a lax stick.... or am i?
Old 05-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Exposed threads are sharp, not hand-friendly. You might or might not need the grip stuff since you have the pipe butt end on there.

When I do CBs, I'm swinging them all around, so threads under the palm would gash me up really quick.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote