Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-15-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Cory Vines

Default Cory's IBOLC Workout Log

The last week of July I started Infantry BOLC (formerly IOBC). The PT here would have been enough for me to get in good shape as far as the Army PFT is concerned, but I wanted to build some maximal strength as well. Upper body strength (whether it be high rep push-ups and pull-ups, or maximal strength on bench press) have always been my weak point. On the other hand, running comes fairly easy to me and is easy to maintain.

My goals are:
  • 80 push-ups in 2 minutes
  • 85 sit-ups in 2 minutes
  • 20 Chin-ups (strict, deadhang)
  • 15 Pull-ups (strict deadhang)
  • 2-Mile Run in 12:00
  • Back Squat (1RM): 370#
  • Bench Press (1RM): 275#
  • Press (1RM): 165#
  • Deadlift (1RM): 440#
The organized morning PT we do should easily take care of my run time and sit-ups. Also, 2 years ago I found that my push-ups on my APFT were there highest ever by focusing on low to medium reps and high weight on the bench press and press, as well as throwing in some heavy cable rows and unweighted chin-ups. So, I figure increasing my strength on the Bench Press and Press will carry over to my push-ups fairly well. I decided to do Ripp’s Starting Strength program in my off time with a focus on pull-ups and chin-ups. IBOLC is 13 weeks total and I realize that I may not be able to meet all of these goals in that time. The goals I want to achieve the quickest are the push-ups, sit-ups, and run for my APFT. I am worried that I may be trying to do too much and would like some input on that, as well as other ideas on reaching my goals. I apologize for the initial length. I will keep it short from here on out.

Last edited by Cory Vines; 08-15-2009 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Split up goals and training schedule
Cory Vines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
Cory Vines

Here is my workout schedule for the past 3 weeks:

Week 1
Tuesday: APFT: 51 push-ups, 79 Sit-ups, 13:29 2-Mile Run, 8 Chin-ups
Wednesday: Ranger-Athlete-Warrior (RAW) Test – Illinois Agility Run, Kneeling Backwards Overhead Medicine Ball Throw, Metronome Push-ups, Pull-ups, Knees-to-Elbows (K2E), 300m Shuttle Run x 2, Beep Sprints (need to get reps and times for all of these)
Thursday: RAW Test (cont.) 225# Deadlift for max reps – 13 reps, 185# Bench Press for max reps – 1 rep
Friday: “Motivational” First Sergeant Run 1mile to stadium, run every stair in stadium, and 1 mile run back, followed by Combatives (mainly drills, not very strenuous)
PM Weightlifting: Back Squat – 3x5x125#; Bench Press – 3x5x140#; Chin-ups – 3 sets of 6/4/3
Sunday: Back Squat – 3x5x140#, Press – 3x5x95#, Deadlift 1x5x225 (didn’t feel strong on form)

Week 2
Monday: Combatives (drills and 5 or so grappling matches)
Tuesday: 1 mile jog to stadium (7 min), 3 x 400m Sprint / 400m Jog (Sprints all under 1:30 and Jogs over 2min), 200m Sprint in 45s, 1 mile jog back (7 min), Upper Body Circuit – 4 sets of max Pull-ups (12), Push-ups (55), Dips (20), K2E (20)
Back Squat – 3x5x155; Bench Press – 3x5x150, Chin-ups – 3 sets of 5/3/2
Wednesday: 3.4 mile Last Man Up Run, followed by lower body circuit 4 sets of Lunges, Air Squats, and Thrusters (unknown wt) for a minute each
Thursday: Combatives (drills and about 5 grappling matches) and 4 for the Core (1 min front plank, 1 min side plank, 1 min other side, 1 min front plank, all without rest)
Friday: 4 mile Ruck with 40# ruck in PTs and boots in 1 hour, 4 for the Core
Saturday: Back Squat 3x5x170; Press 3x5x105; Deadlift 1x5x225 (still working on form)
Sunday: Back Squat 3x5x180; Bench Press 3x5x160; Pull-ups 3 sets of 4/3/2

