Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Blair Lowe

Default Snatch critique please

01-05-10

Be brutal, be honest. I already have when after shooting them and now as I re-edited them. Much to be desired.

Did the Burg WU and progressed to the lifts today. I was gonna do more but was on a time crunch.

I think I'm not keeping the bar close enough to my body. I feel so slow when throwing the bar which I attribute to not doing them enough simply.

I managed to get a pair of wannabee cons. Because I'm more of a barefoot guy nearly 24/7, I'm not the most stable person in them. I catch a lot of **** though from my dad and friends and such so I didn't have to throw down much. Besides, I can use them for CF/GPP, blah, blah instead of my cross trainers (because I really don't give a damn about wearing shoes much). We'll see about proper WL shoes one day when the budget allows for it and it's more of a priority.

40kg, 50kg, 50kg+2x10lbs(I think, I don't I used 25's).

My max PR snatch up this point was around 150. I'd have to remember the exact weights so it was approaching BW at that time of around 165 but felt slow back then as well (3 months ago?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DQ5RKvpVw4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mc-nDkHM1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOmcZEpFxbE

Here's an old clip about a year and a half ago. It was light but I want to say it was 40kg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwl2Fab9dmM

Thankyou all.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Yuen Sohn

Blair,
Just a few things

-You seem to be pulling the bar forward, around the knees. In your next session, work on getting the knees out of the way of the bar, rather than vice versa.

-In addition to the bar being forward, you're coming up on your toes prematurely.

-There's not really a distinction between your 1st and 2nd pull...you appear to be trying to accelerate it from the floor. Try being more patient with the 1st pull and focus on accelerating the bar when it's above the knees, keeping it close to your thighs as you reach full extension.

I'll upload what I think are some key frames in your video later on, if you'd like (I'm on the road now).
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
Yuen Sohn

1st Pull (Forward trajectory of bar):

Coming up on toes early:
Old 01-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Blair Lowe

Yeah, I know I need to basically take it back to formula as far as the 1st and 2nd pulls versus accelerating it from the ground. That was my first reaction after viewing the video after each lift.

I can understand it, but doing it and implementing it hasn't happened yet. Now that I have a camera, I can take video more often. I am trying to find a club locally, but haven't heard back yet.

I will be going to a workshop on the snatch this month and we'll see about one of the seminars when funds allow.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

I just have to say this.

Yeun,
You are the shiznit. I love your analysis of lifts. Thanks so much for the time and effort.

Okay, I'm done now.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
glennpendlay

slower from the floor, push the knees back from the floor, use the traps to "scoop" the bar in, then jump...

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
slower from the floor, push the knees back from the floor, use the traps to "scoop" the bar in, then jump...

glenn
And, oh, while I'm giving props...this man needs no introduction. Glenn is fantastic!

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
Yuen Sohn

Ahh, thanks for the kind words Arden

Blair, just a suggestion, but try working from above the knee for a little while. Get used to pushing through the floor with your feet flat. If you have access to blocks, that's good too (or stack bumpers if you need to). I really do feel you've got the ability right now to snatch bodyweight and above, it just comes to some positioning and timing.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
Blair Lowe

Quote:
work on getting the knees out of the way of the bar, rather than vice versa
went to a mini seminar today on the snatch. the wording of pushing the knees back is what made sense to get the knees out of the way. Derr.

Now I have a 1st and 2nd pull after I learned how to load them hamstrings in the 1st pull besides seeing others do it (some of them slowly since they arent that powerful to begin with).

there still is some disconnect with the 2nd and 3rd pull but it leaps better. unfortunately my camera's lcd screen is FUBAR. It still may capture video but haven't tried yet.

this small seminar I feel really was what I needed to get some hands on time in getting that 1st and 2nd pull sorted out and fixed. Only 13 years too late.

I never went heavier than 74/5 lbs but going slow on the 1st pull feels much more different and heavier than I would have thought.

There was some talk about the scoop and double knee rebend but he tried not to because it could easily become information overload.