Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 10-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Ola Persson

Default Basic SS Q&A

A shoulder injury, threads like this one and common sense I guess, made me decide to do Starting Strength. (Initially I will only be squatting and deadlifting due to my injury, but will add presses as soon as possible.)

Iíve read the books and know the basics but could still use some guidance on where to start, weight-wise. Last time I squatted I did 15*125 kg (≈ 275 lbs) and deadlifted 12*152,5 kg (≈335 lbs) (Iíve been doing 5/3/1). Iím in no hurry, I donít want to stall anytime soon, and thinking of starting with 110-120 kg in the squat and 140-150 kg in the deadlift. Would that be too much?

Two other questions as well:
  1. Will it be harder for me to recover Ė and should I maybe decrease the volume Ė since Iím older, 35, than the average SS:er ?
  2. How should I ease into the press again when my shoulder has healed (compared to 5/3/1 there is an added day of pressing)?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Geoffrey Thompson

What sort of shoulder injury? The press helps rehab quite a few shoulder injuries.

Keep the volume the same. At 35, you're still okay. You might fail sooner than a 16-year-old. Or you might train smarter.

When did you do 15*125 on the squat? If it was last week, then, well, might as well start at 125. If you can do 125*15, then that's a very easy place to start with 3x5. If it wasn't last week, start with less.
Geoffrey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Jarod Barker

It's much more fun to add weight than to have to take it off, so like Geoffrey said, you're probably good to start at 125 for 3x5. If it's too easy, you can always add weight.

I obviously don't know anything about your shoulder injury, but I would keep pressing, even it's only a broomstick. Just keeping your shoulder moving through a range of motion will help you to maintain mobility. After having my foot casted, my ankle is noticeably less flexible than the other, so I think keeping a joint moving is critical to regaining full function after an injury. If you can move it without pain, I would do so.

And definitely ease into the press. A coach of mine once compared returning from an injury like walking across a frozen pond. You wouldn't just run out into the middle because you have no idea how thick the ice is. You start off at the edge, and you work your way in slowly watching for any signs that the ice is getting thin. I made a new rule for myself, and maybe it'll help you too, anytime I think I'm ready for something, give it one more week before I try it. I hope that in the long run, I avoid reinjury by forcing myself to progress slower.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Ola Persson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Thompson View Post
What sort of shoulder injury?
Supraspinatus tendinos, an inflammation so pressing is out of the question for the time being.

My last squat session was this wednesday, so given your answers I guess that ≈ 125 kg is a good starting point.

Thanks for the replies!