Week 3
Monday: Didn’t write it down; afternoon did 3 hours of land navigation when it was very hot it was the most 2nd most physically taxing day I have had in the past 9 weeks
Tuesday: 5 hours of Land Navigation (about 8 miles of walking, fairly exhausted at the end but the morning was not anywhere near as hot as the day before)
PM Weightlifting: Back Squat 3x5x190; Press 3 sets of 3/3/2x110; Chin-ups 3 sets of 5/4/3
Wednesday: 1 mile jog to stadium (7 min), 3 x 400m Sprint / 400m Jog (Sprints all under 1:30 and Jogs over 2min), 1 mile jog back (7 min), Dip Pyramid (about 50), Pull-up Pyramid (55 but probably 30 were buddy assisted), 20’ Rope Climb 1 ascent, 4 for the Core
Thursday: Obstacle Course (pretty difficult for me, taxed my grip and pulling muscles already sore from Wed)
Friday: Run 15 min out (fast pace), took 17 min to get back (unknown distance)
Saturday: Back Squat 3x5x195; Bench Press 3x5x165; Deadlift 1x5x225

I appreciate all input and opinions.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Brandon Deen

What a load of trash I've never seen a workout log this terrible, but what can u expect from an lt from sfa.
Hows BOLC sir?
Brandon Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Ft. Benning right now? Hot much? Seriously though best of luck. I ran 5/3/1 while I was doing MP BOLC earlier this year with success, we had PT 5x a week and then I usually went 3-4 days a week to the gym otherwise. I think 5/3/1 might be a better option with all the PT and other stuff you have to do as it's much more flexibile and IMO less taxing. Right now you could almost run 3 entire cycles if you did all 4 lifts per week, leaving you plenty of time to focus on the pullups/chinups. Check out this article over at T-nation about working the chest:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...n_just_8_weeks

The article is geared towards bodybuilding but the author claims the guy went form 20 to 70 non stop chest to deck pushups in 8 weeks. So if you were able to do it APFT style then you'd be maxing it easily. I was thinking about running this little routine starting this week to see where it got me.

Also you put your goals up but not where you are at right now with some of your goals. What about your eating plan?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:00 AM   #5
Cory Vines

Deen, haha, how are ya? How was LDAC? BOLC II felt like a 7 week exercise in futility, but you won't have to do it because they are shutting it down. IBOLC on the other hand is pretty good. I see a purpose in most of the things we do and all the guys are really motivated. But we are already being indoctrinated. We had 4 speeches during week 1 that all went something like this…the Infantry is AWESOME, Go to RANGER SCHOOL, you are awesome for being in the Infantry, you won’t be awesome if you fail Ranger School, and I would do anything to be able to trade places with you right now and be a PL again because your job is awesome, except I wouldn’t go back to Ranger School. Remind me, what are you trying to branch?
Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Cory Vines

Future Goals (current level):
80 push-ups in 2 minutes (51 3 weeks ago, probably a few more now)
85 sit-ups in 2 minutes (79)
20 Chin-ups, strict, deadhang (8)
15 Pull-ups, strict, deadhang (6 on thick bar)
2-Mile Run in 12:00 (13:29 3 weeks ago, with running in IBOLC probably under 13)
Back Squat (1RM): 370# (3x5x195)
Bench Press (1RM): 275# (3x5x165)
Press (1RM): 165# (3x5x105)
Deadlift (1RM): 440# (1x285 last spring or 13 reps with 225 recently)

Diet: I have not been putting much thought into it. Sometimes we have time to eat breakfast at the DFAC, sometimes we have to grab something at a gas station. I have thought that I should start bringing a breakfast with me. Lunch is usually either DFAC or MREs. Dinner is whatever I get together at the house, or if in the field MREs again. I generally have some mixed nuts, sunflower seeds, power bars, or trail mix for snacking on throughout the day. As you can see diet has not been a main focus of mine. I just try to eat enough that I don’t have insufficient calories to recover on. Any suggestions Allen, that you did to have a better diet at MP BOLC?

I like the simplicity of the 5/3/1 program, but the chest program looks very enticing for how much it improved his push-ups. What do you think about doing the chest workout and supplementary sets of push-ups for upper body, then doing 5/3/1 for Squats and Deadlifts? Maybe throw in some chin-ups/pull-ups as well? Thanks for the ideas.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

The running stuff you're on your own because that is probably my biggest weakness. All the other stuff....

Diet:
I was trying to hit the DFAC as much as possible, usually 3 times a day, unless we were in the field then it was whatever they gave us + whatever pogie bait I brought with me. At the DFAc I'd get whatever meal gave me the most meat and then got a huge salad to go along with it and soup if possible.

At the commissary you can get bags of jerk for less than $3. I made this a staple along with the nuts, trail mix...etc. With all the stuff you're doing you have to make sure you're getting in the cals and the protein, I wasn't as concerned with the fat/carbs as much just because I was doing so much.

I'd say stick with the 5/3/1 as recommended and then add the pushup program he outlined in there.

If you choose to go 5/3/1 this is how I split it when I was at MPBOLC, this is just a sample as you know our schedules change it seems at the drop of a hat.

Monday - Running PT day - military press day - pullup/chinup improvment
Tuesday - pushup situp improvement PT day - deadlift day
Wednesday - running PT day - recovery day, usually laps at the pool or rucking on my own
Thursday -pushup situp improvement day - I'd either do the bench this day or friday, depending on how the week was going and how I felt
Friday - running PT day - bench press day
Saturday - squat day
Sunday - rest/recovery

On top of the PT sessions I was doing pushups 2 times extra per week, if you plan on doing the pushup program form that article I'd just follow his guidelines on sets/reps/days.

Pullups and chinups, is 8 and 6 the most you have ever done, or just what you have done recently? I ask becaue I know I was down to 6 and 8 as well due to an arm injury but in the past I had gotten up to 15 deadhangs. Some good tips in this article:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...o_1_the_pullup

I did the method that Charles Poliquin in Strategy #1 and found it got me from 6 to 12 in only 4 weeks after not doing any pullups for months. I'd do this strategy on my military press day, and then on my bench day I'd do a few sets of max chins, chest to bar thrown into my workout. Also on my bench day I'd do any DB/barbell rowing, heavy as I know a lot of people have said it's helped them with their chins/pullups.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Brandon Deen

LDAC was good, alot of HOOAH's and crap. I was gonna try and branch engineer or MI, im not awesome enough to be infantry. You know there gonna tear down the whole LDAC barracks and make next years 3's live only in the FOB. So are you gonna go to Ranger School?

And So as the post wasnt totally pointless:

You should look into Pavel's, Power to the People it deals with low rep strength work on in really low volumes like 2x5 or 1x5 everyday of the week, it works i deadlifted 500# the other day. Probably could of done more if i used my other hand but oh well
Brandon Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Cory Vines

I decided to go with the 5/3/1 program. Next week I will be adding in the push-up program that Allen talked about, and to make it easier to comply with I will switch my Bench Press to Mondays and Military Press to Thursdays. 4-5 months ago I was up to 12 chest-to-bar chin-ups, but around graduation time I stopped doing them and BOLC II didn't help. Hopefully I can regain that strength quickly. I will be doing the Poliquin Pull-up improvement strategy as Allen recommended, and I plan to implement some high-rep Kroc DB Rows. Next week I will attempt to:
  • Keep track of bodyweight
  • Keep track of hours of sleep
  • Push the last set of each primary exercise past prescribed reps if possible (didn’t realize I was missing that part until last week’s squat workout)
  • Post every day not in the field, as opposed to the end of the week

Here are a couple questions for Allen, or anyone else with input:
  • I was reading Allen’s training log and was curious as to why you add on the 2 or 3 light sets at the end of your primary exercises (i.e. bench, deadlift, etc.)
  • What accessory work should I put with my back squat and deadlift days?
  • How long should rest times be? Or should they be as long as is needed to perform the required reps?
  • My understanding of Kroc DB Rows are that they are just high rep rows. Pick a weight that you can do 20-40 reps and do 1 set with each arm for max reps. Is this correct?
  • When should I work in core work?
  • What are your views on using weightlifting belts?
  • Do you have any particular recommendations for weightlifting shoes?

Good job on the Deadlifts Deen.

Last week’s workouts to follow.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
Cory Vines

Monday, August 17, 2009

Morning PT
10 minutes as many rounds as possible:
  • 5 Thick Bar Pull-ups (any grip or style)
  • 10 Push-ups
  • 10 Sit-ups
Results: 6 rounds +2 pull-ups

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Morning PT
Combatives Drills
30 min (not strenuous)

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Morning PT
Ruck March - 6 miles in 1hr 38min wearing ACUs, boots, and PC with 75 pound load consisting of:
  • 50 pound ruck
  • 10 pound FLC
  • ~10 pound weapon
  • 5 pounds of water in camelback
Notes: broke me off, use waist and chest strap next time

Strength
Military Press - 45 x 5, 55 x 5, 65 x 3, 75 x 5, 90 x 5, 5 x100
(2-3 min rests)
Pull-ups - chin to bar, thumbless grip - 10 sets of bwt x 2

Notes
-Wendler’s 5/3/1 program Day 1, Week 1
-Work towards chest to bar pull-ups

Thursday, August 20, 2009

PT Substitute
Fire Team Live Fire - assaulting 300m downhill while doing 3-5 sec rushes and firing from multiple positions; after completion, sprint back up hill; only ~8 min each iteration but it was a smoker
  • Iteration 1 - Blank Fire - ~25# of gear (no IBA)
  • Iteration 2 - Live Fire - ~43# of gear (full kit)

Strength
Deadlift - 135 x 5, 135 x 5, 145 x 4, 160 x 5, 180 x 5, 205 x5
(2-3 min rests)

Notes
-Wendler’s 5/3/1 program Day 2, Week 1
-Wore a weight belt for last 3 sets.
-No accessory work

Friday, August 21, 2009

Morning PT - First Sergeant Smoke Session
4+ Mile Run (probably 4.5-5mi)
  • 1st 2 miles in 14:38
  • Included a run up Cardiac hill, part of it backwards
  • 50m of Lunges before running up another hill
  • Stopped for half 1/4 of the company to catch up three times
  • 50 min total time
Calisthenics
  • 52 Flutterkicks (4-count)
  • 12 Push-ups (4-count)
  • 10 Push-ups (4-count)
  • 90 sec Buddy Assisted Push-ups
  • 45 sec Buddy Assisted Push-ups
  • 26 Flutterkicks (4 count)
  • Front/L&R Side Planks
  • Back Bridges
  • 10 Thick Bar Pull-ups
Total Time: 1hr 40min, no water

Strength
Bench Press - 70 x 5, 90 x 5, 105 x 5, 115 x 5, 135 x 5, 150 x 5
(2 min rests)
Chin-ups - chest to bar, thumbless grip - 5, 4, 3
(2 min rests)
1 Arm DB Rows - 50 x 8, 50 x 8, 50 x 8 (each arm)
(2 min rests)

Notes
-Wendler’s 5/3/1 program Day 3, Week 1
-Bench Press felt light. Next time push the last set past prescribed reps.
-Next time do high-rep Kroc Rows for the DB Rows.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Warm-up
Bulletproof Knees (by Mike Robertson) Warm-up:
  • Static Stretching and Activation
  • Dynamic Flexibility Drills
Strength
Back Squat - 85 x 5, 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 175 x 11
(2 min rests)

Notes
-Wendler’s 5/3/1 program Day 4, Week 1
-No accessory work
-Abs and quads pretty sore from yesterday