Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Geoff Hegedus

Cool Light aerobics to assist recovery rate in Masters weightlifters

They say the recovery rate drops as you get older and certainly when I was in my 30s and ambitiously lifting there were many twice a day sessions and the body used to recover pretty well. Now as I'm in my 50s the desire to work hard is still there but when experimenting with 7-8 sessions per week the progress stops completely. It appears that 3 per day is the order of the day for me now. One thought comes to mind and that is whether the recovery rate could be increased by doing light non-ballistic aerobics, the idea being that waste products in the muscles would be removed more quickly. When younger I wouldn't have entertained this but only being able to effectively do 3 sessions per week still seems lazy to me. Anyone got any thoughts on this please?
Geoff Hegedus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Van oneill

I row on the concept 2 on recovery days. It has made a difference.
Van oneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

If you're comparing doing absolutely no activity on non-training days to doing some light aerobic work, then yes, the latter should help you recover faster/better. I think you'd get a similar result, but added benefits, to instead doing some extensive mobility work, i.e. dynamic warm-up type exercises. That will give you the low-level aerobic work but also contribute to better mobility - of which few people have a totally ideal amount of, and certainly when in your 50s, mobility needs to be made a priority.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Matt Foreman

"I think you'd get a similar result, but added benefits, to instead doing some extensive mobility work, i.e. dynamic warm-up type exercises."

This is what I would do (and it's what I do myself, actually). And if it matters, I only train twice a week now. Those two workouts are pretty long and tough, but it's all I can do with my schedule. I feel great and the lifts go really well. Don't be afraid to listen to your body.
Matt Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
Dave Van Skike

I train for strongman and highland games so slightly different focus but I would bet I get a lot more beat up overall. What works for me is, do a regular gym warm up and go for a walk or something like a walk (cycle, whatever)
steady easy cardio...very light for at least an hour, short little sessions don't cut it.

Other things which help in addition to the whole rolling and stretching (i rarely do these) is band good mornings, band face pulls, band press-downs and band curls. this helps pump blood into all the areas I get sore, shoulders upper back and lower back, forearms and elbows.

Alternatively very light squatting every day has helps too. Light though, leave it at a plate or two.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Van oneill

I like Matt and Gregs idea of Dynamic mobility work. So i will leave off rowing. On a side note, I have always done static stretching after a workout but now i do much better with Greg's dynamic warm up routine before and after workouts. btw i am about to be 53 .
Van oneill is offline   Reply With Quote