Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Ben Moskowitz

Default Mid-Hang Snatch with PVC

Here's the video.

Well, it's not quite PVC, but it's close. I've been working through the drills for the snatch in Olympic Weightlifting as part of my warm-up. Since the mid-hang snatch is at the end of the chapter and the next step is add weight, I thought now would be a good time to check in with some internet coaching.
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
Blair Lowe

My 2 cents. I did the slow mo watching via the trick I learned from Steven Low of pushing the play/pause button quickly.

When you start pulling after the shoulder shrug with the elbows, you havent' fully opened your hips. On one of them I still saw your knees bent. I'd like to see you push through the forefoot really opening that hip. Maybe it was just the clothes but maybe someone else will see this.

When using the pvc or light weight ( bar only ), I like to work the motions in slow motion really focusing on extension of the hips, knees and foot ( something Steve said I should also try ). Mainly, I do this because I find it's a weak point in my lifting or was. Probably still is but probably way better than last year.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Ben Moskowitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post
When you start pulling after the shoulder shrug with the elbows, you havent' fully opened your hips. On one of them I still saw your knees bent. I'd like to see you push through the forefoot really opening that hip. Maybe it was just the clothes but maybe someone else will see this.

When using the pvc or light weight ( bar only ), I like to work the motions in slow motion really focusing on extension of the hips, knees and foot ( something Steve said I should also try ). Mainly, I do this because I find it's a weak point in my lifting or was. Probably still is but probably way better than last year.
Thanks for the catch, that's huge. I was watching video of my hang power cleans today from the CF.com WOD, and I was definitely "short-rooming" the clean. And it's the least complex thing you can do, ahh! Besides going through positions slowly, are there any fixes for incomplete hip extensions?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Blair Lowe

I wish I knew. Hopefully more knowledgeable people than me will comment. Patience, maybe.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Ben Moskowitz

OK, here's round 2. I've been working through the progressions in the book, with particular emphasis on the mid-hang snatch pull. I like to get into the mid-hang, jump as high as I can, reset, and then do the pull while trying to maintain the jumping sensation. Sort of a cool complex, maybe.

In any case, here's the video

I wish I could figure out how to put music into the vid with Windows Movie Maker so it's more exciting, but oh well.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Blair Lowe

I think it looks better. Time will tell when you do it with a real bar empty or loaded.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #7
Ben Moskowitz

Cool. I'll start practicing with a bar or a training bar and report back later.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
Martin Bonn

hey ben,

(i m quite new to all this so you might want to take anything i say with a grain of salt!)
just a couple of things i noticed, and they might only occur because you are training with a light bar.
1.) arms aren t 100% straight...just a minor thing and is probably gonna sort itself with some weight

2.) right, so this can be contested depending on how you've been taught and what your expericence is etc: it looks to me like all the acceleration on the bar comes from you leaning back (i.e. all spinal erectors and some hams), you legs are quite straight when you initiate the second pull, so there is little quad involvement. in other words it look like there isn't much double knee bend.
when i figure out how to capture a still image and paste it in here i ll show you what i mean (look on page 49 of greg's book at the bottom right...that s the position you want to get to before you jump).

having said that, you have nice speed throught he middle and it looks a lot better than when i first started!
Martin Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
Blair Lowe

I don't know what it means, but you are hopping backwards as you are snatching.

I did see the arms but maybe I thought that was how your arms were naturally.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

When you bring the bar to the mid hang position, try to really push your hips back and a tip from Leo S. when I was down at his affiliate was to go from high hang to mid-hang quickly, rather than going from high hang to mid-hang slowly. So you should start at high hang, push your hips back to mid-hang and quickly reverse to a snatch/power snatch.

I'd recommend progressing to a bar and refilm, PVC is ok but it's easy to mask errors, using a bar it will give a little bit more feedback and let your body know what it feels like. Have you been using the Burgerne warmup? If not I'd do that every time.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote