Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
James Evans

Default Concept 2 time trial - monstrous result

Some of you C2 enthusiasts may be interested in this.

One of our guys pulled 16 minutes 30 for 5km this week. From what I've been told, and I haven't checked myself that puts him up with the GB oarsmen.

Fantastic effort for a novice and done after approximately 20 miles of cycling that day. Our guys are club rowers with full time jobs (James is a lawyer) not elite athletes.

5kms this winter have been rate capped (low 20s) and the scores are weight adjusted. This is normally to James' detriment as he is just shy of 100kg, slimmed down from 107ish. This weeks was the first full throttle, high rate effort.

That time is not indicative of incredible boat moving ability on the water but it is a hell of foundation. James has lot to work on and is still fighting for a spot in the 1st VIII for the Head of the River two weekends from now but I put my hands together for incredibly focused and committed individual.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Duke McCall

Wow. That is impressive.
Duke McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

That is a fantastic time. I have only ever pulled sub 20 minutes once for a 5K as most of the time it is just LSD for me. Incredible pace. If I did my math right that is a 1:39 500 10 times in a row. Solid!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
That is a fantastic time. I have only ever pulled sub 20 minutes once for a 5K as most of the time it is just LSD for me. Incredible pace. If I did my math right that is a 1:39 500 10 times in a row. Solid!
Pretty much so. We'll have the exact splits somewhere but I haven't seen them yet. I spoke to one of our other guys who is no mean athlete himself and he said:

"Man, he was relentless, I was dying there and he just seemed to be going harder and harder."
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Thomas Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Some of you C2 enthusiasts may be interested in this.

One of our guys pulled 16 minutes 30 for 5km this week. From what I've been told, and I haven't checked myself that puts him up with the GB oarsmen.

Fantastic effort for a novice and done after approximately 20 miles of cycling that day. Our guys are club rowers with full time jobs (James is a lawyer) not elite athletes.

5kms this winter have been rate capped (low 20s) and the scores are weight adjusted. This is normally to James' detriment as he is just shy of 100kg, slimmed down from 107ish. This weeks was the first full throttle, high rate effort.

That time is not indicative of incredible boat moving ability on the water but it is a hell of foundation. James has lot to work on and is still fighting for a spot in the 1st VIII for the Head of the River two weekends from now but I put my hands together for incredibly focused and committed individual.
Send that in to Concept 2; a search seems to indicate that would have been the fastest time in the world reported to C2 in 2010. . .
Thomas Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #6
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jones View Post
Send that in to Concept 2; a search seems to indicate that would have been the fastest time in the world reported to C2 in 2010. . .
I think the majority of those times are submitted by crossfitters and other gym rats.

There was a monthly league set by C2 UK last year with a different challeng each month. One of our girls was number 3 on the leaderboard in November (off the top of my head). She's good, but far from elite.

Genuinely elite times are hard to come by but consider that GB guys are pulling around 5 mins 50 and below for 2km. Just browsing now I saw a guy on the C2 forum posting a 5k PB of 16:31, his 2k was only 6:28.