Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Default Dr Verkhoshansky on Olympic Weightlifting programming

(creator of the Conjugate Sequence system, the shock method (plyometrics), introduced special strength training methods to David Rigert in the 80s)

I've had this in the back of my mind for while, anyways thought I'd share it. If they ever release the new version of his book, it's definitely something to look into.

http://www.verkhoshansky.com/Forum/t...s/Default.aspx

The interesting thing about this, is that earlier this year when Sean posted Kendrick's program on Goheavy, it is parallel to Verk's work. If anyone has any information on Verk's work related to this, I'm very very interested. By the way, the concentrated volume block would be in A, specific 1RMing is in C, which isn't depicted in the picture
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Brian DeGennaro

About how long does Verkhoshansky recommend these blocks to be? I'd assume between 4-6 weeks and the C block 2-3?
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
About how long does Verkhoshansky recommend these blocks to be? I'd assume between 4-6 weeks and the C block 2-3?
That's what I'm thinking, it's probably written down somewhere.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Arien Malec

What would a typical microcyle look like with that model?
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
What would a typical microcyle look like with that model?
That's what I'd like to find out.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Andrew Wilson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
If they ever release the new version of his book, it's definitely something to look into.
Has anyone else grabbed a copy of this yet? My copy came in this week, he has a 6 week "SST program for increasing maximal strength" for weightlifting. Interesting stuff, supposed to be used in 2-3 cycles with 2 weeks of restoration in between.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
brandon green

Cool Application to bodybuilding ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
(creator of the Conjugate Sequence system, the shock method (plyometrics), introduced special strength training methods to David Rigert in the 80s)

I've had this in the back of my mind for while, anyways thought I'd share it. If they ever release the new version of his book, it's definitely something to look into.

http://www.verkhoshansky.com/Forum/t...s/Default.aspx

The interesting thing about this, is that earlier this year when Sean posted Kendrick's program on Goheavy, it is parallel to Verk's work. If anyone has any information on Verk's work related to this, I'm very very interested. By the way, the concentrated volume block would be in A, specific 1RMing is in C, which isn't depicted in the picture
******* On an off subject i am performing an experimental program for bodybuilding using block periodization and some methods that might seem controversial ? If any one is interested I can post.
Brandon Green
brandon green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Blair Lowe

Do it. Generally, I'm not too interested in hypertrophy but there are times it is programmed for at the OTC for gymnastics I know.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
brandon green

Smile From my experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post
Do it. Generally, I'm not too interested in hypertrophy but there are times it is programmed for at the OTC for gymnastics I know.
******** OK. This comes from my experiences as a client of Dr. Michael Yessis in the 80's as well as in the 90's from Jay Schroeder in addition to Inno sport,Kelley Baggett and conversations with Alex Vasquez at Evolutionaryathletics.com. So i have 6 concentrated load blocks with one predominate method (so i can ride the wave of LDTE after each) executed in this order- Long duration Iso, Plyometric(jumps,depth jumps and altitude),CAT(compensatory acceleration-50-80% of 1rm),Max effort(85-100% of 1rm),Hypertrophy(75-90% of 1 rm), Definition(30-40% of 1rm). First is
Long duration Iso- BTW i include many gymnastic progressions in this stage

Foundational Exercise for Plyometric Workouts
By Evosite on October 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm
Posted In: Articles
Make sure you subscribe to my FREE Newsletter - Click Here Now for EXCLUSIVE members only content!
We all know that there are significant benefits of performing plyometric exercises. Increases in speed strength, explosive strength, reactive ability, muslce stiffness, on the field performance to name a few. In the past it has been said that one must improve their squat numbers to 1.5x body weight before engaging in plyometric exercises.
More recently strength coach Jay Schroeder has flipped this equation upside down by insisting that you must be able to absorb force before you can create force. Coach Schroeder uses a variety of plyometric exercises to teach the body how to absorb force. Thusly it appears that he thinks that one should engage in plyometric exercise before moving into force production (DE and ME weifhtlifting)
Now to hop around. Don’t worry I will circle back by the end of the post so that this makes sense.
Recently I was reading an issue of Men’s Health (I know, everyones resource for cutting edge information). Well what struck me about this issue and prompted me to plop down my $5 for a copy was an article titled something like “Everything you know about your muscles is wrong”. Surely I am not wrong. Am I?
Well the premise of the article is simple. Your muscles are inclosed in sheaths of connective tissue (myofascia). It was previously thought that these sheaths just connected the muscles together. Research in the past few years has lead to a discovery that these sheaths contain neural organs and nerves. This has lead to the concept that maybe the stretching and releasing of elastic tension in the sheaths is a major controller in how we move. Perhaps these sheaths act not just as passive movers but primary movers. The authors also note that when the myofasica tightens up that knots can form and proper movement patterns are impaired. These movement impairments can be eliminates with finding the source of the impairment (it’s not always where the pain is) and then breaking it up through massage or various movement patterns. In the article they mantion a simple leg circle drill that increases range of motion in the hamstring. This kind of reminded me of Z-Health drills (not enough time to talk about this)
Anyone who knows about the works of Wannagetfast and inno-sport, and even Schroeder, knows that they place a heavy emphasis on movement efficiency. For example in running, movement efficiency is associated with running economy where the runners learn to rely more heavily on the elastic contributions of connective tissue. If trained properly this tissue can absorb and release a tone of energy which translated to a faster, more explosive athlete. So how do we develop this ability, or even improve on our own natural myofascia?
Perhaps the answer lies in LDISOS or Extreme Isometrics. Here is my thinking…
The holds are done in the stretch position. This stretch should break up any myfascial knots allowing for free, unrestricted active ranges of motion. Holding the stretch not onnly breaks up the knots BUT also serves as a teaching mechanism. Since the stretch position is held vor a pretty long time (5 minutes is far longer than most static stretches are held for) and the myofascia has neural receptors it can communicate to the CNS that this myofascial neural length is OK, thus preventing the buildup of knots and scar tissue. In addition since the holds are active, there is constant communication with the CNS.
In addition to alleviating compensation patterns there is another potential benefit. That being the build up of MORE myofascia. Research has shown that connective tissue synthesis occurs when lactic acid levels are the highest. Well in a LDISO blood flow is restricted for a very extended period of time. Without oxygen the muscles rely on anaerobic metabolism with which lactic acid build up is a by product. There is far more LA build up during LDISOS that what is attained normally thoguh weight training because blood flow is restricted. This sends a powerful signal to the body to build more connective tissue. And since the tissue is being stretched the odds are the new tissue will be void of knots, scar tissue, and any other imparments.
All of this extra myofascia is akin to placing a giant spring inside of your muscles. Unfortunately this tissue, when built, tends to be quite non-elastic. So how can we take this new development and make it more elastic? How can we teach it to efficiently absorb and release energy?
Plyometrics!
See, in Schroeders system athletes begin with LDISOS before they move into plyos. They must hold for 5 minutes for 40 consecutive sessions. This may be the ammount of tome Jay has deemed necessary to rid the body of compensation patterns and stimulate the development of enough myofascia to commence training. Of course inelastic tissue is more prone to inury so You would prime the tissue with reactive work to teach the tissue to become more elastic. Once this is done (fixed compensation, development of adequate connective tissue, trained the tissue to absorb and release energy) the athlete begins weight training to put some horsepower in their muscles so that they can use the new springs even more effectively.
Now that I have circled back, the article in the magazine went into this old kettlebell stuff and some of Pavel’s teachings which, while interesting, are far from cutting edge now days.
Hopefully I have stimulated some braincells in you. If yu are interested in football weight training, basketball weight training, or plyometric workouts, the addition of LDISOS may be benefit your program.
Until next time,
Alex
└ Tags: basketball weight training, extreme isometrics, football weight training, plyometric workouts
8 Comments
Blogroll
Citius, Altius, Fortius- Sports Training with Ryan
Evolutionary Athletics Home
Get Higher with Raptor
Singularity Sports Training with Roger Nelsen Jr.
Spike302- Training with Joe Trinsey
Training Talk with Jeremy Layport
Contributors
Evolutionary Athletics
2009-2012 Evolutionary Athletics | Powered by WordPress with Easel | Subscribe: RSS | Back to Top ↑

Last edited by brandon green; 07-23-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: length
Old 07-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
brandon green

Smile More LDISO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post
************* Here is more explanation-

Isometrics
By Jeremy Layport on November 23, 2009 at 2:34 am
Posted In: Uncategorized
Isometrics
When was the last time you heard the term Isometric? When was the last time you heard of a coach or athlete who used Isometrics in their training? If you are like most people, your father and grandfather were the last guys that who utilized iso’s, doing countertop curl holds before bed time. Most view this training method as another passing fad that has died a slow and meaningless death. The remainder of this article will shed some very interesting and exciting light on this underutilized yet powerful training method.
Isometric, meaning constant (iso) meter (metric), or no change in muscle length during a muscular contraction is part of the “classical” repetition. If we look at the three phases of movement, there is the pliometric or eccentric loading phase followed by the isometric, coupling, or amortization phase and lastly the miometric or concentric phase. As you can see in the down and up repetition, you are performing a brief isometric contraction whether known or unknown, but typically not emphasized. The misconceptions that isometrics are not beneficial or challenging enough are profound. The underlying research has stated that the only strength gains made from isometrics are fifteen to thirty degrees from the joint angle trained (not entirely true), thus filing this method up there with bosu strength training in the beneficial category.
The first major benefit from isometric training methodic would be to teach proper position. It never fails, every year, a new crop of freshmen who of about eighty percent have no training background at all. Worst is, of the twenty percent that have training background, they have the worst technique and movement patterns known to man. Of the two, I’d always rather start with the clean slate then try to re-wire bad motor programs to adolescents who think their dad knows everything about training and couldn’t have been leading them down a dark path. But, none the less that is the job description. First thing in teaching newbie’s or the dysfunctional is to teach proper position. Proper position means correct technique and injury free training (To learn more on proper position read Dan Fichter’s article on the subject The Purpose Position ). Pavel Tsatsouline says, “Strengthen the top position and bottom position and everything in the middle will fall into place.” Isometrics, even if brief in duration, accomplish this goal and can easily be administered to a large group. Using the isometrics, trainees have less distraction and more time under tension in those particular positions to “feel” the proper muscles working and understand how to get there.
“Feeling” the proper muscles fire brings me to the second great benefit of this methodic, proper muscle recruitment patterns. When a trainee has less distraction and more time to put his “mental intent” on the correct musculature (as long as position is maintained), he/she develops a better body awareness or kinesthesia. In teaching dynamic movements right out of the gate, often times, too much is going on and the trainee typically will just go through the movement as best as possible without really getting a chance to make it internal. That internal process is always what leads to a greater understand and depth of mastery for any new skill. Jay Schroeder of Evo-Sport and Ultra-fit, might be the master at this with his “Extreme Isometrics.” Don’t let the name fool you too much, what truly seems to be going on here is an active yielding isometric hold in the deepest position possible for (what seems to me the longest time possible) five minutes. This in actuality becomes a quasi-isometric action; As you pull down into the deepest position possible you start to fatigue and slowly pull yourself deeper and deeper. Regardless, Jays trainee’s are learning how to actively pull themselves down instead of just giving in to gravity and fall into position. This is one of the biggest obstacle for most as we are accustomed to collapsing into the car seat or “plopping down” on the coach. We don’t move like the yester-years of our childhood anymore and we should be ashamed. We first off taught ourselves how to do it right as we started to crawl and walk, but shortly after that , we got lazy! We gave in to the status quo and now we can’t squat down without knee or back pain. In trying to accomplish Jay’s five minute “Extreme Isometrics” your body is forced to find the most optimal firing patterns as your body fights to maintain position for the insanely long duration.
