Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-13-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default Fred Hahn of Slow Burn(TM) takes up OL at LBH

http://p075.ezboard.com/fseriousstre...cID=1289.topic

This is the account.

It's quite interesting, as Fred Hahn comes to the realization that slow machine training doesn't really leave you "functional"

It's almost a comedy of ignorance.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
Steve Shafley

Actually, I take it back. Fred never seems to make that realization. And he feels his arms are "too short" to snatch, and that the snatch requires "hypermobility" in the shoulders, and his are too strong and stable for the snatch.

I commend him for trying it out.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Steve,

Your username ins't Sumo is it? Heh He seems to have it in for this Fred guy.

Anyway, wow that thread is kind of nuts this guy seems a bit stuck on himself in terms of physical appearance I think every other post was on how muscular he is compared to others. From what he was saying on the thread he had me thinking he was huge, but then I googled him and definitely not anywhere as large as his claims are in there.

Another thing is the whole "hypermobile" shoulders arguement. Say what? So he's saying snatching is hard because his joints are in such excellent condition and then says how everyone else there was rubbing icy hot on themselves along with wearing knee/elbow sleeves. In fact it seems like he's just making excuses for everything. "oh well I can't do this because of this or that...."

Maybe this is me being an ass but for all the things he talks about he seems to be very clueless and ignorant about a lot of things. At first I thought maybe he was a beginner but according to his bio he's been training people for 20 years...etc but he doesn't know how to test a vertical jump? He's not even sure what a front squat is? huh?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Steve Shafley

No, Sumo is a guy named Juan from the U.K.

Blobert is a good friend of mine. Lincoln is the Lincoln from Crossfit Sedona.

I am just an observer, I don't like participating there.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

This is pretty hilarious, and I can't believe Lincoln is so patient with the guy: he usually is pretty black/white on CF. I can relate to the guys comments since he seems to have many of my limitations. Of course, he finds an even better way to rationalize them: "not hypermobile shoulders"!

I also loved the comment by the guy who said that O lifters don't do bicep curls because it would get in the way of the rack position. That's hilarious!

He obviously has some sense of humor about himself since he mentions the coach calling him "puffy".

His ignorance is a little scary: "the bar weighs 40lbs", "what's a front squat", "how to you measure vertical jump"

Also, his sidekick asks him to test himself in a few weeks to see whether O lifting is all it's cracked up to be for vertical jump. It really is a comedy of ignorance.

Allen - I think what it comes down to is that we've been exposed to O lifting via different routes and have picked up some knowledge. I think for most bodybuilders they have no idea what's involved. The guy may be a bit self-absorbed but isn't that a requirement for bodybuilding?
Elliot Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
Robb Wolf

WOW. I talked a bunch with Fred after Dr' Eades posted a link to the Metabolic Control Analysis article we did with Dr. Seyfried. Fred had a slew of question pertaining to intermittent fasting and training in general. Fred is a good guy but I'd put him in the camp of the Last HIT Jedi's. SlowBurn (Fred's 'system") is better than sitting on the couch but in comparison to Devany's old stuff, CrossFit, Kettbells, Ross's work...Olifting...shoveling gravel!

I don't know, to each their own I guess but it is eerie to see someone SO focused on aesthetics when there is a 60 year old woman in the house that can wax your ass. Hang around some lifters and fighter long enough and you make few assumptions based on appearance...although i think Fred WAS int TaeKwanDo....

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
Yuen Sohn

Default Say What???

I remember seeing Fred last Wednesday, but at the time I did not know who he was. I'll admit I'm not familiar with either him or his training methodology, so I'll withhold any judgment. Anyway, I'm sure it would be more productive to have a friendly debate in-person.

There is one point I would like to clarify where he states being the 'ONLY' person in the room not using linament, braces and wraps. I certainly wasn't, and neither were my teammates John, Jimmy, David, Meegan or Dennis.

John: if you're reading this, who the heck snatched 125 on Wednesday????
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
Jonas Lind

Thanks for that. Very funny.
Jonas Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
John Alston

Hey, guys
Another LBH guy here. I can't access the thread linked at top while at work, so I will withold some comments.
Yoon is right, not everyone uses linament or sleeves.
Snatched 125? Was that Oskar? I think he told me he had a big lift I missed. I am not sure.
I will have to check out the thread tonight after training. We'll see if he's there tonight.
John Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Yuen Sohn

I guess I was just a bit taken aback by some aspects of his report. Among other things, you'd think he was the only healthy person in a room full of cripples.

Whatever the case, like Steve said, he did make the effort to go and try it out. I do hope he stays with it.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote