Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Elliot Royce

Default Program - Help Please

I never did get my program from Mike Boyle. He was too busy. Since any specific program is going to be made up of building blocks, let me lay out the building blocks and get your reaction to whether I'm missing something.

My goals are to learn the O lifts (for fun and sports performance), be a faster and more agile skater with higher endurance, and add some muscle mass (for fun). Flexibility is always an issue.

Right now, my building blocks are:

Metabolic conditioning: hockey practice (1-2 hours per week), hockey game (1-2 hours per week), hockey reffing (2 hours per week), CF (1-2 metabolic WODs per week) - a hockey game and CF WOD would average HR of 140-160bpm, reffing is more like 120-130bpm, and hockey practice varies

O lifting: 4 hours per week: 2 on my own, 2 with a coach

Other: Starting strength type work to fill in the gaps above (e.g., deadlifts, bench) plus mobility

I've given up boxing cause I have too much to do.

Any comments are welcome but some questions:

- is this enough metabolic to get in great shape?
- is this enough hockey specific training or do I need to do slideboards, etc.?
- what else I am missing?

Thanks,

Elliot
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

When do you sleep???

Remember...quality of training is better than quantity....make sure your busy schedule is letting you rest and not taking away from your performance in any activity. Not only do your muscles need a rest....but your CNS does too.

As for metabolic conditioning...not sure what else you need to add as that is alot. Now at my old age....after a full speed 2hr game...my body is useless for the next day or so. Go balls out in practice in all drills...full speed....and you wont need any additional metabolic conditioning.

Practice all depends on what practice is....first after college I havent been to a practice in any men's league as we just show up, play and drink beer. Thats been my schedule for the last 14 years. All depends on what you need improvement for. If you need work on stickhandling...you need more stickhandling....if you need speed, you need practicing power strides and plyo type starts and stops....endurance should not be an issue on ice....as you get that with everything else....but the power, speed and quickness need to be practiced. A good practice should start with warmup....have plenty of stickhandling while skating drills, also focus on shooting and passsing....some plays such as breakouts and breakins for position work...and then a gasser at the end like suicides....so now you see why I dont miss practices!

If you notice how badly the Euro's are kicking ass in professional hockey and taking it over from the Americans...it's because they don't scrimage at a young age...they learn how to stick handle, stop and start, powerskate, pass, shoot...and master those skills....and then later in life....they take over the ice.

Slideboards are good to work on the explosive push laterally, best training for skating is of course......skating.

If the scoring doesn't work out...might want to take up boxing again as it might come in handy for hockey. As I like to say....if you are built for speed then work on shooting....if you are not, work on stickhandling and passing.

PS. practice stickhandling off the ice with a stick and a golf ball....it works pretty well.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
Rick Deckart
Banned

Elliot,

I don't want to be the bad guy, but didn't you mention that you have two hip joints replaced? If so, the average lifetime of a state of the art artificial hip joint is as far as I know rated around 8--12 years. You will probably have far better mobility right now compared before the replacement, but make no mistake artificial hip joints are far more prone to dislocations than the original, and that is something you should want to avoid at all cost! Falling on your side while playing hockey or a bodycheck might cause it in the worst case. That is one of the reasons contact sports are usually on the no-no list after such an intervention.

At the very least I would discuss your planned training schedule with your doctor. You are doing probably far too much, and may be much better served focusing on one priority. These hip replacements are not built for 'extreme sports', hard as it may sound, but for everyday life and even that they won't take forever.

Take care!

Regards,

Peter

P.S.: With respect to the Oly lifts, I would try to discuss with your doctor if the split styles (switching legs on a regular basis) are better suited for your needs and personally I would abstain from any limit lifts, hard as it may be, I simply don't think it is a good idea. There will always be one bad rep and one bad rep may be all that is needed to push you back to square one...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
Rick Deckart
Banned

BTW average lifetime of course implies that some replacements will be okay a much longer timespan, while others may fail within a short time. I don't want to sound to depressing but I know three people who had their hip joints replaced...
Rick Deckart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Mike:

Thanks. Our games are limited to 1 hour but you still get pretty winded. I haven't done it recently but when I wore a heart monitor, I burned 800 calories (and that was not adjusting for my weight, which probably meant it was more like 1000) and had HR coming off the ice of around 160-170bpm. I have backed off a bit -- I used to play 3-4 times per week -- but as Laura Stamm says, "practice doesn't make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect," i.e. you need to have enough energy to bend the knees and be focused. Still, you can never have too much endurance. Probably good to do spin bike intervals, no?

Peter:

I understand your concern which is valid for traditional hip replacements. It sounds like you have some knowledge there. Mine are hip resurfacings. Without going into incredible detail, this is a new technique which preserves the femur and uses a full size cap that goes over the end. The bone then grows into the back of the cap. On the pelvis side, you get the normal cup. 3 main benefits: 1) stress is transmitted in a nearly identical way to the femur as with a normal hip (the spike they put in with a THR transmits force in a completely unnatural way causing tremendous wear and tear for active people), 2) there are almost no dislocations with this device (given how tight I am and the device, my surgeon rates the risk of dislocation as close to zero, and 3) if the device does fail, then you can get a THR (and take it easy).

Many athletes are pursuing this new technique, including Floyd Landis who just got one. My surgeon, who has 800+ of these under his belt and 10 years experience of the results, has ok'ed me for all activities except marathon running (not my cup of tea anyway). He specifically authorized "full checking competitive hockey." I don't play full checking hockey and a beer league is not that competitive but of course there is some bumping and falling. I did play with some pros during a summer camp and got checked by one of them (big guy). I went flying through the air, landed on my hip and there was no problem.

But in any event, I went for this device because I can always go with a THR. You're right that if I want this to last for ever, I should probably back off to maximize the chances. But I figured if I got 2-5 years out of it, it would be well worth it and based on experience with others', it's possible that it will last a lifetime. At 44, I'm too young to take up golf.
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
Mike ODonnell

My advice for any practice....go full out...otherwise you will get used to skating half speed, sloppy stickhandling and half asses shots...and that's not what you want in the game. I found single speed mountain biking helps my legs power and endurance...cause it is single speed you get rest periods (downhill) and have to sprint uphills...track near my house is perfect for it. Sprints are good too. That and watch your performance vs recovery ratio...if you performance is not increasing or decreasing...increase recovery and you may be surprised.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote