Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Sara Fleming

Default My fourteen year old lifter

She's awesome. I'm taking her to her first competition (Blue Ridge open) in two weeks and she snatched 40 kg and C&J 50 kg today at practice. She just learned the lifts last summer and we didn't start training her specifically for weightlifting until February. She's a tall, thin 125 lbs. I am very proud of her.

http://www.raleighweightliftingclub.org (the kids are in the earlier posts)

Sara
Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 AM   #2
Sara Fleming

In her last practice before comp. (this Saturday), she snatched 43 kg and clean and jerked 56 kg. She weighs 57 kg. We'll see what she does on the platform, our main goal being just to get her to make her lifts.

Her lifts went up quite a bit after she stopped playing soccer for the season (3 weeks ago). I also had her stop doing crossfit five months ago. This has made a big difference in her overall strength.

If you have any positive vibes to send, please do, competition starts at 1pm on Saturday.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Jacob Rowell

Great lifts! I always wonder how kids, especially girls, get interested in weightlifting at a young age. Good luck at the meet, it's this weekend, correct? I was with a lifter at the meet in Ashland, VA a couple months ago, and they were actively promoting the Blue Ridge Open.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Sara Fleming

Thanks Jacob.

I used to train her mom when I trained at a crossfit affiliate. She came in to do Crossfit with her mom over the summer last year. Once she picked up a barbell and realized how strong she was, she was hooked. Positive reinforcement (as in a lot of positive feedback from coach and mom) really helps as does sharing pictures and videos of other female lifters such as Natalie Woolfolk and Amy Anaya. Once they realize they won't turn into man-beasts and that they can be stronger than the boys their age, its pretty darn easy to get them lifting. I'm working with some younger girls now, including my daughter, who think that the older girls are really cool.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Sara,
Absolutely fantastic!!Those lifts are outstanding. Much respect for your pupil and your coaching!

My own 12 year old has lifted in a few meets. She's still not developed a rack position, and she does both split cleans and split snatches, but she's getting there. Her training has been derailed by an interest in softball; but that's okay. She's dedicated her summer, after the end of softball season to getting back in the gym. She's tall too (5'8) and weighs 120. She likes being strong and able to do pull ups unlike most of her class mates.

Now, if my 9 year, dear lord, ever ....ever ......took an interest in lifting. The world could be her proverbial oyster. She is my body double and has cat like reflexes. Her legs were made for squatting and her back for pulling. But, alas, she hasn't quit gotten into the "athlete" thing to date. I hope that changes. But if not, that's cool too.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
Sara Fleming

Thanks Arden. I think its great getting these kids involved early. Best of luck to you and your children as well. I can't wait to bring my own daughter to a competition.

Sara
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Nice job with your lifters. I know four girls here who won national medals as juniors (some won several golds). Most of them just used it to get stronger for their sport (soccer and track) and saw great results. It seems harder to keep girls interested in OL as a full time pursuit. Every bit helps, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
My own 12 year old...5'8...120.
Watch out!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post

Watch out!
And she, thankfully for her, looks nothing like me. But she does have my spirit, drive, and pulling ability. I'm so gonna have my hands full in the years to come.

All the best,
Arden
Old 05-23-2010, 04:09 AM   #9
Sara Fleming

We got back from the open last night. It was a great event, run very smoothly, with some impressive lifters.

Anyway, she made 33 kg on her opening snatch, but then nerves got the best of her and she couldn't get 38 on her next two attempts. We then had her do 46, 49, and 52 for her clean and jerk and she made all three. We are very proud of her.

Thanks for the support.

Sara
Old 05-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
Derek Simonds

Awesome job Sara. She has her first meet under her belt.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote