Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Peter Evans

Default Fixing an AC separation?

I've re-injured my shoulder - causing another AC separation...

I love Oly lifting, running and some body weight movements.

Has anyone had experience with re-habing an AC seperation with any paticular movements?

The last time it happened ( Oct 2011) I was prescribed dumbbell flies and knee push ups which I never really did, and I was crap about my mobility work too.

However Oly lifting, pull ups and running has been great until I added some KB swings and push ups yesterday.. especially the push ups... because feels like the worst position for my shouler injury.

I'm going to a physio to get the grade of injury assessed - I believe its relatively minor (grade 1/ 2) at a guess.

Any feed back as to how to make my shoulders strong for Oly lifting again would be incredibly welcome!

Many thanks!

Last edited by Peter Evans; 02-05-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: update injury info
Peter Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

This is a general post I wrote up for it:

Quote:
Basically, what you do with AC joint is rest, massage the muscles around the area to increase blood flow for healing + keep the muscles from tightening up, fish oil for anti-inflammatory, ice if it helps. + non-painful mobility work

Once it start feeling better improve range of motion with non-painful movement, and start strengthening rotator cuff muscles to make the shoulder more stable.

Then work slowly back into compound movements.

Usually each of these steps will take 2-4 weeks each. Can take more or less depending on how your body recovers -- to improve recovery capacity take the fish oil, sleep more, eat quality foods, etc.
Let me know if you need anymore details.

2-4 weeks was if it was a grade 2 or 3.... maybe 1-2 weeks if it's a minor grade sprain for each stage. Depends on how fast it heals though -- some people have worse blood flow to shoulders than others.

Obviously, information off the Internet is at your own risk...
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Peter Evans

Steven, thank you very much for your reply!

Please may I ask,

Are there any particular rotator cuff exercises you've found most effective for rehab?

And from a pre-hab perspective would you also include those exercises once the shoulder is working pain free to mitagate (sp) future problems or would Oly lifting + pressing and pull ups be enough?

Thank you once again!

Peter
Peter Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Derek Simonds

Peter having just gone through this I have a couple of suggestions. First though I have to agree with Steven any information you get from us is worth what you paid for it... I have seen a PT for shoulder rehab once already so I was up to speed on what to do when I separated my shoulder.

This is probably the easiest thing to link to as it is a complete prehab/rehab protocol. I use the exercises in this a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec

This is another great video from Mike Robertson. In this video he does a great job explaining what muscles you are activating and how it should fee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlhBg...eature=related

The biggest challenge in using these exercises is that if you don't understand how they are supposed to feel you might miss out on the particular area that you are trying to activate. The main thing that I think about in all of theses exercises is scapular retraction and external rotation of the shoulder joint. Push Up Plus from the knees is still extremely painful for me today (I am 5 weeks post op on my shoulder) but I am doing them consistently.

The other big thing I can offer is to make sure that your pushing is balanced by doing at least the same volume in pulling. My goal is 2 to 3 times as much pulling work as pushing.

And yes I believe that this is something that needs to be done consistently if you have had problems in the past like I have.

YMMV and all the rest of that stuff. Hope that this helps some.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Any of the typical RC exercises are fine

Derek posted up some good resources too
Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Derek Simonds

I need to hit one other item. I don't think that you can ultimately fix a shoulder separation. I think it is something that once done is done forever. I think it heals and stops hurting but I think it will always be separated.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I need to hit one other item. I don't think that you can ultimately fix a shoulder separation. I think it is something that once done is done forever. I think it heals and stops hurting but I think it will always be separated.
You would be correct.

Making GH and scapula more stable will help though.

When one joint gets more unstable, other joints need more stability to take up the slack