Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 01-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Billy_Brummel

Default Ever experienced this?

So when I eat really carb-heavy meals, my sinus passages close up (not completely) and my throat gets that tight-pre-sore-throat kind of feeling. For instance I just ate lunch that consisted of water, pre-meal bread with oil and vinegar, a burger with onion and lettuce and fries, and now I'm practically breathing out of my mouth because my nose feels all closed up. Does anyone else ever experience this kind of a reaction to carbs and/or any other food items?
Wanna take a guess?
My best guess is that I'm highly carb intolerant.
I'm thinking about seeing a local Naturopath about it. Good idea or bad?
Billy_Brummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Bobby Spencer

Sounds like an allergic reaction. While some if not all of the carbs could have caused that to happen. My allergies have been acting up lately mainly because of the dust where I work (a middle school) and because of the erratic weather (70 degrees one day and snowing two days later). So whatever you ate could have triggered your reaction or just made it worse. An allergist or, least, someone more knowledgeable on this board can tell you for sure.
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Steve Liberati

yep starchy carbs are bad for you. mmmmm...kay!
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Billy_Brummel

Hmmmm...it hadn't really ocurred to me that the carbs could've exacerbated my existing allergies. Verrry interesting.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Jeremy Jones

I have similar nasal problems, I thought it was mostly related to dairy products. I haven't noticed it with carb heavy meals, but I'll take notice now.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Once you get rid of all the crap in your diet.....eat clean.....and ever try to go back to old habbits, it will never turn out to be pleasant. Excess carbs can increase inflammation (aka an allergic reaction)....of course we all know the simple answer.....drink more beer.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Steve Shafley

One thing and IF does is blunt immune response a bit.

While this can be bad in some cases, I note a lot less nasal congestion and overall joint achiness when on.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Billy_Brummel

Yeah, when I'm on a fast the nasal passages are clear as a bell.

Mike:
I thought the inflammation that came from carbs was more of a systemic, long term thing rather than localized and immediate (eg sinus). Am I assuming wrong here?
However, I agree wholeheartedly with your prescription.
"Beer: the cause of--and solution to all of life's problems."
Old 01-24-2007, 11:11 PM   #9
Allison Barns

I thought beer had tons of carbs! I could be wrong. Or does the alcohol 'mitigate' the carbs?

Billy, my guess would be gluten intolerant over carb intolerant. And it could well be that the gluten/carb exacerbated any existing allergies you may have. I've often heard the allergen load being likened to the straw that breaks the camel's back. The body seems fine until that one last insult and then the body reacts fully in the manner of it's choosing. In my personal experience, my gut will react within a few hours of eating gluten and my sinuses will react immediately to a day later.

Mike - you are making me seriously miss the good ole days when I could drink Guiness! Sigh!
Allison Barns is offline   Reply With Quote