Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Dave Van Skike

Default Good press thread.

Brewing over at P and B

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewt...asc&highlight=

all y'all oly guys would like thsi guy. he's a 100% weightlifting bigot. knows a bit about keeping it simple and getting strong.

Ladies and germs, I give you Duane....

Quote:
A guy that Steve P. and I know pressed 325 pounds in the 181 class.

There are a couple of ways to approach your training if you decide to specialize in the press. One constant, though, is that you need to press a lot of barbells overhead. Even if you are a naturally-strong presser and press very strictly, technique is important. You need to learn how to set up (so that your entire body is strong and ridged) and you need to learn the correct groove. The groove (or the bar path or your form; whatever) is arguably the most important for a lift like the press. When you press, you start with the barbell 4-5 feet away from your feet and there is no support (like a bench) in between. As the bar goes up, you increase the distance. What this means is that the barbell will feel heavier (because it is more unstable) as soon as you start moving it and it will feel increasingly heavier until you lock it out. The take-home lesson here is that you need to make your body strong before the bar leaves your shoulders.

After you have learned how to brace your body and push against the barbell, a good way to train is just to do a lot of singles with a heavy weight. You could do a lot worse than the 20-rep program that was stolen from Bill Starr:

Start with a light weight. Press it for 5 singles (rest about 1 minute between sets).

Add 10 pounds (or 5kg) to the bar and do another 5 singles.

Add 10 pounds (or 5kg) again and do 5 singles.

By now you have done 15 singles with some easy weight. Now,

Do several (4-6) singles; add 5-10 pounds (2.5-5 kg) to the barbell before each of these singles. By the end of this scheme, you will have done a lot of reps with medium weights and worked up to a fairly heavy single. The trick is that you should repeat this workout in a few days but start with a barbell that is 5 pounds (or 2.5kg) heavier. Over time you will start with a heavier weight and finish with a heavier weight, but you will also get a lot of practice with pressing heavy weights.

When you are working on pressing a heavier weight, you should also be working on the other things that make you strong. In general, this would be squats and deadlifts, plus power cleans and power snatches. If you can stronger with these lifts you will be stronger everywhere, including how much you can press.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Brian DeGennaro

I agree, frequent pressing is the only way to get the press up. I remember I did pressing movements almost every day for about 2 months. The result was bringing my 1RM from 165/170 - 187lbs. I found linear progression didn't work all too well with the strict press, had to start too light or stalled too soon. Heavy singles worked a lot, so did PP with a controlled negative.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
I agree, frequent pressing is the only way to get the press up. I remember I did pressing movements almost every day for about 2 months. The result was bringing my 1RM from 165/170 - 187lbs. I found linear progression didn't work all too well with the strict press, had to start too light or stalled too soon. Heavy singles worked a lot, so did PP with a controlled negative.
same here. although higher rep ranges work just fine for me including a max reps in a minute approach.

push press has helped my strict press waaaaay more than vice versa
Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
push press has helped my strict press waaaaay more than vice versa
My push press went up 15kg while my press went down 2.5kg. :S
Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
Arien Malec

Looks like the Joe Mills program...
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Looks like the Joe Mills program...
that thread will be worth keeping track of. there are two guys at PB that have yet to really contribute to it. Brian A, who's gotten 400 overhead at about LW strogman size(maybe 250). He really has learned a lot about pressing and is working on a book. At the other end is Craig P who's a LW strongman...Craig is so very not built to press (lanky and 6'3 or 4') but he's made really impressive gains by rotating overhead movements and using accomodating resistance with bands. Both guys are approachable as well so hopefully they'll chime in.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #7
Donald Lee

I've been wondering if the only reason benching helps with overhead pressing is because it develops the triceps. If that's the case, can't you just do Push Press, partial reps, French Press, etc. instead of doing horizontal pressing? With the Push Press and Partial Reps (top portion), you'd be handling heaver weights than you'd be using in the Strict Overhead Press anyways.

Also, does anyone think chains/bands are any more helpful for Overhead Press than Push Pressing. It seems like you're doing the same thing.

And, Brian Amundsen seems to have a lot of variety of pressing exercises from his YouTube page. I guess he prescribes to the Westside/Russian approach of a lot of exercise variety. I'm still torn about that. Even Mike T. seems big on the necessity for exercise variety. I've never really felt much need for varying exercises very much for me, but maybe it's because I'm not that advanced. Varying reps/intensity/volume seemed to do more for me than varying exercises.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Alex Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I've been wondering if the only reason benching helps with overhead pressing is because it develops the triceps. If that's the case, can't you just do Push Press, partial reps, French Press, etc. instead of doing horizontal pressing? With the Push Press and Partial Reps (top portion), you'd be handling heaver weights than you'd be using in the Strict Overhead Press anyways.
Bench works shoulders too. Plus having a large upper body helps you balance and stabilize, and bench is good for keeping you swole. Every serious overhead strict presser I've seen has been quite hypertrophied.

Quote:
Also, does anyone think chains/bands are any more helpful for Overhead Press than Push Pressing. It seems like you're doing the same thing.
No, push press is more just your knees giving your shoulders some momentum, the bands actually force your shoulders to accelerate through the movement.

Quote:
And, Brian Amundsen seems to have a lot of variety of pressing exercises from his YouTube page. I guess he prescribes to the Westside/Russian approach of a lot of exercise variety. I'm still torn about that. Even Mike T. seems big on the necessity for exercise variety. I've never really felt much need for varying exercises very much for me, but maybe it's because I'm not that advanced. Varying reps/intensity/volume seemed to do more for me than varying exercises.
I think you can only get away with a million variations if you press a ton, so you are still pressing pretty often. My big take away from that thread is "press more than you think you need to." There are guys in there talking about pressing 3 times a week and putting stuff overhead otherwise two additional days. If you are going to put stuff overhead 5 days a week, you can mix up the variations a ton, since you are still going to get around to strict pressing pretty often. A guy like me, who isn't interested in pressing more than twice a week and honestly cares more about his bench right now anyways, no way would I mix it up, if I only get two chances to press a week they had better both be regular presses.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Patrick Donnelly

Dave, I assume you're talking about Craig Pfisterer? He's 6'7, not 6'3. He's basically built like Jaws from the old James Bond movies, and he's about as strong too.

Thanks for linking the thread; I don't lurk on that website enough, though my interests sort of lie elsewhere right now.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Brian Stone

Dave's link did not work for me. Here's one that gets to that thread:
http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=46085

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote