Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Eric Egan

Default warming up for WODs

what are you guys doing as a warm up before the actual WOD?ive been doing the Bergner warm up and some 45 lb OHS but i dont think its enough because my shoulders start to hurt pretty bad by the time im done and i can barley lock out a jerk.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks
Eric Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
garrett stack

I usually try and do a few of the following: back extensions , ghrs, leg swings forward and back + side to side, arm swings, dislocates ( which should help your shoulders) , jerks with an empty bar or OHS with an empty bar , split squats off a bench and over /unders with a bar placed at hip height , pullups
I usually aim to have a slight sweat on and be slightly out of breath by the time I am ready to start lifting.
If I was stuck for time I might just do 5 mins on a bike or 500m on a rower the dislocates and empty bar work.
garrett stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Donald Lee

1. joint mobility work (neck, wrists, elbows, shoulders, ankles, knees, hips, spine)
(5-10 reps) (usu. takes about 5 min)

2. 2-10 minute general warmup (jump rope, jogging, jumping jacks, C2 rower, shadow boxing, etc.) (elevate heart rate to about 120-140...unless you're about to compete in a MMA or martial arts tournament, which you should then elevate it to about 170 3-5 times)

3. dynamic flexibility work (arm cirles, leg swings, shoulder dislocates, etc.) (You can do shoulder pre-hab work here, whether it's with a band or dumbbells or cables.)

4. specific warmup (burgener warm-up, passive stretching of ankles and wrists and other problem areas, etc.)

Your warmup should probably take about 30 minutes. It'll take longer if you have a lot of flexibility issues or problem areas. If you're into foam rolling, you could also do some foam rolling somewhere in there (either 3. or 4.).

Last edited by Donald Lee : 09-06-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typos
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Eric Egan

thank you,ill will give that a try on the next WOD
Eric Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Neill Smith

You can also try the Catalyst Athletics standard warm up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhHc7FbSUiY.
Neill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Jamie Jamieson

I like the warmup Dan John suggested. I modified it a bit so my hips can stretch out and added some overhead work.

With the bar or pvc:
8 ohs
8 press behind the head
8 overhead lunges
8 front squats
8 good mornings

Rest 1 minute and do it again, rest 1 minute and do it the third time. This elevates my heart rate and seams to get all the joints ready for training.

If my shoulders are still tight jerking, I will put the bar behind my head in a high bar position and rotate my elbows up for a few seconds a side 3 or 4 times. then do the same in the front squat position.
Jamie Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Occhiogrosso View Post
You can also try the Catalyst Athletics standard warm up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhHc7FbSUiY.
I 2nd this recommendation for Oly days., it takes around 10-15 minutes. I disagree that a warmup should take 30 minutes, that would be half my workout time just warming up.

500 m's on the rower
a few minutes of joint mobility
a few minutes of dynamic flexibility

I'll then do the Burgener warmup afterwards.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Neill Smith

One thing I really enjoyed during my two weeks training at CA was agility ladder drills in the warm up. They develop agility and coordination, two of the underserved dimensions of fitness. They also get you moving your feet quickly, which probably has some carryover to Olympic lifting.

If you have your own facility, you can draw a ladder on the floor. If you're at a gym that doesn't have a ladder or the space, that's a limitation.
Neill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I 2nd this recommendation for Oly days., it takes around 10-15 minutes. I disagree that a warmup should take 30 minutes, that would be half my workout time just warming up.

500 m's on the rower
a few minutes of joint mobility
a few minutes of dynamic flexibility

I'll then do the Burgener warmup afterwards.
Allen,

You must be really limber. Do you workout in the afternoon or evening?
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Allen,

You must be really limber. Do you workout in the afternoon or evening?
Not particularly. I usually do mornings right now but when I was doing Oly it was typically afternoon.

I just think you have to go with the most bang for your buck. It's great to do prehab and movement prep, dynamic flexibility...etc but IMO 1/2 hour per session is a bit too much. I do recovery stuff separately at night.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote