Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Default Reintroducing Milk - about a 2yr layoff

So, I'm trying to gain weight, mostly using olive oil shots, but I'm getting damn sick of them lately. I'm considering giving GOMAD a shot, but I haven't had milk in nearly two years. I think it was around September 2007 when I cut out dairy since the casein in cottage cheese was giving me nasal congestion. Over the past few months, I've reintroduced ice cream on a regular basis and have had zero problems with that lately. Rarely, I'll have some cheese on a burger (or several slices on several burgers...). Once again, no problems with that.

Aside from that, I've been dairy-less for a long time. What should I expect if I try to bring whole milk back? Does anyone have any recommendations on how to ramp up to a gallon a day?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Shrug, just try it IMO.

I've recently started drinking milk again. If I do anymore than a pint right now I get some of the runs... so I'm sticking there and trying to build up a tolerance or so again.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Chris Forbis

I've found that milk or ice cream both make me a bit mucousy. Milk will also give me significant GI issues, whereas ice cream might give me some gas (a good 8-12 hours later) but nothing else. I'd love to track down raw milk and give it a go, but no luck so far.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Grissim Connery

i actually just brought whole milk back as well. honestly, just go for it and see what happens. if i get weird digestively, i push everything out with some dried fruit.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Just started drinking my first pint. The taste and smell immediately reminded me of rice Chex. A blast from the past. I'll wait to see what this does before I drink anymore.

Also, I've got to say (once again) that I love Costco. Whole milk was $2.50 per gallon and it has a sell-by date of June 22nd. At that price, it's exactly 1,000 calories per dollar, which surpasses even my expectations of cheat food. (For chocolate, ice cream, etc. I won't buy it unless I get at least 800 calories per dollar.)
Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Blair Lowe

Heh, at Savemart, 2 gallons is 4.39 for whole and cheaper for 1 or 2% or nonfat.

I think at the 7-11 I used to live nearby, it was 2 gallons for 5 bucks for a local dairy milk ( Crystal? ).
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Just started drinking my first pint. The taste and smell immediately reminded me of rice Chex. A blast from the past. I'll wait to see what this does before I drink anymore.

Also, I've got to say (once again) that I love Costco. Whole milk was $2.50 per gallon and it has a sell-by date of June 22nd. At that price, it's exactly 1,000 calories per dollar, which surpasses even my expectations of cheat food. (For chocolate, ice cream, etc. I won't buy it unless I get at least 800 calories per dollar.)
Interesting thought, I'd love to see the biggest bang of calories for the buck out there.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Ok, so I had three pints yesterday, and absolutely no negative side effects. I'm more than happy with that result, but I was expecting some sort of cataclysmic case of intestinal bloating or something.

Could it be that I just never really lost my ability to eat dairy? I very clearly remember having some serious allergies until I stopped eating cottage cheese, and I had similarly stuffy nasals on other days after dairy binges in the months that followed. So, maybe just the ice cream did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Interesting thought, I'd love to see the biggest bang of calories for the buck out there.
Probably one of the vats of soy or vegetable oil they have there.

Blair, what's a Savemart? I've never heard of them. I've been told that an average price in my area right now is around $3.90 per gallon, so Costco's price was amazingly fair.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Grissim Connery

i've had weird dairy issues in my life too. because i'm trying to up my calories more now, i'm trying to experiment with each invididual dairy product and see the results. whole milk seems to be ok for me as well as long as my fruit and veggie intake remains good. i know that some cheeses cause really bad effects in me. keep playing around.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #10
Adolfo Riveron

Just got some whole milk at kroger for 1.99 a gallon...Awesome!!
Adolfo Riveron is offline   Reply With Quote