Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
gerasimos kourtis

Default question about core strength

hello.i am 10 years olympic weightlifter.i have a major problem in front squat.i have stuck and i cant improve any more.my best front squat is 130 kgr for 8 months now.i believe the major problem is the core or upper back strength problem because when the load goes above 90% my upper back become kuphotic.a friend of mine told me to perform abs-lats exercise between squat sets to strengthen the core.also i read in the net that if the rhomboids and upper back muscles will be stronger this help in front squat,so i think to start face pulls and power raise for strengthen the rhomboids muscles.because i am little confused can you give me some advices to start a training program for core muscles?how often is ideal to train the core,with how many exercises and how many sets and reps?(i ask for these parametres because i dont want to overtrain)..i am looking forward to hearing for you...eg:also i have along femur and my somatotype isnt the best for squat
gerasimos kourtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Do more front squats with weights that allow you to maintain a perfect position - build up a lot of volume there.

Make sure you have good thoracic spine mobility - if you can't extend the upper back adequately, it will be much harder to maintain the correct posture.

Good mornings focusing on upper back extension, back extensions, bent rows w focus on upper back extension.

Also make sure you have adequate ankle and hip flexibility - if you have long femurs and poor flexibility, your hips will be tor far back, and the torque on your upper back will increase, making it even harder to maintain proper extension.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

You can front squat every day if you want - maybe 70-75% or so for triples, 5 sets or a few more, just to build up the volume of proper squatting. Focus on extending the upper back forcefully and reduce the weight if you're losing the proper position. You can do some or all of these as pause squats, making sure to force the extension as you rise from the bottom.

Also make sure when you recover that you're keeping your head up, not tilting it down/forward.

Good mornings, 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps, 2-4 days/wk. Bent rows 3-5 sets of 8-15, 2-3 days/wk.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 05-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
gerasimos kourtis

hello greg for your advice.it was very helpful.a last question.for how long to train lwith this way in front squat(with this volume and intensity?).for 8-12 week cycle?at the end of this cycle is ideal to attempt maximum attempt in front squat or earlier?thank you again for your help...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

I would try maybe 6 weeks - you should be able to get significant progress in that time frame. You can always return to it later.

You can try a max fs at the end of it; if your back is really limiting you and you get it considerably stronger, you may make a PR. But it won't be a strength program in the purest sense, so you may not see a PR, but what you're trying to do is shore up a weakness that's holding you back. After you make progress with that, you can push the overall strength more.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
gerasimos kourtis

thank you again for your response...greg can ask you some general questions for weightlifting training in the near future?than you again for your help...
eg:in good morning and bent over rows is ideal to try increase the weight each week or to stay with same weight for the certain number of reps in this 6-week period?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Greg Everett
Administrator

you can ask all the questions you want on this forum - i do my best to answer.

Re good mornings and bent rows, try to increase slightly every 1-2 sessions as tolerated. In both cases make the back extension a priority over the weight itself.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
gerasimos kourtis

hello greg.thank you for the useful informations which gave to me.now i want to ask a few question more about weightlifting training:
1)i have a little problem to keep the right position in second pull in snatch.is haltind deadlift from 2'' inches platform a good assistance exercise to strengthen the muscles for this position?2)because my long femur i have the bad habit sometimes to start the first pull with the toes and not with the heels(but not too much so the barbell goes forward and lose the right position to pull the bar is second pull phase).do you know any exercise which help me?also i wear the adidas shoes which havent wooden heel.this shoe makes me to pull with the toe or isnt a problem for this habit?(i read your article about technique and long leg and it was terrific.3)if a lifter has the habit to raise the hips faster than the legs in the beginning of the snatch/clean a good assistance exercise to strengthen lowe back and hamstring is to slowdown the barbell asnatch/clean pull and fix this problem?4)which is your opinion about snatch/clean with small weights or from 2''inches platform?is good choice for a lifter who has weak first pull?my friend these are my question i hope you casn to answer to it and help me.i am looking forward to hearing for you...
Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Greg Everett
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerasimos kourtis View Post
1)i have a little problem to keep the right position in second pull in snatch.is haltind deadlift from 2'' inches platform a good assistance exercise to strengthen the muscles for this position?
Yes, this is a good exercise. You can also do this exercise without letting the bar touch the floor - bring it down as close to the floor without touching as possible.

Quote:
2)because my long femur i have the bad habit sometimes to start the first pull with the toes and not with the heels(but not too much so the barbell goes forward and lose the right position to pull the bar is second pull phase).do you know any exercise which help me?also i wear the adidas shoes which havent wooden heel.this shoe makes me to pull with the toe or isnt a problem for this habit?(i read your article about technique and long leg and it was terrific.
You can do halting snatch deadlifts to the knee - focus on perfect posture and immediately shifting your weight back as you lift the bar, so that when you stop at the knee, your position and balance are correct. These don't need to be very heavy - use only a weight that allows you to do it properly.

Quote:
3)if a lifter has the habit to raise the hips faster than the legs in the beginning of the snatch/clean a good assistance exercise to strengthen lowe back and hamstring is to slowdown the barbell asnatch/clean pull and fix this problem?
Yes, doing snatches and cleans with a slow first pull will help correct the problem along wiith the halting snatch/clean deadlifts to both the knee and the hip/upper thigh.

Quote:
4)which is your opinion about snatch/clean with small weights or from 2''inches platform?is good choice for a lifter who has weak first pull?
If you're on a platform, you shouldn't also need small weights - use small weights only if you don't have a platform. If the platform is too high, you can't get into a good start position. You want to add some additional range of motion but not change the mechanics of the movement, so usually 2-4" platform is enough.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
gerasimos kourtis

thank you greg for the anwer to my questions.also i want to tell you that in my club we have a 4'' inch platform but is too high for me to start from here in the snatch but in clean is ok.so i perform the snatch and snatch pulls with small weight for increase the range of motion and strngthen the first pull.i perform dobles -triples with 70-85% from my best snatch-clean(in snatch with small weights and clean from 4''inch platform).is ideal to perform max attempts in this exercise or not?also in halting deadlift to knee is ideal to stop at the knee for 3 sec for example?weights with 80-100% from my best snatch for 3 reps for 3-5 sets is good to perform or you suggest anything else?thank you again for the help.i am looking forward to hearing for you