Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default Bodyworlds

I was in Phoenix for an event today and happened to have paid for all-day parking walking distance from the BodyWorlds exhibit! It was basically an anatomical display of human bodies. I guess people donate their bodies and there's a whole process the artist/anatomist folks do to preserve them using plastination. They were put in different poses to illustrate different uses of the human body. I kind of realized when I was looking at some of the female plastinates that I've really seen very very few female models in studying anatomy; it's almost always primarily men. So that was really really cool. They also had fetuses at different stages of development. Oh, and in some cases they compared individual tissues and organs that were healthy with those that were unhealthy, showing smoker's lungs next to healthy lungs, knees with and without arthritis, examples of scoliosis, hip dysplasia, etc. It was pretty incredible. Also they had...oh I forget what it's called when you take a slice of something and then put glass on both sides, but they had all kinds of those...brains, organs, etc. Even an entire body of a very obese man that eventually died of heart failure. I mean the whole thing really captured the good, the bad and the ugly. Just fascinating.

Also they had these great books which I fell in love with at the gift shop--one was called Strength Training Anatomy and the other is Strength Training Anatomy for Women. Both are by Frederic Delavier, and they basically show you each muscle used during an exercise and how it interacts with the joints and skeletal structure that surrounds it. It's got the exercise description (with anatomical analyses of common training injuries and how to prevent them) side by side with the X-ray drawings of the exercises. I thought they were amazing! The exercises featured are mostly isolation exercises and are divided by body part, but whatever. It's cool enough to make up for it. Anyways, you can look at it here: http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Train.../dp/0736041850 and the girl book is here: http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Train...3167328&sr=1-2 and I think the book is way cool enough to make up for some of the ineffective exercises a lot of women do. I have the Anatomy Coloring Book and am always looking up muscles, etc. when people describe what someone might be doing wrong form-wise, but I can never really connect what they say with my very limited understanding of anatomy, but this book makes it soooo easy. And it's especially useful I think for people who are mostly interested in anatomy in the context of strength training.

I'm almost as excited about these two books as I am about finding McGill's Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance for $40 instead of $98! I am a happy girl.

Thought I'd share.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
JW Luckett

We had one of those exhibits in town a few years ago. Took the wife and kids. Absolutely fascinating. We stayed for a few hours. I could easily have stayed for days. And since these exhibits have drawn some controversy, I would like to note that they were done in good taste and with obvious respect for the original owners.
JW Luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Also they had...oh I forget what it's called when you take a slice of something and then put glass on both sides, but they had all kinds of those...brains, organs, etc.
Cross-section?
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
Yael Grauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forbis View Post
Cross-section?
Yes, thank you Chris. There were a lot of cross-sections. Just amazing.

I agree that everything was done in good taste, and unlike some of the copycat exhibits, there's really no controversy in this one about where the bodies came from.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Steve Liberati

Took wife and our little cousins to the one in Philly last year. Amazing to say the least. Favorite one was the skeleton model "muscles in motion" pedaling on a gigantic, oversized bike. Sad to say, but couldn't stop thinking about the potential money maker in marketing such a large framed bike (HUGE tires) to consumers. The word of mouth of seeing someone ride down the street on one those would be exponential. Only if I had hundreds of bucks to build a Hummer size bike for kids....hehe
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

There's a couple tall bikes floating around Tucson. Here's a pic: http://bicas.org/archive/bicas2005/html/artworkshop.htm

I'm not sure how legal it is to ride them.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Wish we took a picture of the large bike. The height of the wheels was about 4 1/2 feet high alone. Although it was enormous, the bike appeared to be rather functional and designed for use, rather than design only. Surprised no one else mentioned noticed this huge bike...guess most ppl were focused on the exhibits, and not on finding the next ipod...lol.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote