Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Heavy Complexes, jiu jitsu, random stuff and fat loss

Okay, so as anyone who remembers me or anyone who bothers to look at my previous posts can see, I've been struggling with weight loss for the last year and a half or so. Well I'm finally close to where I want to be. Approximately 38 pounds away from my goal as of last Sunday. Using the tape measure method, I'm 22 percent body fat, my goal is to hit 10 or less. According to the tape measure method, I have 194 pounds of lean body mass, so even at 10 percent, so long as I dont lose muscle mass, I'm still going to be plenty big.

This was also my first week of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. So, besides losing body fat, I also want to condition myself. Until now, I've been doing sprints, riding my bike, and swimming along with weight lifting to lose weight (and diet of course). I have been thinking of switching my lifting to more of a complex or circuit training method and maybe cutting back a tad on other conditioning methods. My basic question is will three days of heavy and body weight complexes, maybe one day of sprints, one day of biking, and two hour long jiu jitsu practices a week be a good system? Will the heavy complexes be good for shredding fat and raising conditioning, without causing muscle loss (or make it minimal enough that I can easily gain it back once I get to ~10 percent body fat)? Or should I throw in a little heavy, non-complex style training?
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
Greg Davis

Sounds to me like if anything you've got too much training in there especially if you're in a calorie deficit (losting weight).. you could leave your plan the way it is but just also plan on passing on training sessions for rest days..

You're active enough that for the sake of losing weight your results are going to come largely from your diet (keeping carbs/cals low)
Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Grissim Connery

yeah focus on the food more.

are you conditioning for bjj or doing bjj to condition? the best way to condition yourself for grappling is....grappling.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote