Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Ben Langford

Default Arte Suave

This log will simply track my Jiu Jitsu training and associated strength and conditioning.

Im a purple belt in BJJ under John Will and I run a full time martial arts and fitness academy in Canberra, Australia. I run 8 classes of Jiu Jitsu a week and teach a fair few privates as well.

Ive been a little directionless with my BJJ lately and while I have still been making improvements I feel that I could be doing a lot better with a little bit more focus. I have set myself grappling improvement plans in the past and got fantastic results from them but all of these were reasonably short term 3 months or less and this time I want to try something a bit different.

I have decided to work my way through the entirety of Andre Galvaos training plan as outlined in his book Drill to Win. This is a 12 month training regime with specific one and two person drills for you to do 5 days a week. Andre has you use the first month to get your nutrition in order but as Im pretty Paleo Im going to start the drills straight away. On days where I dont have a partner available and need to work a 2 person drill I will go back over the most recent solo drill or one that caused me difficulty and catch up on the 2 person drill during the next session.

When rolling in class Im going to follow the specific pattern of starting my first roll with someone by pushing forward for top position, my second roll with that same person by pulling guard and my third roll starting under side control.

Ill keep my usual S & C routine going of:

Monday Strength/Power
Wednesday Strength/Power & Conditioning
Thursday- Strength/Power
Saturday Strength/Power & Conditioning

I work through some basic periodisation which incorporates a hypertrophy cycle, a strength cycle and a power cycle. Every fourth week is a rest week where I do no S & C work at all but continue to work my Jiu Jitsu.

My basic numbers are:
Bodyweight: A reasonably lean 68kg.
Muscle Clean: 80kg
Front Squat: 100kg
Shoulder Press: 60kg
Weighted Pull Up: 47.5kg

Feedback and comments are more than welcome.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Ben Langford

Default Day 1

S & C
Hang Snatch - 5 sets of 2 @ 45kg
Split With
Power Snatch - 5 sets of 2 @ 45kg

Class
BJJ
Worked on Safety Position and the Hammerlock Pass. My legs were still fried from Saturday's workout and movement was really difficult. My brain also got up and left halfway through my second roll when I removed my own underhook when holding halfguard bottom.

Drills to Win
Back Loosening - 7 in each direction
Leg Swings - 10 in each direction

Class
Jits With Hits (MMA for Self Defence)
Worked angular entries to clinch against strikes and on developing Push/Pull reactions off an underhook and near shoulder control.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #3
Ben Langford

Default Day 2

Drills to Win
Push Ups on Swiss Ball - 3 sets of 15
Alligator Crawl - 3 sets of 15 meters

Class
BJJ
Even numbers and some new material stopped me from getting any drilling tonight but I got a few good rolls in. My first was with a fellow purple belt whom I caught in an inverted triangle - thanks Braulio Estima - armlock combination to get the tap and then controlled position pretty well in the remaining round time.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

Ben I am glad to see your log. I have been following John Will's blog since someone linked to it maybe you years ago. I enjoy his thought process and hope someday to catch him when he is in the states.

I also picked up Galvao's book and have been playing with some of the drills before class with a friend. I definitely need to get committed if I am going to work through them. I look forward to reading your log over the next year.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Ben Langford

Thanks Derek. It'll be an extra incentive to keep with it knowing that someone is reading the log and is interested in the results.

John is a fantastic coach - among the best I've ever met - and it's always well worth getting to any seminar he's giving.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
Ben Langford

Default Day 3

Really run down today. Looking forward to my rest week.

S & C
Barbell Complex
5 rounds @ 40kg
3 Snatch Grip Dead Lifts
3 Hang Power Snatches
3 Overhead Squats
3 Back Squats
3 Behind the neck push presses
2 minutes rest

Class
BJJ
Worked on the Vice Grip Butterfly guard. Opened with some light hand fighting and progressed to securing the vice grip and working for the cutting armbar or arm drag. Beyond tired when rolling today - really struggled against blue belts I normally control easily. Really need a good night's sleep and to take it easy tomorrow as I feel like I'm right on the edge.

Drills to Win
Ball Sit Through - 2 sets of 20
Plank Curl - 2 sets of 15
Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Ben Langford

Default Day 4

I'm definately coming down with something; my throat is sore and my sinuses feel all blocked up. This explains the lethargy I've been feeling all week. Hopefully be over it soon.

S&C
Skipped this today in favour of extra rest.

Drills to Win
Closed guard carry - 2 sets of a 15m walk.

Class
BJJ
Worked grip fighting to standing straight arm lock or S (Nikyo) lock. On the ground we focused on staying safe under side control and exerting a constant pressure to set up a chance for a wrist grab escape. Took it easy rolling but still managed to work some good guard passes against a high level brown belt before he smashed me.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Ben Langford

Default Day 5

Sick so didn't participate in any BJJ class.

Drills to Win
Monkey Jumps - 1 x 12m
Standing Closed Guard Sit Ups - 1 x 10
Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #9
Ben Langford

Default Day 6

S & C
Suffer on Saturday

Class
BJJ
Worked Major Outer Reap when opponent stiff arms and heavy takedown of choice into a crash mat. Lots of fun slamming people when you know that they can't get hurt. On the ground we focused on Butterfly guard to Drive Over Sweep and then transitioning to a Single Lapel Choke when your opponent resists. Good rolls all round today; pretty wrecked from Suffer earlier on but I had fun rolling with a bunch of different people. Pulled off some nice transitions that moved straight into my top game and progressed with my new choke arm lock combo from closed guard.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Ben Langford

Default Day 7

Rest Day.

Taught some boxing and Jiu Jitsu in the morning and spent the afternoon watching UFC, drinking beer and playing board games.

Still sick.