Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Deadlift singles

I hate doing sets of deadlifts with multiple reps, I feel my form turns to s**t after the first. So I thought I'd just focus on singles.

Basically, on Monday and Friday I do my two heavy lifting days. The first three are 5x5, front squats, bench press, bent-over row. The next is hang clean and press at 8x3. And then finally I'd have the dealifts. Start at one weight and add til my form fails. So start at like 100 pounds and add ten each set til I lose form, the next time, start a little less that where I ended last time.

This is mixed with jiu jitsu tuesday and thursday and and HIIT or complexes with body weight, kbs, sandbags, etc. On saturday is either HIIT/complexes again or more jiu jitsu (or both depending on how I feel) and Sundays are absolutely nothing days (or play days, friendly tennis etc)
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Brandon Enos

My bad, forgot to ask my question. Will I still see benefits from just doing the singles? Will putting them after all the rest make a difference?

And another question. Should I cut down on total reps my strength training days? Im currently IF Tues-Thurs and sometimes on Saturday. But even then, Im in a slight calorie deficit everyday for weight loss. I dont want to get large, my muscles are already large, I know that, I just have to uncover them. My goals are to lose the fat (my end goal is to be somewhere around 9-11% body fat) and to increase my strength.

Im not afraid of getting super big or anything, I know I wont be eating enough or doing enough really. My worrie is that the heavy weight plus the 5x5 will put my body in a area where itll be trying to grow and wont be able to fuel its repairs and I end up overtraining or hurting myself.

Maybe I should do all the lifts except the deads 5x3 instead of 5x5 and 8x3? Will it make that big of a difference?
Old 09-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Martin Bonn

that would depend on how many sets of singles it takes you to reach your max for the day and how heavy in absolute and relative terms that DL is.

what i mean by that is: does it take you 30 odd singles to get to your max? if so you get a lot of volume. if it takes you 5.... then maybe not so much!
is your max DL 2-3 times BW? is it over 500 pounds? that s heavy stuff and it won t take much to tire you out.

the thing with DL and squats for that matter is that they require a lot of concentration and your full attention! you might find that you are losing form becuase you are tired form the rest of your workout. DL and the end of a workout are IMHO not a good idea.
Also you seem to be doing a lot in one workout: all the right exercises, but too much all in one (unless your poundages are very light). plus something like the clean shouldn t really be done after you have tired yourself out on FS and the B Press.
sorry this all sounds quite negative, but i ve been there myself and had to learn the hard way! sometimes less is more! it will give you more energy to focus on one or 2 maybe three exercises and you will see a lot more progress, that might solve your 1 rep DL problem as well.
TOTAL: 227kg

Youtube
Martin Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Brandon Enos

So maybe doing an upper/lower split. With Front Squats, Deads, and maybe something else monday and bench, bent-over row, hang clean and press and maybe something else Friday? And keeping the same volume?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Pick 3-4 exercises on your strength days. Keep the volume lower than 15 reps per exercise (10 or lower would be better).

Only DL once per week.

What are your lift numbers?

You're trying to do JJ+HIIT+ more volume than Starting Strength... not such a good idea.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Dave Van Skike

When I was just getting back into the weight room a couple years ago, I did singles only for short stints on lifts that I needed to improve. I did it two ways that were both effective I think.

1) Steve Justa style,

Every other day just work up until you hit a nice working weight and then try to get about 10-30 reps in with that weight. The loads waved throughout the week as did the reps. I didn't know %'s or Prilipen's chart, which worked to my advantage I think. I did front squats, DB presses and power cleans.

2) Dan Johnish style.

one lift each day, 4 or 5 days in a row. try to hit about 10-30 singles. I did this with f squats, DB snatch, press, and DL. this worked pretty well. although the loads were low I improved pretty quickly and the number of total reps I could nail went up each week. I never went over 225 on front squats, or 365 DL, the DB snatch I pushed maybe as high as 115. The press never went above a plate. I did get a lot more proficient though. oddly, when I returned to rep work, I made really good improvements with 5's for a long while.

this is sort of the opposite of what you see called for by a lot of people. working from say sets of 5's and 8's down to doubles and triples but I think it worked well for me.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Brandon Enos

So Steven, maybe something like the original starting strength but with front squats, only twice a week and maybe only 3x3? Plus maybe some back exercise to hit my back in a way power cleans and deads wont, but pullups and bent-over rows can?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Brandon Enos

Dan, the only problem with those two options is that with my current work schedules, plus the HIIT and jiu jitsu, I really can only do any heavy lifting twice a week, occasionally three times.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Enos View Post
Dan, the only problem with those two options is that with my current work schedules, plus the HIIT and jiu jitsu, I really can only do any heavy lifting twice a week, occasionally three times.

Dave here. Which of those do you want to be good at? if you have access to weights each training day i'd just warm up a medium heavy single 2-3 days a week max the sport should take priorty, who cares about the rest?
Old 09-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Martin Bonn

I agree with Dave and Steve:
keep the numbers low, keep it heavy. focus.
you can only ever be really good at one thing...decide for yourself which one it s gonna be.
If it was between rows and pull-ups: i d prefer pull-ups: they don t stress your lower body in the way rows will.
TOTAL: 227kg

Youtube
Martin Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote