Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
Justin Silverman

Default Programming Recommendation

If my goals are to increase strength and improve at the olympic lifts, would it be best to jump into the performance menu workouts now or do starting strength for 4 - 6 months and then start with the performance menu workouts...or something completely different? All advice would be greatly appreciated

Height: 6'
Weight: 86kg

1 Rep Max:
Snatch - 80kg
Clean and Jerk - 100kg
Back Squat - 116kg

Thanks and I appreciate everything you guys do. Working out at Catalyst Athletics is one of a handful of reasons I can't wait to move back to the Bay Area.
Justin Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Jay Ashman

I don't see an issue with jumping into the Catalyst workouts at all.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
I don't see an issue with jumping into the Catalyst workouts at all.

Absolultey agreed on that!!

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Justin Silverman

Any thoughts on just jumping in with today's workout or starting at the beginning of the last cycle?

Thanks
Justin Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Jay Ashman

Hmmm, that I can't answer at all, not sure of how CA structures their workouts and how long each cycle is. I think someone who does them would be able to answer them.

I wish I had the equipment handy they use, I would do CA workouts in a heartbeat.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Current CAWOD:

. Back squat - 85% x 2 x 4
. Snatch deadlift - 105% x 3 x 3
. Push press - 78% x 4 x 5

I'd say as long as you know what you're maxes are and you adequately "warm up" going into these top sets, you will be fine. Nothing about those percentages on those movements is going to cause any great concern - but I would use the max on your snatch deadlift as your current snatch and work on doing these as a pull without the extension above the crease in the hip.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Jay Ashman

I've always wondered why CA uses 78% and other odd percentages rather than rounding up or down to the nearest 5%. I'm sure there is a great reason for it, I just usually go by 5% increments, but I assume the more advanced you get, the smaller the margin of error is with these lifts and every percentage counts dramatically.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

I am guessing variability in the overall planning template. Plus the mesocycles seem to run on 12 week programs. At least from my casual observation over the year. Very solid, IMO. Plus, it's hard to push 80 to 80% for 5s after doing two exercises before hand, at least in my experience. Not impossible, just hard.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
I've always wondered why CA uses 78% and other odd percentages rather than rounding up or down to the nearest 5%. I'm sure there is a great reason for it, I just usually go by 5% increments, but I assume the more advanced you get, the smaller the margin of error is with these lifts and every percentage counts dramatically.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
I am guessing variability in the overall planning template. Plus the mesocycles seem to run on 12 week programs. At least from my casual observation over the year. Very solid, IMO. Plus, it's hard to push 80 to 80% for 5s after doing two exercises before hand, at least in my experience. Not impossible, just hard.

All the best,
Arden
you are probably right on about that. I will admit I don't have much experience at all with Oly Lifts, coaching them and planning a cycle around them, but I can admit that instead of faking my way through it. Barbell training however I am golden...

Its an area that I want to learn more about and am reading books about it now to get an idea of how to plan the cycles and what to do.

In the meantime CA has a ton of success with what they do and I don't think anyone can go wrong following their program at all, once I get the equipment needed to do it, I will do a 12 week cycle of theirs.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
you are probably right on about that. I will admit I don't have much experience at all with Oly Lifts, coaching them and planning a cycle around them, but I can admit that instead of faking my way through it. Barbell training however I am golden...

Its an area that I want to learn more about and am reading books about it now to get an idea of how to plan the cycles and what to do.

In the meantime CA has a ton of success with what they do and I don't think anyone can go wrong following their program at all, once I get the equipment needed to do it, I will do a 12 week cycle of theirs.
Here's what I had to do:
1. Bought about 300 pounds in cheap bumper plates (kraiburgs at rubberman);
2. bought a decent bar (York training or Pendlay HD)
3. tossed my ego out the window;
4. thought speed and technical precision;
5. spent tons of time watching videos and asking questions on boards like this on technical issues;
6. read everything I could get my hands on;
7. if you don't have access to a coach, videotape your technical lifts and ask periodic critques on boards like this one seeking technical evaluations;
8. when you get your feed back on your critiques, write it all down, and only focus on one thing each set you perform. Trying to do too many will result in utter confusion.
9. be hella patient; it's a long term process.

All the best,
Arden