Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Kevin Perry

Default Critique this Sprint/Interval and strength program

Can you guys critique this program? I'm trying to build something that would allow me to train for a decent 1 or 2 mile run but still let me strength train. I was thinking of doing something like this for 6 - 8 weeks after I'm done with the SS phase in a couple weeks. So far I've come up with this. Normally I would just do CF with some extra running but I don't want to get back into CF until I know exactly when my ship date is.

Another thing, I was trying to find resources on how sprinters train because I've read before that they use a lot of strength and o-lifting for their explosiveness and I was trying to model this after that in a way.

4 days a week

Mon:
Sprints 70m x 5?
Back Squat 3 x 5
Bench Press 3 x 5
Bent Over Rows 3 x 5

Wed
Snatch
Clean/Jerk
Front Squats

Fri
400m int. x 4?
Front Squat 3 x 5
Deadlift 3 x 5

Sat
400m intervals x 4?
Power Clean 3 x 5
Overhead Press 3 x 5
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Brian Baggetta

This has been recommended before: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/sprints/ (wfs) and I have enjoyed the routine. That said, these are *sprint* programs, not programs designed for someone looking to improve @ 1-2 miles. IMO, sprints will always help, but do bear in mind that these programs are (depending on which you select) geared for people who are training for the 100, 200, and/or 400.

What are your goals for lifting? If you're interested in oly, any reason you're not doing CA programming?

Also, in my experience, this will work much better if you split the track and weightroom work, say morning and evening, provided you can fit that into your schedule.
Brian Baggetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Kevin Perry

Well my priority is preparing for the APFT, pushups and situps have never been an issue but running is.

I have been on SS for a little bit now and im closing in on some strength goals for the lifts and my bodyweight weight goal. I would like to keep working towards improving some of the lifts for a little longer. I'm not doing the Pmenu wod because O-lifting is no longer a priority, I like doing the O-lifts but I have wednesdays for that with a coach.

I'm not sure if I can split the workouts now that the semester has started, that would be difficult to implement. Thanks for the link.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Brian Baggetta

Got it on the oly; feel your pain with the schedule

I guess my question was whether you are looking to gain strength or maintain what you've built on SS?

I think it will be very hard, for example, to make gains in DL and bench training them only once a week, particularly if your schedule forces you to train them right after sprint intervals.

(FWIW, I think you should do the intervals first, as you have it listed in your program, since your stated issue is running)
Brian Baggetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
Kevin Perry

Yea I'd like to maintain strength and slowly improve, I know it would be hard for some of the lifts working them only once a week.

Well let me ask this: for those currently in the Army specifically Infantry or related branches, how much strength do you feel would be a good base for which to begin conditioning?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Donald Lee

How fast do you think you can run right now? How fast do you want to or need to run? How much time do you have until you take a APFT?
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Kevin Perry

I can run about a 7:30 min mile, I'd like to improve that as best as I can. As for the APFT I don't have to take it for several months, so I have time. My plan was to get strong first then to start working on the run and then work on overall GPP.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Donald Lee

This is what I've seen in the military. People start out skinny or at least without much lifting of weights. As they progress or get older, they get bigger and stronger.

I think a good idea would be to strength train 2-3 days/week and run 3 days a week LSD. Do that maybe for a month or so. Maybe once a week you can do a fartlek run with bits of higher intensity. Then, you can start doing more intervals and such after that first month, but intervals of 70 m aren't really helpful for the military IMO. Plus, starting off running with intense intervals is a recipe for injury or overdoing it.

In my experience, it's worth it to work into running again. I spent way too much time strength training thinking it would transfer into endurance, and then I'd find myself having to go all-out endurance in the last 2-3 months before OCS. Maximal strength really has little transfer to endurance in the short run.

So I guess my advice is to do what you need to do to get in shape for the military first. Then, you can do whatever you want later on. Wanting to sprint fast and be really strong is not what you need to be in the military initially. The military wants you to have endurance, so you should train for that first.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Scott Kustes

Not going to make you faster over 1-2 miles by focusing solely on 400m and below runs. And 400m intervals on back to back days is a bad idea if you're actually running those intervals hard.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Kevin Perry

Ok, I was initially thinking sprints to improve speed for the runs but endurance is not my knowledgeable area.

So 2 - 3 days of resistance training plus a few days of running just vary the distance? 1,2,3 miles and longer as needed? Thats not tough to figure out.