Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
David Glass

Default David Glass' Training Journal

I've been contemplating moving my journal here for a while. It's been an emotional process since I've been logging my progress on American Parkour for the last 2 years or so, but lately, it seems most people there have limited access to equipment and, in general, are in different stages of their training, have different objectives.

About me:
A/S/W/H: 38/M/198/5'11''... Hope I got that right. My objectives have been

- Achieve a 300 lb squat. I have reached a plateu of 5x5x225# and have been there for the past 3 months

- Achieve a 350lb Deadlift. I have seen some gains here, but they too have come slowly. Maybe about 20 lbs in my 5x5 sets going up from 255# to 275#, although I think I might be able to handle 285#

- Lose weight: Here too I've been stagnant at 90Kg (198 lbs) for months now. I have been hoping to get down to 85 kg, but due to my plateu, currently, that seems unrealistic. I should point out that when my training began 2 yrs ago, I weighed 240 lbs. For the first year and a half, I lost an average of 2 lbs per month, I'd say (rough estimate)

Daily Diet
During weekdays, my diet is very strict, and will look like this with little to no variation

Breakfast:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 slice of cheese
- 10 slices of turkey

9:00 AM snack:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of equal proportions of Macademia nuts and Almonds
- 7 berries (black, boison, rasberries, or on occasions, strawberries or some small peaches)

Lunch:
- Some form of meat, most of the time consisting of two chicken or turkey breasts, steak or two fish filets together with a cup and a half to two cups of mixed veggies

3:00 PM snack:
- Same as 9:00 AM snack

Dinner:
- Salad with raw baby spinach, a bit of gorgonzola cheese, about a breast to breast and a half of chicken, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a little vinagre

Post Workout: 1 scoop of whey protein in water

On weekends, it's pretty much up for grabs. I will deviate largely from my diet, and, although I try to keep it under control, there will be things like sharing a desert with the wife, some carbs here and there (we lunch at restaurants), etc

Training
For the most part, I've been doing CrossFit, although lately I've been training MEBB focussing on strength. I'll train 4-6 times a week, 3 days on, one off (for the most part), training one day SS type training, one day CrossFit.

My CrossFit records are as follows:
- Fran: 6:47, achieved about 6 months ago. Haven't attempted since
- Helen: 12:48
- Cindy: 16 rounds, also achieved 6 months ago
- Elizabeth: 12:x, but with standard dips (got my rings a couple of weeks ago)

Max Strength:
- Deadlift: 310 lbs
- Squat: 265# x 3. I am terrified of going heavier
- Bench: 245# x 5
- Press: 155# x 2

My original training journal can be found here:
http://www.americanparkour.com/compo.../topic,8753.0/

I'm hoping to get as much insight as possible on how to achieve my goals. Obviously, as far as strength training and dieting, the fact that I'm stagnant means I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

-David
David Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
David Glass

Default "Heavy" Bench

Did some bench work today as part of my strength training.

Warm-up
I don't know what these are called, but, jumping push-ups? Where both arms and legs leave the floor... I did 3 sets of 5

Then
1 x 10 @ 155#
1 x 5 @ 185#

Then
5 x 5 @ 235#

Then
7, 8, 8, 6, 6 Inclined bench @ 135#

Both bench and inclined were done with a GymBoss timing out every 2:00. Going to move up to 245# since this is the second week I completed all 5 sets at 235#
Old 02-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
David Glass

Default A little sick today

I've been having stomach problems for the past couple of days, which I attribute to drinking too much coffee and eating all that valentines day stuff (ice-cream, chocolates, etc)

I'm trying to meet deadlines at work, so I've had to put in some overtime. This has caused me to drift a bit from my diet, which may even be a good thing, but has also interfered with my workout schedule.

After a 2 day rest, having stomach problems and sleeping poorly, today I did

Warm-up
- 5 minutes on rower
- 3 rounds of 54 lb KB goblet squats and push-ups, then...

Heavy Fran
21-15-9 reps of
-115# Thrusters
-Deadhang Pull-ups

My PR this WOD was under 14:00 a month or so ago, but today I was in the 17:00 range. I was feeling weak all over.

Then I decided to do 5 Km on the rower. I barely did one mile and had to run to the bathroom... alas, there are good days and bad days
Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
David Glass

Default Deadlift and Ring Dips

Warm-up
5 minutes on tower: 0.8 miles
Then...

Deadlift
1 x 10 @ 115#
1 x 5 @ 185#
1 x 5 @ 245#

295#: 5, 5, 5, 3, 1

Then Weighted Ring Dips with 40 lb vest
5, 5, 6, 7, 8

Starting to see gains in strength in every area except the back squat. I'm starting to think I am just terrified of it. I will continue working the squat at less than my 5 rep max until I overcome this.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Chris Salvato

Those DLs are in very high volume. Why so much?
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
David Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
Those DLs are in very high volume. Why so much?
Thanks, Chris, you're the second person to point this out to me

I was looking for a 5x5 on DeadLifts, Press, Squat and Bench Press.

I gather 5x5 is too much because of how hard it is on the lower back?

Also, given all the cleaning I'm doing, I think maybe I can go for a 3x5 on the DeadLift instead, once every 10 days or so?

I've actually done two workouts since my last visit:

Workout 1
- My buddies at work have decided they want to give CrossFit a shot, so I took them to the park for a second wod that consisted of the following

- Run 400m
- 30 air squats
- Run 400m
- 15 burpees
Repeat (2)
Those that finished did so in about 14:00 and change

Yesterday I did more of a SealFit WOD, which consisted of the following:

- Row 1 mile (6:50)
- 3 rounds for time of:
10 goblet squats, 10 push-ups, 5 deadhang pullups (3:50)
- Elizabeth, or 21-15-9 reps of Squat Clean, Ring dips (13:50)
- Run 2.25 miles (25:10)
- Max sit-ups in 2:00 (48)

It was my first Elizabeth Rx'd (with ring dips instead of standard), and I still broke under 14:00. My legs felt like a ton of bricks when going into the run after Elizabeth, but still I managed to keep close to a 10:00/mi rate
Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
David Glass

Default Legs Legs Legs

After saturday's lengthy SealFit workout, we had a walk on sunday

The walk was 3 miles to raise awareness of autism. I did it carrying all sorts of baby crap and water bottles to make it more interesting.

Then about another half mile to and from the car.

Last night I did Back Squats

Warm-up: 3 sets of Goblet squats with 54 lb Kettlebell

then

1 x 5 @ 135#
1 x 3 @ 185#

Then @ 220#
5, 5, 4, 3, 2

Then Chin-Ups
10, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4
Old 02-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
David Glass

Well, I have a cold. What better time to give the CrossFit training a bit of a rest?

I think I'll be focussing on strength training and resting for the next couple of weeks, focussing mainly on my back squat. Any other gains in deadlift, press or benchpress will be considered the icing on the cake.

Today I did Bench Press

Warm-up
Bar x 20, 135 x 5, 185 x 3

245#
5, 5, 5, 3, 2

Inclined Press with 135#
10, 8, 6, 5, 5

While doing inclined, I worked on grip strength by holding a 45# bumper (about 2.5'' thick), from the top part with both hands. I must have averaged about 15 seconds per hold, totalling about 60 seconds

Then, just to see how it felt, I did curls (haven't done these in about 2 years)
70#
10, 7, 6, 6

It was nice. I don't know how much I benefitted from it, but lately my arms haven't been looking the part, if you know what I mean.

I also played a bit of soccer with my kid today. I note this in my journal only as a reminder of the many dimensions in which we improve with our trainer. Even as a kid when I was in a soccer team, I don't remember being as precise or agile with the ball.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
David Glass

Saturday:

Warmup: 10 minutes freestyle jumprope (double-unders, skipping, cross-overs), 3 rounds for time of 10 Goblet Squats with 54 lb kettlebell, 10 push-ups, then...

Modified Fran: 21/15 - 15/12 - 9/9 reps of:
Deadhang Pull-ups/135# Thrusters
My time: 16:50

Then: 2 minutes of wipers (laying on floor, holding 135# barbell in bench-press position, bringing legs up straight, to one side, to the other)

I decided to forego the 2 mile run because I was recoverring from a cold. I am also winding down the endurance training a bit, which is why I went so much heavier on the thrusters. The goal was to actually do less reps, but I increased the weight to make the workout challenging from a strength training perspective.

I taped the session, and it's a good thing I did: Turns out I am still about an inch or two above parallel when going into the squat. I have been training for a while always trying to achieve full possible depth, not just below parallel, but this was an eye opener... really have to focus more on this.

Sunday, I did some Deadlifts
Warm-up: 10x135#, 5x225#, 3x275#, then....

310#
3, 3, 3, 3, 1+1
Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
David Glass

Bench Press

Warm-up: 10 @ 135#, 5 @ 185#

245#
5, 5, 5, 4, 4