Next benefit in line would have to be active flexibility. Note that this is only the case when the isometric contraction is at the deepest joint angle possible (while maintaining position). Going back to Schroeder’s Extreme Isometrics, as fatigue sets in, you’ll pull yourself lower and lower developing greater ROM using strength. Active flexibility is the only type of flexibility that has any carry over in to actual performance settings. Schroeder’s Extreme Isometrics it has been theorized increase fascial length, which in turn has been correlated to increased running speeds or ability. The increase in lactic acid and metabolites at the extreme end ranges of motion has also been theorized to increase fascia thickness in elongated states. Once again, possibly increasing your ability for ROM and speed!
Getting down to the fundamentals there are two basic types of isometrics, yielding and overcoming. Both have very separate and distinct training effects. Yielding is holding a given load at a particular angel (typically bottom of movement) for a designated time. As previously covered this becomes a super slow eccentric or quasi-isometric movement with enough fatigue and has a major training effect on your connective tissue or series elastic component of the muscle. This is great for strengthening tendons and fascia and is an excellent preparatory stage for speed strength or plyometric work. Typically longer durations work best, holding for 15-35 seconds in length is most beneficial.
Overcoming isometrics on the other hand is for sticking points and generating power. Overcoming isometrics have also been referred to as sticking point training, where the trainee will exert maximal force against an immovable object at a particular joint angle that is a weak point of the movement. Louie Simmons’s conjugate method of training which has produced some of the most prolific powerlifters ever is all about, “training your weakness” and overcoming isometrics is one of the most specific ways to accomplish that. This can be very stressful and demanding on the connective tissue so, durations are typically short. No more then 5-15 seconds in duration would be recommended due to the stress and strain. Doing a set or two of overcoming isometrics followed immediately by a set of the regular lift can also have a potentiating effect on the lift. Performance plateaus and sticking points can be a thing of the past.
Continuing on to the potentiating effect of isometrics, Dr. Yuri Verkhoshansky has stated that an isometric contraction followed by a concentric dynamic movement will increase the force of the movement by up to twenty percent! This has help given rise to the static-dynamic method of training, which most intermediate and advanced trainee’s due to some degree automatically with most lifting movements. Prior to performing a big lift, you can witness advanced lifters pre-tense their bodies and develop full body tension to help rip the weight off the floor or explode the bar up. In “Inno-Speak” this is your Isometric Miometric (ISO-MIO) work, which develops that explosive rapid acceleration like jumping or throwing. Hang cleans are also utilize this effect (if done correctly) and that is why they can be beneficial. Jay Schroeder has his Explosive Dynamic Isometrics (EDI’s) which utilize this effect as well. This potentiating effect is extremely beneficial in developing “Starting Strength” and “Acceleration Strength.” These two factors make an athlete explosive off the line and lighting quick!
Potentiating complex’s for you to try on your own at the gym.
Movement: Bench Press
Try performing 3-5sec. maximal Overcoming Isometrics then rest for 2-5minutes before performing maximal bench press singles.
Movement: Pull Up
Try holding a 10 sec. Yielding Isometric then rest for 2-5 minutes before performing pull ups.
Movement: Glute Ham Raise
Have a partner manually resist you as you try to pull up for 5-15 seconds, them rest for 2-5 minutes, followed by reactive glute ham raises.
Using Iso’s and complexing Iso’s into your training will enhance performance during training primarily which will cultivate to a better performance on the playing field. In the group teaching settings where equipment and space are usually a limiting factor, isometrics side step the problem as equipment and space are typically minimal at worst. Skill retention and mastery are aided with the utilization of Iso’s first or mixed with other methods to enhance understanding and performance. Try giving the complex’s above a try during your next workout and see the benefits first hand.
Until next time
Jeremy Layport, MA, RKC TL, C.S.C.S., USA WL1
Brandon
Most of my athletes don’t have the focus or desire (Jay’s PIPES) that LDISO’s require there for I’m not sure about the results piece of it. For teaching correct muscle firing, position, and flexibility I have seen great benefits form the Iso’s. I’m hoping Jay holds a seminar on the west coast in the near future so I can grasp LDISO’s even better.
As for your question regarding Iso’s and rate work for the bodybuilding community, yes they do have a benefit. Jay and Poliquin both have an arm workout that has Iso’s and rate work in it, that claims to increase the arms 1 inch for 24hr period. Christian Thib’s I Body Builder on T-Nation shows him doing some rate work and maximal explosive overcoming Iso curls. Nothing will set up hypertrophy better then power work.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by brandon green; 07-23-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: addition