Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
Daniel Hartmann

Default Optimal Weight Class

I am currently 103.5 kg (without shoes on but with training pants, socks and t-shirt on) at 182 cm. I have 19% body fat at the moment. Would it be unrealistic for me to compete at 94 kg? Would I be better served by losing what excess boday fat I can and trying to put muscle on and stay in -105 kg?
Daniel Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Arien Malec

Are you at an age and level of ability where being a serious competitor is a possibility if you work hard? If so, do what your coach says, but at that height, you will end up being 105 at least.

If not, then optimize for health and fun (i.e., cut fat to 10-12%, which would argue for competing at 94kg.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Emily Mattes

About 5'10'', if you were an international competitor you would likely bulk up to 105kg. But as not an international competitor, at 19% body fat, you would probably find your health and fun (as Arien says) optimized at the next lower weight class. As you get better you can always add on more muscle.

I wouldn't go crazy on it though unless your coach recommends it. Just clean up the diet a bit and lift hard and the weight should drop off by itself.
Emily Mattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Philip Stablein

You are more or less exactly my size. I just bulked up to the 105s to get away from those shorty 94s. 6ft is a bit tall for a competitive 94, but as the previous posters covered, its all about optimizing your goals, health and fun. I am having more fun at 100+ kg though :-D
Old 02-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Daniel Hartmann

Thanks for all the answers. I am not good enough to win anything but I do see an Oly lifting coach and he wants me to bulk up for some meets. I would rather be a 94kg lifter as I don't like being heavier than I need to be. I was 205 lbs last year with less body fat and about the same lean mass but I looked really thin. Now that I am weightlifting full time I might not be able to keep from going -105kg but I think I'll still try.
Daniel Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote