Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Duke McCall

Default Training for Junior Lifters

After watching me compete recently, my oldest daughter (who is 7) decided that she wants to become a "weighlifter." Currently, she is a quasi-serious gymnast (meaning she is very serious about gymnastics, but is unlikely to compete at an elite level because her parents do not want gymanstics to consume her). I am inclined to start her off very slow with a program that would complement her gymnastics training. I have some ideas about progam design, but have never worked with anyone this age. I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks in advance!

Duke
Duke McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
glennpendlay

Duke,

Just have her do the clean and jerk and snatch, with light weights, as often as she wants to. Thats pretty much all there is to program design for a 7 year old.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Michael McKenna

Duke, ask Glenn Pendlay, as he does a lot of stuff with his son, and Arden Cogar, as he's had success with his daughter to some degree. Right now, keep it simple, let her do what she wants to and encourage her to do, and let her go to town with the pvc/ broomstick/5kg bar. They both post here.

Also, Paul LaDuke from Harrisburg (his 9 year old lifted at the meet) has some ideas that work well. You can get Paul's info from my facebook.

I'll paraphrase Victor Gallego: When they're young, nothing but technique and running for six months; 20 minutes technique, 20 minutes running and jumping, soccer, etc.

Victor's info is also on my Facebook.

As for the technical advice, two things:

1. keep the bar close to the body,
1. go fast

Yes, they are both #1. She learns those she will go far.
Michael McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

Coach Danny Carmango for Team Altamonte here in FL loves gymnasts. He begs for them after their gymnastics careers are over. It is a great base for her. I agree with everything said so far. Danny told me that is all he would do with Jr light weights, build form and teach him to go fast.

Best of luck with your daughter. I have a 5 KG bar from Glenn that is awesome.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
Duke McCall

Glenn and Mike:

Thank you. It is clear that I have been over thinking this. We will start playing around with the 5Kg bar and just see where it goes.

The last thing I want to do is push her. We will focus on having fun.

Best,

Duke
Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Duke McCall

Thanks, Derek. I would be happy with her pursuing both, but want to avoid burn out at a young age, which is what happened to me. After all, what we do can be a lot of fun.